Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've started my journey in January. For insurance approval I have to do a 6 month medically supervised weight loss program. I was extremely bummed out when I was told this and wanted to give up. My mom pushed me to continue.

I just had my halfway mark appointment 2 weeks ago and my team said I've been doing really good. Since January I'm down 24-28 lbs., mainly because of my extremely low carb/calorie intake. My social worker asked me if I still wanted the surgery and gave me "homework" to do. The homework is to make a pros/cons list for getting surgery. He told me not to forget that at the end of the day the weight loss center is a business and that they will push you to get the surgery because they will make more money.

I'm 23 and have struggled with my weight ALL my life. I've done Weight Watchers, Nurtisystem, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc. I loose the weight then it creeps back on. My family has a history of heart disease, diabetes, high BP and etc. I will be starting Nursing school soon and I don't want my weight to continue to get in the way of me fully living life anymore. I'm not sure what to do. I still want to get the surgery but the social worker has put doubt in my mind, and I can't stop thinking about if I'm making a huge mistake.

Any advice or opinions are welcomed. I'm totally lost right now.

Edited by ava32

Here are 1, 321 reasons to put in your Pro column.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/?hl=%20final%20%20straw

For any of us, the pre-op process was the hard part. The surgery itself is like a nap, and then you wake up with a chance to re-invent yourself. Most of us are in the hospital a couple of days and have a few lousy days when we get home. Then it gets better from there.

I could not have KEPT my weight off without WLS . I could lose it , but it always found me again. I tried for

My adult life to succeed.... Felt like a failure. Now going on 9+ years and I would do it again hands down.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions, but it would appear you have a golden opportunity to change your size and life.

@@ava32

Unless this social worker is going to carry around all your excess weight for you and take on all the medical issues, they can STFU.

My experience with the sleeve has been, once I healed, after 6 months. I function just like a normal person. The only difference is I eat 6 ounce of food max at a time. The thing is, a lot of slim healthy people don't eat that differently. I don't really eat small portions, I am eating the correct portions.

I struggled with my weight from age 20 to my late 30s. I wish I could have had the sleeve at your age. My life would have been massively different.

And yes this is totally a business, but they aren't pushing WLS in a cark alley and approaching people. I went to the clinic because my mind was already made up that I needed serious intervention and I was tired of starving myself and not getting anywhere. Now I can eat proper portions, I don't feel like I am starving and I am losing weight without a lot of stress.

The longer you are fat, the more damage you do to yourself. If you can correct it young, don't let anyone stand in your way.

I cannot even think of a single reason not to do it. I waited until 45 and although I've lost 90 lbs and I am MUCH more mobile I still have some knee issues. Do NOT wait till your knees, heart, lungs pancreas liver etc gives out. And your skin is much more likely to snap back now than in another decade. Just remember that they do the surgery on your stomach not on your head or your heart so I strongly recommend making a firm

Commitment to yourself to work on those things through therapy and/or support groups or ideally BOTH starting now. Otherwise you could one day wind up gaining the weight back. Now do what you need to do for you ... Fast as you can[emoji4] only regret most of us have is that we didn't do it sooner[emoji41]

I've started my journey in January. For insurance approval I have to do a 6 month medically supervised weight loss program. I was extremely bummed out when I was told this and wanted to give up. My mom pushed me to continue.

I just had my halfway mark appointment 2 weeks ago and my team said I've been doing really good. Since January I'm down 24-28 lbs., mainly because of my extremely low carb/calorie intake. My social worker asked me if I still wanted the surgery and gave me "homework" to do. The homework is to make a pros/cons list for getting surgery. He told me not to forget that at the end of the day the weight loss center is a business and that they will push you to get the surgery because they will make more money.

I'm 23 and have struggled with my weight ALL my life. I've done Weight Watchers, Nurtisystem, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc. I loose the weight then it creeps back on. My family has a history of heart disease, diabetes, high BP and etc. I will be starting Nursing school soon and I don't want my weight to continue to get in the way of me fully living life anymore. I'm not sure what to do. I still want to get the surgery but the social worker has put doubt in my mind, and I can't stop thinking about if I'm making a huge mistake.

Any advice or opinions are welcomed. I'm totally lost right now.

Actually, this sounds like a great idea. It sounds like he just wants to make sure you are doing this for you and not because of outside pressure.

A pro and con list will not only help you clarify your decision, it is something you can refer to when times are tough.

I also recommend you write about what you want your life to be like. A bucket list of things you want to: see, do, accomplish, experience, etc. will also be helpful.

I read a great book before surgery called the emotional toolkit that my pre op evaluator recommended. Part of that was a pros and cons list. It really helped me clarify what decision was right for me. Everyone is different but my decision was made when I had 3 in my con list and 22 in my pro list

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@ava32

Unless this social worker is going to carry around all your excess weight for you and take on all the medical issues, they can STFU.

My experience with the sleeve has been, once I healed, after 6 months. I function just like a normal person. The only difference is I eat 6 ounce of food max at a time. The thing is, a lot of slim healthy people don't eat that differently. I don't really eat small portions, I am eating the correct portions.

I struggled with my weight from age 20 to my late 30s. I wish I could have had the sleeve at your age. My life would have been massively different.

And yes this is totally a business, but they aren't pushing WLS in a cark alley and approaching people. I went to the clinic because my mind was already made up that I needed serious intervention and I was tired of starving myself and not getting anywhere. Now I can eat proper portions, I don't feel like I am starving and I am losing weight without a lot of stress.

The longer you are fat, the more damage you do to yourself. If you can correct it young, don't let anyone stand in your way.

Thank you for your words. I feel like every month I get closer to surgery another worry plagues me. One month it was fear of loose skin, then possible blood clots the next.

Thanks everyone for replying. I have made the list and the pros outweigh the cons. I just have to learn to get out of my head. I've been overthinking my whole life. I need to learn to live in the moment. ❤️

Thanks everyone for replying. I have made the list and the pros outweigh the cons. I just have to learn to get out of my head. I've been overthinking my whole life. I need to learn to live in the moment. ❤️

If you approach this process seriously, which it sounds like you are doing, you will learn and grow in so many areas that can't help but benefit you in whatever you choose to do in life.

The WLS process is like a boot camp on self development. Make the most of it!

Hey ava if you dont mind me asking what insurance do you have thats requiring all of this ps do what makes YOU happy :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have Uniform Medical, they have me jumping through hoops. Now I have to see a psychiatrist because the psychologist from the weight loss center that I meant ONCE, wrote in her notes 4 months ago that I'm extremely depressed and need to talk to someone. So now if I don't, my insurance will not approve me.