Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So terrified of long term

So i am 22 years old almost 23 and had the gastric sleeve done on april 5. I have had the hardest time with this surgery battling severe anxiety and depression. Im 3 weeks out and feel i made a terrible mistake. Is anyone around my age afraid of the long term consequences of this surgery? I think about it everyday and my anxiety gets so horrible. I see a pysch but i think I really need a friend my age who has been through this. I would appreciate it so much

Sent from my LGLS665 using the BariatricPal App

Hi Kitty!

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I hear that it is common for people to be on an emotional rollercoaster after surgery. Losing weight releases hormones and can make you emotional.

I've battled with anxiety my whole life. I've been on Zoloft for a few years and that helps a lot. The doctors let me stay on it and even take Ativan when needed (haven't needed it) during this surgery process.

Sometimes I have thoughts about my long term future and get worried (will I ever be able to eat normal again, will I ever be able to have a drink socially again, OMG what's gonna happen to my skin? Am I going to look worse with all that skin?). Anyways...when I have those thoughts, I just redirect myself to the present. So far everything has gone great. Is this surgery/situation ideal? No! Of course I envy skinny people who never "ruined" their bodies in the first place and don't have to go through this. But you know what, we did, for whatever reason. But we have chosen better for our futures and took a huge courageous step. I'm very proud of myself for making this commitment and having the courage to do this. Just take it one step at a time and enjoy those numbers going down on that scale!!

Feel free to contact me anytime. I'm in the same boat and I'm a therapist, so I'm a good listener.

Keep your chin up!!

Thank you so much. Im trying to think positive but its so hard when my anxiety takes control. Being that ur a therapist makes it even more amazing lol

Are you taking anything for the anxiety?

It's not anything you would need to be on forever...but this is a major life event and it can help w/ the transition. Just my opinion. Glad you see a psych though. I'm all about accepting as much help as possible!!

Edited by SEVENTYSIXGIRL

Long term consequences ????

I freaking had this surgery just for the long term consequences !!!!!

Don't you go scaring me.

Seriously, the long term BENEFITS are going to be awesome. You will not grow up to be an old person, like I did, with weight issues.

You've taken steps to prevent this.

Please.......take a deep breath.....think about this......you have taken the RIGHT steps to avoid being an old and broken down person. Your joints will thank you later. Damn....if only you could see my limping stride and you'd understand what I'm saying.

Depression.......anxiety.....those are separate beasts to battle.

Obesity......darling, you have just kicked that to the curb.

Stay the course and focus on the other issues on their individual field of battles.

You will have equal great success with them.

Love that response Dub!!! Just recently read your 6 month out post. You look amazing and are a great inspiration! Thanks for the support!

My first order of business once I've lost a little weight...rollercoasters!!! I've been avoiding them for years out of fear I won't fit! Can't wait to live life to the fullest again!!!

G'day @@KittyCathy22

I'd not usually reply to a post like yours because you're really in need of stuff that I'm not much good at..

But there's something that I'd really like to say to you...

I know you're a little messed up at the moment and that's ok..

You've got your sh*t to sort out and I'm pretty sure you'll get there...

The reason I'm sure you'll get there is because you have what many of us here do not have...

Youth...

Now, I'm not calling you a kid...

But you're a young woman..

And as far as I'm concerned, you're a smart young woman...

Not only that but you're a courageous young woman...

At the YOUTHFUL age of 22 (nearly23) you've had the balls to step up and take control of your life...

You've done that now, before you get to the point that some of us old relics got to..

You know the stuff...

Creaking bones...

Aching joints...

Flabby bits..

Honestly, that some madd decision making skillz... (I'm all over the cool talkin' stuff, yo)

Now, I'm not p*ssing in your pocket and saying stuff because I think it'll make you feel better...

I don't do that... (And some here will attest to that..)

But give yourself some credit here...

You've changed your life...

You have...

And for that, I simply want to congratulate you...

Take care..

Stay courageous...

It is incredibly common for people to experience "buyer's remorse" in the early days and weeks post-op. You are uncomfortable, you are tired all the time, you have hormones raging through your bloodstream, you are struggling with Water and Protein like it's a full time job, you are wondering if you will ever feel "normal" again. I promise you that it gets SO MUCH better. You WILL feel normal again. You will get things figured out. It will get easier to get your water and protein in. You will have more energy and be able to do more things. You just need to have a little patients to get through these rough days.

Thanks everyone.it is getting easier to eat and drink and my nurse practitioner eased my anxiety alot.he sat down and talked to me and he also had the same surgery so he understands. I know im being to poor me right now and i know i need to be stronger. I guess ive never had to do something this hard which does make sound spoiled and selfish i know. ????

Glad you're feeling a little better! It is also probably the hardest, most drastic thing I've ever done too, but so far worth it!! Have you been enjoying losing weight at least? I love watching the scale numbers drop!!!

You don't sound spoiled or selfish!! This is a great forum to just be ourselves and tell the truth!!!

Ive lost 25 pounds so far which feels really good. Never been able to keep off that amount of weight in any other diet. Im now taking lexapro which seems to really help me feel alot better. I still have my moments where i feel extremely low but they are way less. I just take it one day at a time

Ive lost 25 pounds so far which feels really good. Never been able to keep off that amount of weight in any other diet. Im now taking lexapro which seems to really help me feel alot better. I still have my moments where i feel extremely low but they are way less. I just take it one day at a time

Hi KittyCathy22

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you're feeling better! 25 pounds is awesome!!! Great job. Also, I'm glad you're taking an SSRI. It will help with this transition. Everyone says that it's common to be emotional after the surgery. I haven't been, I credit (in part) the Zoloft.

Today I went to my first restaurant since surgery. It went better than I expected. I felt silly only ordering a side of refried Beans, but did it anyway. I could only eat 1/2 of them. Mixed in a little salsa which didn't hurt at all. I'm surprised because I'm only 11 days post-op. Anyway...Mexican restaurants (chips, salsa and margaritas) were my JAM before surgery. I'm proud of myself for sitting in front of a basket of chips and only having one of them (a tiny piece at a time chewed forever). It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Plus, my fiancé said, I'm now the cheapest date ever!!!

Anyways take care!!

Edited by SEVENTYSIXGIRL

I'm 23 and still pre op. It seems like every month as I get closer to the end of my supervised weight loss a new fear cripples me. One month it was loose skin, then possible blood clots, another was life long nutrient battles and just recently my coworkers finding out. Then I worried if I will totally regret getting surgery. I too battle severe depression & anxiety and I'm working on controlling them.

I am open to being a buddy and going through this journey together. I think because this is all new territory for us we let our anxiety get the best of us.

Edited by ava32

Ava would love you as a buddy especially someone who understands. My email is catherinebeck20@gmail.com