Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone !

Happy to Say Tuesday May 10th is the Big Day ! I will finally be Sleeved ! ????

I'm preparing to pack an overnight bag for my hospital stay. Can anyone please tell me what to bring and what not to bring ??

So far I'm packing :

Toothpaste & Toothbrush

ChapStick

Cellphone & Charger

Robe (to walk the floors)

Pajamas & slippers

Gas Strips

binder (compression garmet Doc recommended)

Pillow (was told it helps with the card ride home)

I appreciate your help ! See you on the loser's bench !

Thank you!

Hello everyone !

Happy to Say Tuesday May 10th is the Big Day ! I will finally be Sleeved !

I'm preparing to pack an overnight bag for my hospital stay. Can anyone please tell me what to bring and what not to bring ??

So far I'm packing :

Toothpaste & Toothbrush

ChapStick

Cellphone & Charger

Robe (to walk the floors)

Pajamas & slippers

Gas Strips

binder (compression garmet Doc recommended)

Pillow (was told it helps with the card ride home)

I appreciate your help ! See you on the loser's bench !

Thank you!

I saw where someone suggested an extra long phone charging cord.....I just ordered one that is 10ft from Amazon. haha

Edited by kmorri

My surgery is on Monday the 9th. I am packing the same stuff as you but am also packing a book to read pre-surgery to distract me in case I get the jitters, Crystal Light packets to add to my Water and Biotene mouthwash which is specifically for dry mouth. Best of luck to you! Looking forward to following your success.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would advise against the pajamas, robe, and slippers. Your pajamas and robe are not designed to deal with IV lines, drains, catheters, etc., any or all of which you may have and be dragging around the halls with you. Hospital gowns are. Just put on an extra one facing backwards (like a cape) when you go out walking, so you won't accidentally flash anyone. Also, if you get blood or drainage seepage from your wounds, or IV Fluid leaks, they'll mess up the hospital's clothing, not yours.

Hospitals provide socks with no-skid bottoms, which are safer than slippers on slippery hospital floors. Many hospitals won't even let you wear your own slippers.

The pillow -- as long as you trust the person coming to pick you up and take you home, just have them bring a pillow. No need to haul it around the hospital with you when you only need it for the ride home.

Gas strips -- they may be useful for the placebo effect but the truth is Gas-X has no impact whatsoever on surgical gas. That is a completely different kind of chemical than the gases they work on. Also, most hospitals won't let you use your own meds that you bring in from outside unless they are prescription, so if you do choose to bring them, hide them from the nurses.

One thing I would suggest if you have one, if you are more comfortable wearing a bra, is a cotton, no-wire bra, preferably a leisure-type bra that fastens in front. Many surgeons will leave you with an incision right at the bra line and trust me the last thing you want is an underwire pressing up against it.

Don't worry too much about what to bring -- hospitals are quite used to people being admitted with absolutely no advance warning (people in car accidents and who have heart attacks are rarely traveling with a neatly pre-packed hospital bag) and are perfectly capable of meeting their needs. Good luck!

You'll only need your PJ bottoms because of the TV also get a couple of pairs of men boxers which gives a little better coverage.

The hospital really should give you everything you need. They gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste, small bottle of mouthwash, and soap.

I would bring a book or laptop or something to entertain yourself. And definitely your cell phone and a long cord. Slippers for walking would probably be a good idea but they will give you those warm socks at the hospital.

for the ride home a pillow helps. Also some very loose clothing and soft pants.

I took noise canceling earbuds and a phone full of music. Best thing I packed--it allowed me to sleep despite all the hospital noise and people going in and out of the room.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Congrats on your surgery!

How long are you having to stay in the hospital for?

I had mine on Monday. I packed pajamas, iPad , chargers, Phone. Change of underwear. Chapstick. Book. Earbuds. Tooth brush n tooth paste. hair comb. I only used my Chapstick earbuds charger and phone. I was either sleeping or walking. And sipping. Wore my flip flops to walk but would have just worn the socks they gave us. I had no desire to change into my pjs. So don't over pack. My surgeon gave us a pillow to use when we walked and for the drive. I did bring my favorite bed pillow which was the best thing I had there.

I hold a minority position in that I really like the Green Tea Isopure. Not asking you to like it, but it was great to get those 40g of Protein in after I was cleared for liquids. Try it out, if you like it, it will keep the energy up while you are healing.

I work at a hospital- I will be taking my own pillow- the ones there suck! Also, my own toiletries- they do have those there, but often they are the cheapest things available and the last time I checked, the toothpaste was terrible!

Also, if you wear glasses or contacts, be sure to bring cases, solution, etc.

I also will take some men's boxers, but I will just wear the hospital gown. Have not decided about the slippers yet.

Of course the phone, etc. And my kindle, for before.

Oh, and if someone is staying with you, make sure they have change for the vending machines.

Chapstick and biotene spray.

Loose clothing for the trip home

And make a list of what you take, so you don't forget it when you go home. We have tons of chargers in drawers from pts leaving them!

An extension cord so you can charge all your gadgets and a soft sleep bra!

A bra??? In the hospital? No way! If I can get away with not wearing one, you better believe the girls are gonna be free! Heck, I don't even think I'm taking my dentures with me, won't need em anyway :)

My surgery is the 16th and I'm already half packed :)

An extension cord so you can charge all your gadgets and a soft sleep bra!

A bra??? In the hospital? No way! If I can get away with not wearing one, you better believe the girls are gonna be free! Heck, I don't even think I'm taking my dentures with me, won't need em anyway :)

My surgery is the 16th and I'm already half packed :)

My girls are so low at this point, I figured they'd be hanging out of my johnnie if I didn't wear something and I would give the other patients heart attacks. A sleep bra was as much a protector of my modesty as it was a protector of everyone else's need to be shielded from the tragedy of really long boobage.

Super comfortable physically and emotionally. For me, anyways.

And men's boxers. Yes. Perfect answer for no bare ass showings as I walked the halls.