Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beef, and pork

Not sure what type of surgery you had. I underwent RNY gastric bypass. After surgery almost all meats were difficult to consume especially beef. I found that using beef and other meats in Soups and chilis made the food go down easier and the meals had significantly more flavor.

I will find out soon, but told that dry meats will be difficult to eat, and may cause digestion issues.

I was also told that BBQ'g meats will dry them out--OH NO I love BBQ. Maybe with sauces I can continue to eat BBQ.

Also, I had vertical sleeve years ago (Having revision in 1 week) and even though I chewed beef well to get past the sleeve, it did make my stomach upset for a few weeks. I think it may be just adjustment.

How far out from surgery are you? A lto of surgeon's plans don't even allow for beef or pork early on, because it can be tough on the newly sleeved.

I had bought some deli ham lunch meat shaved and tried some Saturday evening as a snack. I had two thin slices with a 1 oz piece of cheese. Those two slices seemed to be okay; it did not have any spicy seasonings to it and I chose Ham off the Bone. So no Honey Ham, Maple Ham, Bavarian Ham...anything like that. I got greedy and tried a 3rd piece. That is when everything went to pot. Instantly had pain in middle of my chest, felt nauseous, actually was in the bathroom with head over the commode. I did spit up a few times, and once felt like food was coming up, but after that time everything kind of calmed down. Did I overeat or did the ham not sit well with the tummy? I don't plan on trying the lunch meat again for a while. I also bought some turkey breast but haven't tried it yet. A bit nervous to do so.

On a side note, when I began pureed foods, I did take some chili that the husband and I had made over the winter and froze and pureed about 1/4 cup of it. The chili had meat and Beans in it and after pureeing it, was fine to eat and sat quite well. I have not ventured to try any other beef such as taco meat, steaks, etc. yet. I'm pretty much sticking with chicken, tuna, fish and that's about it.

The first beef or pork I tried was meatballs, and they worked fine. I bought a bag at the market, so they were no doubt ground more finely than if they were homemade. I had some pork tenderloin a couple weeks later, no problem. I haven't tried steak or hamburger yet. Lamb stew over the weekend was fine. I'm two months out tomorrow.

I think the trick is not trying things like this too soon.

I had bought some deli ham lunch meat shaved and tried some Saturday evening as a snack. I had two thin slices with a 1 oz piece of cheese. Those two slices seemed to be okay; it did not have any spicy seasonings to it and I chose Ham off the Bone. So no Honey Ham, Maple Ham, Bavarian Ham...anything like that. I got greedy and tried a 3rd piece. That is when everything went to pot. Instantly had pain in middle of my chest, felt nauseous, actually was in the bathroom with head over the commode. I did spit up a few times, and once felt like food was coming up, but after that time everything kind of calmed down. Did I overeat or did the ham not sit well with the tummy? I don't plan on trying the lunch meat again for a while. I also bought some turkey breast but haven't tried it yet. A bit nervous to do so.

On a side note, when I began pureed foods, I did take some chili that the husband and I had made over the winter and froze and pureed about 1/4 cup of it. The chili had meat and Beans in it and after pureeing it, was fine to eat and sat quite well. I have not ventured to try any other beef such as taco meat, steaks, etc. yet. I'm pretty much sticking with chicken, tuna, fish and that's about it.

To me that sounds a bit more like overeating than an issue with the pork. If you are only a month out, an ounce of cheese and 3 pieces of lunch meat would be kind of a lot to have at one time, I would think.

Yes. Dense Protein.< /p>

I had the same one that you had but 15yrs ago. I tried it once I was able to eat solid foods, and it didn't agree with me. Then I went to try it again a month or two latter, and it still didn't agree with me. Thats why I don't eat it. I get my Proteins from chicken, turkey, and fish.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

I had the Gastric bypass RNY done 15yrs ago. When I went to try it once I was able to get on solid foods it didn't agree with me. Then I went to try it again a month or two latter, and it still didn't agree with me. Thats why I don't eat it. I get my Proteins from chicken, turkey, and fish. I personally don't like BBQ Sauce at all, its got a lot of sugar in it, and I'm not suppose to have any regular sugar at all due to the fact that it'll cause a dumping issue.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

At a year out from gastric bypass, still can't "stomach" beef or solid red meats...I can eat lamb, very soft, in stews, turkey burger, fish, but my bariatric surgeon relative says that beef requires enzymes to digest that will typically not return until 18 mos to a 2 years out....

After RNY surgery, the part of the stomach that processes fats and sugars was cut away from your stomach. But after about a year, the intestines realize that something is amiss and evolve to be able to process fats and sugars again. Since you are 15 years post-op, your body can probably handle fats and sugars without dumping at this point.

I am not saying you should begin using processed sugar again, only that the effect will be different now.

You might try beef and pork again. Since you are many years out, your tolerance may have changed. It also depends on how the meat is cooked.

But if chicken, turkey and fish can keep you satisfied, then maybe you should just stick with these.

My thought was overeating as well. I guess I fell back to poor habits. I won't make that mistake again. I felt terrible!

@@Renkoss - its amazing how that one.....teeny....tiny...bite can make you feel like you have swallowed a rock.