Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of exercises can a 300 pounder do?

The doctor says I can start exercising next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I would love to have a personal trainer but I can't afford one. I don't want to just walk on a treadmill. I want to be able to do things like walk up two flights of stairs without getting so winded. I want to walk faster, I want to work on my arms, I can't hold my arms up for more than a few seconds without them getting painfully tired. I want to push myself but not in a dangerous way. What are the different kind of exercises I can start out with?

I'm over 400 pounds and ride my exercise bike 60 minutes a day. I would get winded walking about stairs. After a few weeks on the bike, I can jog up my stairs at 400 pounds. I also started doing some simple weight exercises 3 times a week. Just do a rep of bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, and squats. It's really not for building muscle but for working on my metabolism. Doing the bike and getting in good cardio health helps do other exercises.

Edit- I should also add I have not had surgery yet.

Edited by sgc

Do you have access to a gym? If so, you should be able to do most of the weight machines and the recumbent exercise bike. Cardio will help you build cardiovascular endurance, which will make climbing stairs easier. But strength training is great for making sure you don't lose muscle as you lose weight, plus it boosts your metabolism. So make sure you come up with a plan that includes both cardio and strength training.

First its awesome that you asked this question. Seriously take a bow that you are really doing this.

Personally my best exercises ( bad knees etc) revolved for the first year solely on the exercise bike. Cardio cardio cardio was my motto and it worked very well. now i walk on the treadmill and run a little then hit the bike for the longer burn. eventually ill work back into circuit training as wel but for me cardio was the fastest fat burner out there. it also helped me see actual goals of time and distance. which really helped. Keep up the great work! You can do this!

I'm over 400 pounds and ride my exercise bike 60 minutes a day. I would get winded walking about stairs. After a few weeks on the bike, I can jog up my stairs at 400 pounds. I also started doing some simple weight exercises 3 times a week. Just do a rep of bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, and squats. It's really not for building muscle but for working on my metabolism. Doing the bike and getting in good cardio health helps do other exercises.

Edit- I should also add I have not had surgery yet.

Well done man, well done indeed! looking forward to your progress.

I focused my efforts on walking, walking, walking initially. Like you I could not get up a simple flight of stairs without feeling like my lungs would literally explode.

I purchased a treadmill and a recumbent elliptical bike. I started slow and ramped up to more time and more resistance every day. I got to the point where I was actually able to run. Pushing myself a little everyday.

Take it slowly and if you feel pain back off a little and then try again.

In June I ended up having some surgery on my cervical spine. That was the end of my cardio workouts. In November I had more back surgery and in February I had a shoulder surgery.

During this time I had to focus 100% of my plan on diet. I did get to goal but I lost so much muscle mass that it is scary and I am in pain every day.

I am working with physical therapist now to build my strength back. I cannot wait to get back on my elliptical and treadmill and get my groove back.

Best of luck to you! You can do this!

I was over 350 lbs when I started using DVD's to exercise at home. Leslie Sansone does great dvd's that are extremely low impact and easy to follow -- especially for a uncoordinated klutz who can't dance a step like me! She has a great variety and some of them do involve using hand weights and stretchy bands for resistance/strength training. They were a really good starting point for me.

bicycling is a great form of exercise and so is swimming.

just a thought.....less impact on the body for now.

I started out at almost 600 pounds and currently in the 300s. I highly recommend swimming, Water aerobics, water weights, etc. It is easy on your joints and I can do so much more in the water than I can still do on dry land.

Water walking is seriously one of the best things I did when I was recovering from knee surgery. Not quite at 300 lbs at that time, but still pretty heavy. I still can't walk far or even think about running, but the recumbent bike is also pretty good.

To answer your banner question, just about anything she chooses that she can then build on. Many exercises that may be beyond one's capability at first become second nature with time, increased fitness and flexibility, and weight loss.

@@JamieLogical said it. Cardio and strength-training are both important and beneficial. Cardio should be done first, then strength. In addition to preventing muscle loss and toning them, and is helps keep bones strong. Breathing properly while exercising is important. So is keeping hydrated to avoid, for one thing, lightheadedness.

If you join a gym, you can have a couple of sessions with a trainer and then work with the trainer as you go along and need more challenge in your workouts.

There are countless online sources of workouts and info on line. A couple of good ones are sparkpeople.com and livestrong.com.

I'm with the bike/swim for cardio and light weights (to start with) for strength folk..

Even if you can't get the PT, any gym you go to SHOULD provide you with all the support and information you require...

Try a few gyms before you commit to one...

And don't be afraid to ask if there's any PT who wants to take on a 'project'...

You may find they'll offer a reduced rate (or better) for the opportunity to put you and your success on their resume...

I was 429lbs when I started. I would start by just walking across the house and pushing a rolling chair for when my legs were too tired to hold me anymore. Then I built up to doing laps around the kitchen island and then to walking the end of the block and eventually around the block and then around the subdivision. Then I added resistance bands and a fitball and started doing basic floor exercises like leg lifts and such. THEN I got an elliptical when I hit my 100lb milestone and currently I'm running 65 min programs each day and doing core building exercises or resistance training every day and when the weather is nice I can easily walk 3-4miles without huffing and puffing like a dying fish. Just find where you are starting from and challenge yourself to do a little more next time. When I first got my elliptical, I could maybe do 3 mins at a time and each time I would strive for 1 min more then 1 more and 1 level more intensity and incline til I built up to where I am. Same with walking or doing leg lifts. Start with like 5 and challenge yourself to do a few more each time and see how far you can go.

The doctor says I can start exercising next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I would love to have a personal trainer but I can't afford one. I don't want to just walk on a treadmill. I want to be able to do things like walk up two flights of stairs without getting so winded. I want to walk faster, I want to work on my arms, I can't hold my arms up for more than a few seconds without them getting painfully tired. I want to push myself but not in a dangerous way. What are the different kind of exercises I can start out with?

As long as your incisions are healed you can jump in the pool! Water buoyancy makes you feel like you weigh less, so it's less effort on your body to jump up and move. If you know how to swim, your pace can be strenuous or as relaxed as you want it to be. If you don't swim, "walking" in the water will give you some resistance. And with summer approaching, it's a nice way to cool off

bmi.png?ts=1462312333