Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would have just replied that it's all about moderation. If you were eating a massive burger with a huge side of fries while talking about dieting and wanting to lose more weight in between your bites, then I could understand someone making a comment about your choices. Having a little slider when you've already lost 90 pounds and are clearly doing something right is not worthy of comment at all.

Only my husband, parents, and doctors know I've had the VSG, and they rarely ever question what I eat. When they do it's more out of consideration than questioning my choices. The only comments I've received regarding eating have been from friends and coworkers who are surprised I haven't had more, or wondering if I don't like what I've ordered. I usually will have leftovers boxed, and just make a comment about being too full to finish at the time but looking forward to having the rest later. Since about the three month mark I haven't forbidden myself from eating anything in particular; I've just been much more mindful and reasonable than in the past.

Okay, I have a new answer that will kill two birds with one stone...

"My doctor is concerned that I'm showing anorexic tendencies. She asked me to force myself to eat more..."

If it doesn't work, at least it will make everyone laugh and signal I don't like the question!

Okay, I have a new answer that will kill two birds with one stone...

"My doctor is concerned that I'm showing anorexic tendencies. She asked me to force myself to eat more..."

If it doesn't work, at least it will make everyone laugh and signal I don't like the question!

EEEK! Making light of a serious mental/physical condition might be more offensive than telling someone to bite it. Just my two cents. :)

I work in a hospital. Even non bariatric nurses have no clue in regards to all the information and education we go through. On post op day 8 I attended a Novena (for a coworker and friend that passed away the day before my procedure) and brought crab rangoon I made for my coworkers. Being in the full liquid stage, I served myself half a cup of decaffeinated Starbucks coffee, the only item on the dining table I could have. When I answered questions about my diet, one of them blurted out, "So you just drank Water for 2 weeks?" I wanted to bang my head on the table.

bmi.png?ts=1462327411

Edited by jea(n__n)ette

Reading this makes me wonder why so many keep it a secret. I just had my sleeve done April 20. I am blasting all of it on fb. I made this decision with a heavy heart but I knew I had to do it. We should all stand proud of what we've done because there is no shame in saving your own life. Love to all of you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

Reading this makes me wonder why so many keep it a secret. I just had my sleeve done April 20. I am blasting all of it on fb. I made this decision with a heavy heart but I knew I had to do it. We should all stand proud of what we've done because there is no shame in saving your own life. Love to all of you!

I keep it to myself because my medical history is my business. It has nothing to do with shame.

So, I'm living incognito regarding my WLS (long story, see other posts).

Anyway, I'm back at my summer home, 90 lbs lighter than when I left and dealing with answering a million questions without actually telling the truth (my latest response to the question about how I lost some much weight is "I went to a doctor and did exactly what they told me to do").

I was an event Friday night with passed heavy appetizers (my fav) and the first thing to come by was a mini burger/slider. I grabbed one (planning on having it for my entire dinner) and a skinny friend shrieks out "that's on your diet?" And then gave me a shocked look.

I guess it will pass, but kind of crummy and definitely ruined my meal (I took one bite and threw it away).

I suppose people expect me to eat grapes and carrot sticks!

Oh well...

Girl... I would have told them "this mini burger is perfect side for my tummy... it's prob too much"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

So, I'm living incognito regarding my WLS (long story, see other posts).

Anyway, I'm back at my summer home, 90 lbs lighter than when I left and dealing with answering a million questions without actually telling the truth (my latest response to the question about how I lost some much weight is "I went to a doctor and did exactly what they told me to do").

I was an event Friday night with passed heavy appetizers (my fav) and the first thing to come by was a mini burger/slider. I grabbed one (planning on having it for my entire dinner) and a skinny friend shrieks out "that's on your diet?" And then gave me a shocked look.

I guess it will pass, but kind of crummy and definitely ruined my meal (I took one bite and threw it away).

I suppose people expect me to eat grapes and carrot sticks!

Oh well...

Girl... I would have told them "this mini burger is perfect side for my tummy... it's prob too much"

Size. ..

its not always about shame... but the fact that its just not anyones business. i dont want to talk about it all the time.

u dont want anyone to lessen the hard work that i have done using my tool with, "yeah she lost xx pounds, but she had lapband... so she didnt really have to do anything"

we have all gone a very long time being judged for our weight, being judged for how we lose it is just not necessary

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

If you look at my other posts, you'll see why I'm incognito. I have no shame in my WLS, my shame is in lying to 100+ close friends before I really thought it through.

It's worth noting that I was kind of a low BMI (38) and most of my friends had no idea I was near 280. When people ask me what I lost and I just say "a lot", most come back with 30-50 lbs, which is no where WLS country for most men my height. As of this morning, I'm down 97.

All that said, I had it to do over, I would have told my 40-50 closest friends, now it's really too complicated, and like I said, I'm almost through it.

BTW - My latest line to the question about my weight loss is "after 55, all the fad diets stopped working, so I just did exactly what my doctor told me to do for 6 months".

Since my PCP suggested WLS, this is very much true...

Thank you for your response. I really was curious. So many people don't tell. Congratulations on your success. Sorry I hadn't read your complete story. I'm still trying to find my way around this app. I don't find it very user friendly.

I am not announcing on Facebook but am telling people individually as I spend time with them in person. I mainly decided to be open about it because I have some fitness obsessed friends who have never had a weight problem who are always trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong that's making me unable to lose weight and implying that I must not be trying hard enough. I want to be a success story that will make them reconsider their prejudices regarding obese people in general and wls specifically. This guy friend of mine seems so sure I'm going to gain back the weight. I plan on using him as motivation during maintenance :P

I'd say to them, "Why, yes it is...See how well it's working for me, I'm fricking fabulous?" Mentally, I'd be telling them to F*** off.

Everyone gives different answers to this - I think it boils down to not wanting to deal with the ignorance of others because there are some people out there (ohkay quite a lot of people) that no matter what you say or how you explain it - will judge, look down on you, say you took the easy way, ect... And most just don't want to deal with the bs of it all - I give props to those that have the patiance to deal with those types of people - I do and I don't - my friends/family, I deal with their judgements - strangers, yeah I'm not up to doing that with people I really don't give two craps about.