Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I'm pre-op...actually waiting for the word of approval from Aetna any day now. I admit that the sleeve was my first choice. However, when I heard about the chances that the acid reflux could worsen I quickly went with the bypass. I'm reluctant because I've known 2 people that have died after weight loss surgery. So, naturally my brain is racing. Yet, at the same time, the reality is that my current health isn't great and if I keep on the same path it's definitely not good. My surgery is more for the medical issues (Diabetic, BP, high cholesterol, etc), then weight loss. I'm at the moderate level according to my surgeon. I just want to move forward with a healthier life!

What are some words of wisdom, experiences,positives and negatives that some of you have experienced? Is there anything that you would have done differently?

How was your support system? I've only told a select few. I'm excited about this opportunity, but I don't want the naysayers to bring me down. People already can tell that I've lost a few pounds (in preparation for the surgery)...and they are already saying things like "don't lose too much weight...you don't wanna look sick". Well, I'm like...I AM SICK!!! Smh It's so frustrating. I mean, I have my good and bad days with health. It could be worse...but it could also be much better.

Thoughts? Comments?

This article describes my experience with RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am 3 years post-op. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I basically told everyone about my surgery, even strangers on the street. In general their reaction fell into two categories. They were either curious or supportive. I think the reason why many do not tell others is because of their past battles with dieting. They tell others about their diet and receive praise. They lose weight and receive praise. They eventually stop dieting, gain the weight back and fell GUILT.

I found RNY surgery to be different. After surgery I completely lost my appetite. I did not find it difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly, continually gnawing at my bones.

Is there anything I would do differently? No, I am happy with my decision.

I'm only 3 weeks post op at this point, but I can tell you I wish I would have listened to my doctors years ago and had this done. I also am diabetic, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, high triglycerides, beginning of diabetic retinopathy and beginning of kidney disease. My diabetes is under excellent control right now, I'm losing weight which should help with the cholesterol, trigs, apnea and help avoid further damage to the kidneys and eyes. I always thought it was so extreme to have weight loss surgery. Now that I've done it, I shake my head in disbelief. It was not bad at all! I'm down almost 30 pounds since pre-op diet, and my eating and hunger are very controlled.

If I could go back about 5 years, I'd do this again in a heartbeat knowing what I know now.

I'm only 3 weeks post op at this point, but I can tell you I wish I would have listened to my doctors years ago and had this done. I also am diabetic, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, high triglycerides, beginning of diabetic retinopathy and beginning of kidney disease. My diabetes is under excellent control right now, I'm losing weight which should help with the cholesterol, trigs, apnea and help avoid further damage to the kidneys and eyes. I always thought it was so extreme to have weight loss surgery. Now that I've done it, I shake my head in disbelief. It was not bad at all! I'm down almost 30 pounds since pre-op diet, and my eating and hunger are very controlled.

If I could go back about 5 years, I'd do this again in a heartbeat knowing what I know now.

Congrats to you! I can completely identify. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Dawnie_doo

This article describes my experience with RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am 3 years post-op. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I basically told everyone about my surgery, even strangers on the street. In general their reaction fell into two categories. They were either curious or supportive. I think the reason why many do not tell others is because of their past battles with dieting. They tell others about their diet and receive praise. They lose weight and receive praise. They eventually stop dieting, gain the weight back and fell GUILT.

I found RNY surgery to be different. After surgery I completely lost my appetite. I did not find it difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly, continually gnawing at my bones.

Is there anything I would do differently? No, I am happy with my decision.

Thanks for your encouragement! I look forward to reading your article.

Dawnie_doo