Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm stuck in the middle of self pay in the US and self pay in Mexico. I have done research on both options and I can't decide. I am scared to go out of the country and never see the same doctor again but the price difference is huge .

Surgery here would be 16,500. Please help. What is your input or opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If I had to pay out of pocket, I would go to Mexico no question. Just make sure you pick the right doctor.

You don't really see your surgeon after surgery in the US either with most surgeons. You see their PA. So don't let that be your deciding factor. Once the surgery is over, the Surgeon is basically done with you.

So I could basically go to my regular doctor for my check up? What should I watch out for when picking doctors? I've read so much information I don't know how I would even choose .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mexico is a fantastic option for self-pay. It's so much cheaper and you get your pick of world class surgeons. In the US, you are limited to whatever surgeons happen to serve your local area, unless you are considering traveling within the US for surgery. Depending on which surgeon you choose in Mexico, you can also receive fantastic follow-up care. I'm almost 20 months post-op, but I know that if I called or emailed OCC today with a question, I'd receive an answer within the hour. I have my PCP do my blood work to make sure I'm good with all my Vitamins and such. I have never once thought to myself "I wish I'd had my surgery here in the US".

@@garciagiss - I disagree to a point.

I don't know if a non bariatric specialized doctor would be able to address my WLS concerns. I have always seen my surgeon post-op, so others may say different.

If you can see a bariatric doctor in the US for f/u care then check out Mexico, check with your insurance provider.

I am sure people have moved post WLS and found other surgeons to do follow-ups with at their new place. Just sayin'

Jane

I went to Tijuana. My experience was great. I would do it again in a heart beat. No complications. The real pain from the surgery. Just felt like I was punched in the stomach. Taking the drain out two days later was the most painful experience.

I was faced with the same choice.

I decided to stay here and self fund at my local bariatric center of excellence. I don't regret it one bit. I don't get much out of the "lifelong" NUT support.....but it's nice to know it's only 5 miles away. The follow up visits with my surgeon have been very helpful, though.

@@Dub - do you see your actual surgeon or a PA most of the time? just curious -_-

maybe I am in a unique group who gets to see the surgeon

I never had any need for bariatric-specific treatment post-op. I had lots of questions, but those were all easily handled via phone, email, or Skype with my surgical team. The only physical follow-up I've needed is blood work and monitoring of my vitals, which my PCP has had no trouble handling. I had visits and blood work with my PCP at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, and now just as part of my annual physical.

@@Dub - do you see your actual surgeon or a PA most of the time? just curious -_-

maybe I am in a unique group who gets to see the surgeon

Every visit has been with my surgeon. He almost always has a cadre of new medical students along with him but he's always been who I've seen.

I've never had any follow up appointment with the center's nutritionists. I had an appointment, but she was unable to keep it due to her vacation. We were to have a phone appointment next....which she didn't keep. Basically the only face to face with her was on the initial pre-op group class I had with her. It's all good, though.....the surgeon has been very specific of my portion size the type of food to eat. There's not a hell of a lot I'd likely get from the nutritionist. lol. She does stay active on our center's private Facebook page for patients.

I have seen a WLS surgeon on each and every visit. --and that includes a move across state. I would never go outside the USA given the choice. Why?

Follow up care isn't important? --only if nothing goes wrong. Incidents of DVT from sitting on long flights, ER visits for dehydration instead of seeing your own bariatric team, any question for any concern-ever try to file a "complaint" or a malpractice suit across international borders? Good luck. The success rate for satisfaction for a wrongful deed is less than 3% when trying to file a case in Mexico.

-I want that surgeon/patient relationship that can never be duplicated by "internet medicine".

Is going to Mexico cheaper for self payers? probably. Are you not worth the extra money to be able to have the personal care here in the "good ol' US of A"?

On this date; MY opinion.

@@Valentina I have read dozens of posts from people who had surgery in the US and ended up in the ER with dehydration post-op. You aren't going to receive care from your bariatric surgeon for dehydration whether you have surgery in the US or Mexico or anywhere. You are going to receive treatment from the ER or Urgent Care staff in that case. I am sure it would be similar (though I haven't read personal accounts) if you ended up in the ER for DVT. Those are the kinds of things you would need to go to the ER for immediate attention, not wait until the next time you can get an appointment with your surgeon. The only cases I can really foresee where your bariatric surgeon would need to physically be in contact with you is for a leak or stricture. Leaks more than a day or two post-op are EXTREMELY rare. So if you were to have one, you would still be in Mexico. My surgeon performed two leak tests... one during surgery and a barium swallow test two days post-op. Stricture, on the other hand, there is a valid case to be made that wouldn't be detected until after you were home and you would likely have to find a doctor/surgeon locally who could help treat it.

Are there risks associated with surgery in Mexico? Of course. There are risks associated with ALL surgeries. Are those risks significantly higher than having surgery in the US, I don't think they are. It's up to each individual to assess those risks and figure out what their risk tolerance is. I don't think the decision to have surgery in Mexico is a reflection on ones value for oneself. Trust and believe that I value myself VERY highly. Self esteem and self love have never been among my issues. Well, if anything, maybe in the opposite direction where I maybe put TOO MUCH value on myself and not enough on others. I am a very logical, rational, and analytical person. I do my due diligence and am confident in every decision I make. I did not take the decision to have surgery lightly. I did not take the decision to have surgery in Mexico lightly. I did probably hundreds of hours of total research ahead of time.

If a bariatric patient--at least where I live has to go to their local ER for a bariatric issue, their bariatric surgeon is called and is seen by that surgeon within 24hrs. Kinda hard to do via Mexico.

Are complications rare? sure. But when they do happen, it is better to be here in the USA then across boarders.

I want and deserve to have the earned trust, hands on, and individual attention/support of my bariatric surgeon who I can communicate with face to face. I deserve to be treated as an individual and not a "business number"--flown in and out--similar to conveyer belt.

One can and should do all of the research possible, but all of that information does not and never will replace the sage advice accompanied by a hand grasped in re assurance and compassion. That kind of support one can never get over the internet.

The poster asked for opinion and that's what they got. MY opinion.