Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is the Craziest Thing You’ve Ordered at a Restaurant?

We all know restaurant meals can be challenging for WLS patients. There’s the sheer size of the portions you get, the trouble identifying healthy options, and – especially for sleeve and bypass patients – the potential for dumping syndrome.

It’s harder to get a healthy, small meal at some restaurants than others, but you can often end up with one if you order right. It’s just that “ordering right” might involve a lot of creativity on your part, and some lengthy discussion with the server!

I don’t have any particularly crazy stories to tell. I just know that during many of my restaurant trips, I take a long time to order! I am used to ordering something from the menu and seeing the server write it down and turn away. But I’m not done ordering yet! I then ask my server for a long list of modifications…sauce on the side, no dressing, veggies instead of rice, etc. Sometimes it feels like it takes forever and the server seems stunned that one person could be so fussy. But they’re almost always extremely good natured about it!

What is the craziest thing you’ve done at a restaurant? Maybe you’ve lied so you can order off the kids’ menu? Have you ordered nothing and just taken a bite from your friend’s or spouse’s plate? Share your restaurant stories here!

When I go to a restaurant now, I look at the menu meals from the aspect of being more than one meal and how well it will heat up at home. I never order any appetizers or salad and usually ask not to bring any bread. I don't bother with asking for any special considerations or adjustments to the meal size anymore......it's just too much trouble.

Much easier to simply ask for take-home containers and bag it all up. I usually get about two to three meals out of a menu order.

When you think about it.....not a bad deal. ;)

One scrambled egg. $1.20. [emoji23]

I never take left overs home. These days I will order whatever suits my fancy--Protein of the day. Then I will order to have only a third to be delivered to me. The other two thirds (sometimes 1/2) I will donate to the homeless shelters.

Many restaurants in NYC are donating all uneaten food to the homeless. I think it's a wonderful program.

I will admit once sending an entire beef wellington back because the beef was too well done. Normally I would have just eaten it, but I thought some homeless person would be thrilled to be able to enjoy a beef wellington. Shame of me, I guess, but I still smile thinking about the smile that must have been on the poor soul's face that evening. I'm just bad, I guess.

Drive thrus are fun, especially when I am ordering something really simple, like ice Water.

Ordering a sandwich without the bread is usually really fun.

I order a sandwich, no bun.

Their response: do I want a meal or just a sandwich?

I respond: I want just the sandwich but with no bun.

I always have to double-check and have them read back my order.

Drive thrus are fun, especially when I am ordering something really simple, like ice Water.

Ordering a sandwich without the bread is usually really fun.

I order a sandwich, no bun.

Their response: do I want a meal or just a sandwich?

I respond: I want just the sandwich but with no bun.

I always have to double-check and have them read back my order.

--like ordering wonton Soup with no wontons? That usually leads to a great deal of foreign language exchange. ;)

I've done the "Big Mac - No lettuce, no bun, extra Special Sauce" thing once...

Still couldn't eat it all...

I didn't think it was that crazy when I said it but the waiter gave me the weirdest look....I ordered chicken tortilla Soup without tortillas

I have been to two Chinese restaurants and they seem to both think I am nuts for "no rice".

Still got the rice once and the other time I was charged extra for broccoli even though I was told by waitress I could substitute.

I haven't tried the "no bun" on a BigMac (etc).

Like ISG I also think its funny the difficulty in ordering, for a drink, Water :blink:

I have been to two Chinese restaurants and they seem to both think I am nuts for "no rice".

Still got the rice once and the other time I was charged extra for broccoli even though I was told by waitress I could substitute.

I haven't tried the "no bun" on a BigMac (etc).

Like ISG I also think its funny the difficulty in ordering, for a drink, Water :blink:

We have a local Chinese restaurant that delivers. The couple who own it are super nice. I used to be a very good customer pre-op. They have been super supportive and encouraging about my surgery (even though it has meant a drastic drop in business for them). They STILL think it is crazy that I tell them "no rice" the few times I have ordered from them since surgery.

My boyfriend will order an entrée and I'll order an app . Usually I'll get shrimp and eat 3 then he has the rest, then I'll eat some of his veggies. It's just easier this way, I don't have to pack up leftovers and it saves us money ..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nothing too crazy.... Bun less burger with no fries. This is a place the customizes burgers. Lettuce is a bun option but that causes more issues than bread for me. So the order didnt faze her. However only eating half the burger confused her a bit.

During my pre-op diet I went to a make your own stir fry place and when they asked me which starch I wanted (rice or noodles) I said none - they looked at me crazy. I also went to Arby's during my pre-op diet and ordered roast beef and cheese with no bun, and the kid couldn't figure out how to put it in the register. :-|

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Clear vegetable broth! Asked for a big bowl, it cost $8 bucks..... but, it was a cold day and it did the trick....