Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help need advice

Ok I had surgery 2 weeks and 5 days ago on April 21st. I lost 16 pounds post op on liquid diet but have only lost 5 pounds since surgery....I am not eating actual carbs except for drinking milk, yogurt and a little cheese.....I live off of eggs chicken and pad salsa with a Protein Shake in the morning....has anyone else gone through this? I am def not getting in my 64 oz of liquid a day but I am trying.....advice?

First, what stage are you in? I can't tell from your description. some people are still on liquids 2 weeks out, some have graduated to purees.

Second, you can't drive yourself crazy with the scale, especially in the first month. Your body has one goal right now: healing from surgery. Stay off the scale if you're going to judging your performance on the scale alone. Get out those postop instructions and follow them to the letter. If you are, then you're successful, OK?

Protein and fluids first. Have you tried different temperatures of fluids?

Contrary to popular belief, weight doesn't just automatically fall off of people post-op. For *some* people it seems to, but certainly not for everyone. 5 pounds in 2 weeks is awesome! You are recovering from major surgery, likely have a lot of internal swelling, and your body is adapting and adjusting to all of this craziness. This early out, you shouldn't be worrying about the scale (arguably you shouldn't be worrying about it at ANY point). You should be focusing on four simple things:

1. getting your Water in
  2. getting your Protein in
  3. taking your meds and Vitamins as directed
  4. getting up and moving every hour or two

That's it! If you do those things, you will lose weight! Follow your surgeon's/nutritionist's plan. They know what they are talking about!

I gained 12 pounds in the hospital, from IV liquids. It took me two weeks to lose that and get back to where I started. Then I hit the dreadful third week stall and stayed there for two weeks. Then finally the weight started coming off.

I purée the boiled eggs, chicken and salsa....they actually gave me puréed Soup 3 Rd day in hospital....I did liquid for a week after...I have to work on my Water consumption....but there is only so much room in there....I guess I consider myself healed as I didn't find the surgery as bad as a c-section and a hysterectomy.....but really it is only 2 in a half weeks out....just feels like it should be faster.....

I purée the boiled eggs, chicken and salsa....they actually gave me puréed Soup 3 Rd day in hospital....I did liquid for a week after...I have to work on my Water consumption....but there is only so much room in there....I guess I consider myself healed as I didn't find the surgery as bad as a c-section and a hysterectomy.....but really it is only 2 in a half weeks out....just feels like it should be faster.....

Nope. You may not have as much pain as with other surgeries, but healing takes as long as it takes. there is no hurrying it.

If you can tolerate fluids OK, get those fluids in, fluids kinda run right through your sleeve. it will get easier as the swelling goes down.

It's hard with Water and liquids I the beginning due to the internal swelling. Once you are past that, water does't take up any room as long as you aren't eating and drinking at the same time. It will pass right through your sleeve as quickly as you can drink it. So you just have to hang in there and do your best for a little longer.

@@Myka99 most people take months to feel normal, even 6 or 8 months. It was about 7.5 months for me. Your body heals externally within about 3-4 months but it takes an entire year to heal fully internally. So be kind and patient with your body. it has been through a huge, traumatic thing! Work on your health and the weight loss will follow. :)

Thank you everyone....I felt like I was doing something wrong but never took into consideration the fact that I am internally healing as well....I will just do my thing and go on the scale once every 2 weeks or so....and go by my clothes and body.... .