Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Researching doctors in Mexico

I have a good feeling about several doctors but now I want to narrow it down to the finalist.

I will be going to Mexico for my surgery. For those who have gone to Mexico how did you research the doctors and facilities?

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I read a LOT about all of the doctors I was considering. I looked for as many personal accounts as I could. I PM'd people on these forums who had used the surgeons I was considering to ask them what their experiences had been. I read all fo the information the coordinators sent me. I read all of the info available on their web sites. And I did good old-fashioned Google searches.

I read a LOT about all of the doctors I was considering. I looked for as many personal accounts as I could. I PM'd people on these forums who had used the surgeons I was considering to ask them what their experiences had been. I read all fo the information the coordinators sent me. I read all of the info available on their web sites. And I did good old-fashioned Google searches.

Thank you. I was wondering if I was missing something. For me it's not about the money it's about the experience. I don't want to regret going to a specific doctor and have no recourse.

My decision to go to Mexico was based on having my VSG by one doctor. I researched him like I did for those doctors in my area. I know a couple of friends that had their surgery done by him. He has a lot of information from his patients available online. I read everything I could find about him and his patients. I watch all his YT videos and I even talked to/emailed a few patients (list provided by his coordinator) that live in my area and traveled to have their surgery done.

I have no regrets and so thankful for my experience with him before surgery and now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have a good feeling about several doctors but now I want to narrow it down to the finalist.

I will be going to Mexico for my surgery. For those who have gone to Mexico how did you research the doctors and facilities?

Hi, I was sleeved in Monterrey, Mexico and I chose Dr. Jeronimo Monterrubio.

I recommend him because always talked me with truth and honesty and his team are very professional and serious.

He attends in Christus Muguerza Sur in Monterrey, it's a complete hospital with equipment to respond any possible eventuality (that's very important for me). It isn't a makeshift or small hospital. All patients have a very clean and private bathroom, toilet, tv, couch and recliner. And the nursery team, are WONDERFUL!

I hope this help you.

If you have any concern, feel free to contact me.

Sent from my SM-G900M using the BariatricPal App

Edited by FabLes

I have chosen Dr. Alvarez. Hopefully in October. The only reason I am waiting is because my friend who will go with me can't take off from work until then. New job.

I have chosen Dr. Alvarez. Hopefully in October. The only reason I am waiting is because my friend who will go with me can't take off from work until then. New job.

I'm glad with my decision. I have not had any issues and things are going great. I hope yours goes as easy as mine did!

Im considering traveling to Tijuana Mexico, ive searching a good and certified Doctor since 3 months ago, im going for gastric sleeve surgery... But still trying to decide, one of my main options is "Dr. Maytorena", i think the surgery its on a really good price (3,499), which is great, and i saw all the video testimonials on YouTube Channel and everyone seems to be very satisfied with the results... Do you know about another option? Is he a good choice?

I just had my surgery in Tijuana with Dr. Illan. I had a great experience and highly recommend Baja Bariatrics.

Erin - 35 - illinois

HW:262

SW: 228

CW:220

Surgery date - 6/22/16

@@JamieLogical Would you recommend it? I am trying to find a starting point for a friend, as I was sleeved in the US; she would be coming from England, and I'd love to help her find a great surgeon to feel comfortable with. Thanks!

OCC? Absolutely. They have a fantastic facility, a world renowned surgeon, and a great team that will keep in touch with you for months and months post-op. I have heard a lot of great things on this site about the surgeons BariatrciPal is affiliated with as well. They seem to do their due diligence when vetting surgeons to partner with and seem to offer a lot of support. Definitely make sure that any surgeon your friend chooses offers follow up support and has a nutritionist on staff.

I'm glad with my decision. I have not had any issues and things are going great. I hope yours goes as easy as mine did!

I'm thinking about going with Alvarez. I'm so scared at the idea with going to Mexico.

I'm thinking about going with Alvarez. I'm so scared at the idea with going to Mexico.

I was too, but I went with the best surgeon for me, since I was self pay. I'll be honest I was scared of going to TJ Mexico but not so much of going to PN Mexico for Dr. Alvarez. There were 2 surgeons near my home state I considered as well. I felt better than I could have ever prayed for, and people at the recovery hotel questioned if I had surgery because I was up and out so soon.

You have to do what is best for you and what you're comfortable with. I have no regrets.

@@JamieLogical, did you use OCC. I have been researching Mexico and Dr. Ariel Ortiz, I like him and his facility a lot. Any tips why you chose him?

I did go with OCC. There were a couple of major factors in my decision. First was Dr. Ortiz' reputation. He is internationally respected, so that boded well.

I also preferred to have my surgery in a surgical center versus a hospital. Some people prefer hospitals because they have emergency services on site, but I prefer surgical centers because of the lower risk of infection. If you do go with a hospital in TJ, make sure it is a real hospital with a real ICU. Many "hospitals" there are little more than surgical centers themselves.

Another big factor for me was the follow-up support OCC provides. They have a nutritionist available to answer any and all questions, day or night, as well as several doctors on staff who can answer questions about medications, complications, and address any other medical concerns. Plus they continue to follow-up with me via email almost 2 years post-op now!

Finally, I had read many many personal accounts from past patients and that made me feel very confident in my decision.