Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely! Plus some. Your WLS is only a tool, YOU have to use it correctly.

I used to able to eat most of a pizza in a sitting. Even though my restriction is amazing, I can still eat that much over the course of the day, plus chips, Cookies, chocolate. Might not be able to do the damage as fast, but I can totally do it.

Hells yes you can fail.

If you wanna cram it down your gullet..........nothing will stop that.

You gotta fix yer head for any weight loss effort to work......and be sustained.

I can say for me though, it would be very difficult. The restriction is very real, and my body really objects to certain foods such as anything fried, breads, pastas, and other empty calories. I recently went to an all inclusive in Mexico, and yes over ate for a couple of days including desserts! But after 2-3 days, I went the opposite direction and ate less than normal. I believe that my body has been reset to a lower set point for weight.

Of course everyone is different, and if I really tried, I am sure I could gain back some weight, but for me it would be a lot of work and very uncomfortable.

I totally agree with everyones posts - totally possible.

sleeve is only a tool :D

Any one who has gone through this knows that it is not the sleeve that takes the weight off- it is you! It does assist in "reminding" me what the proper portion sizes are-- but it does not have say over what are in those portions! If I do what I am supposed to do, I get my Protein in first and veggies. Pretty much never eat bread, Pasta, rice etc because I am already full. But... if I don't care, I could easily start with a "comfort" food and fill up on that...which would end up making me feel hungry again real soon. And doing it all over again.

I've had to reset my mind too. I evaluate if a food is "worth" eating. Will it nourish my body? I buy better quality food because I don't need a lot and FINALLY realize that I am worth it.

The months leading up to the surgery are probably the most critical portion of this entire process. Changing my mindset on food and already working the plan made the surgery almost seem like a nonevent. I'm eating exactly the same way I was when on the preop diet. I am ever mindful that this is not a quick fix or magic procedure. I don't know how my body reacts to pasta...or rice...or cake... because there are so many better things to put in my body. (and this coming from a woman who could eat a half gallon of ice cream in a single sitting...who would have thought...)

I absolutely agree with everyone's posts as well! The sleeve restriction is a tool to remind us of portion size. Unfortunately it does not restrict our "head hunger". I do believe that with grazing on poor choices of food throughout the day, it is very possible to re-gain the weight lost.

The surgeon is not going to send a kitchen monitor home with you to make sure you stay on plan. He will not be stocking your cupboards with factory edibles (I can't call Twinkies, Kraft Mac and cheese, and hot dogs "food". He will not be taking a chicken breast and breading it and frying it in lard. He will not be taking a pizza and nibbling on it all day until it it all gone.

My sleeve alerts me of when it has had enough, and if I push it beyond that, I am miserable for hours. Nibbling and noshing even healthy recommended foods is a trap. Since you can only eat small amounts at a time, it is so easy to just do that every 45 minutes or so. Then your 1,000 calories has turned into 4,000 calories and the weight comes back.......and you can't blame your sleeve. Un-supportive family and friends is not helpful.

Bariatric surgery is not a "one and done" situation. The reason that most of our pre-op programs last three to six months is so we can accustom ourselves to a new way of eating so that we can thrive rather than just exist.

Most of our programs require psychological evaluation pre-op and offer follow-up assistance post-op. You can always come to the forum for moral support. This is a community of folks who understand what you are going through.

of course you can fail. Many people do. Cheating once in a while is not failure. But constantly cheating will lead you to failure and weight gain.

Weight loss surgery is not a magic wand, it's not an easy thing to live with. It requires dedication and commitment. You have to eat right, be healthy, and exercise. Sure once in a while you can be a little naughty. But you have to make a LIFETIME commitment to be healthy, or you absolutely will regain weight

Thanks guys just wondered? It's been a great Responce. I lost a lot of weight before due to an illness but when I could eat again it all went back on again. What I ate changed just not the amount. So once surgery is done that should be sorted X

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can say for me though, it would be very difficult. The restriction is very real, and my body really objects to certain foods such as anything fried, breads, pastas, and other empty calories. I recently went to an all inclusive in Mexico, and yes over ate for a couple of days including desserts! But after 2-3 days, I went the opposite direction and ate less than normal. I believe that my body has been reset to a lower set point for weight.

Of course everyone is different, and if I really tried, I am sure I could gain back some weight, but for me it would be a lot of work and very uncomfortable.

Your restriction will not be as tight as a drum forever you know.

Not being discouraging, just realistic. But you do you, and if you think it will be hard for you to fail, then go you!! I certainly envy you!

Actually, i can say after a year, my restriction has gotten tighter or that my brain has readjusted...or a combination of the two....6 months ago i think i could eat more and wanted to do so...today, my appetite and my capacity have seemed to wane...not claiming this is typical....only my experience on this journey

I know it's a long term brain change I need. Just wondered how others got on. When I lost the weight before it's because I was not allowed to eat for 6 weeks. I have spent 7 years trying to get this op, so I'm not expecting it to do all the work for me. Just wondered if others put a lot back on, from not cheating. We all know that you can cheat it one way or another. We all know that we can drink a fat laiden diet to put it back on. Wanted to see others jurneys where like.

You can DEFINITELY fail, trust me. *cries*

It starts with one piece of chocolate and escalates into containers of ice cream, bags of chocolate... I was 168 lbs in February and after a few months I am now back up to 173 pounds. I didn't think it would possible to gain 5 pounds in such a short period of time with the sleeve but that is with constant snacking all day long, and horrible food choices.

Just an FYI I am starting a detox diet on Monday, going back to basics with all liquid Protein shakes for a few days to zap myself out of this food binge I've been in. We can only fail if we let ourselves...