Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Bypass Surgery foods I can eat

Hi Everyone,

I had a question that has arisen after having KFC chicken for lunch. I wanted to know what foods I enjoy now I will still be able to enjoy after the surgery recovery is complete.

What I want to know is will I be able to still enjoy kfc in moderation, or what about Wendy's, burger king, Fatburger Etc. I realize I would have to eat in smaller amounts but can the occasional fast food treat still be enjoyed or is it spinach and tuna for the rest of eternity from here on in?

any help with this topic is greatly appreciated. I have already given up my beer and I am okay with that just wondering what else is not possible. Dumping is not an option so I am okay with not being able to have my junk food (in moderation). Just wanted to know from those who have been there, done that and have the T-shirts what too expect.

Thanks all,

Bigmoe99

Edited by bigmoe99

I have found that my taste has changed. I'm almost 2 years post op. I still don't get hungry. I have to remind myself to eat on a schedule. That being said, I still enjoy Popeyes fried chicken. I usually order the kids meal that just has a leg and get a side of red Beans and rice. I just take the skin off the chicken. At Wendy's it's a small chili with added cheese and onions on top. I usually stay away from burgers and fries because of the carbs. If it's pizza, I eat the toppings off and leave the crust.

Everyone's taste is different but fried foods are a big no-no, just in terms of healthy items. I'm only three months out and I eat a lot of chicken but none of it is fried. Actually, I don't eat anything fried. I will eat baked, non-breaded chicken wings every now and then. I eat burgers -- but only the patty, no bun. A lot of places serve them in lettuce if you don't want a bun. The main thing is to follow your doctor's instructions...and log your food!

I'm 6 months out and my taste buds didn't change very much. I can still anything I want, which I wish wasn't so. I can eat scrambled eggs any longer ; only hard boiled eggs or egg whites. I still have a taste for fried foods, fast food places, but soon after I think about it I get nauseous thinking about what I could eat. I do have pizza every once in a while, but I'll do paper thin crust. I love ice cream, sometimes 1x or 2x a week I have a tablespoons of Edys MO sugar added butter pecan ice cream. I can eat fries, but they all taste disgusting now. I also eat a lot of chicken. I've developed taste buds for Beans (black Beans and refried beans). I wasn't much of a fan before surgery. However I try to get as much Protein as I can. I feel like my sweet tooth has increased which isn't good. It doesn't bother to eat anything sweet, except I notice my heart beats a lil faster sometimes. If I eat a burger, I can do a slider with no bun. A can a little less than half a burger if it's not a slider. I try to cook many veggies on Sundays so I can eat throughout the week. I'm allergic to raw veggies so a salad is out of the question. Therefore cooked veggies in the fridge are perfect for me to eat with some sort of chicken dish. Chicken tacos and chicken meatballs are my favorite go tos. Whole Foods sales a variety of chicken meatballs and they're delicious.... Sweet Asian, Buffalo Chicken, Parmasean and Pesto, and Teriyaki flavored for all, no sauce, and they're not frozen.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Okay am i missing something? My bariatric team have told me you still need to eat some carbs. I was hopping people who have been through what i am about to go through, would have been able to enjoy the odd guilty pleasure. I like pizza, why scrap the topping off? I realize i cant have 3-4 pieces if pizza but whats wrong with a half piece of whole wheat thin crust pizza or instead of a burger, a 1/4 piece of a burger. I'm not asking for the world just want to know if i can still enjoy smidgens of the flavours i once enjoyed before surgery.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by bigmoe99

Okay am i missing something? My bariatric team have told me you still need to eat some carbs. I was hopping people who have been through what i am about to go through, would have been able to enjoy the odd guilty pleasure. I like pizza, why scrap the topping off? I realize i cant have 3-4 pieces if pizza but whats wrong with a half piece of whole wheat thin crust pizza or instead of a burger, a 1/4 piece of a burger. I'm not asking for the world just want to know if i can still enjoy smidgens of the flavours i once enjoyed before surgery.

Cheers

Some of those foods will make to dump or cause pain in your stomach. It varies, but after 6 months you might be able to tolerate more. Some carbs like bread and Pasta draw Water to them and they can cause dumping. Also the texture in the stomach is such it can cause temporary blockade and pain. Some people become lactose intolerant after surgery too. It varies a lot between people. Not everyone dumps, but early on you have limited tolerance to a certain foods. Beef in particular can be hard to digest, although ground is supposed to be easier than steak. I mean, I get plenty of carbs in my diet, and I have not had any bread. Eating it would probably feel like swallowing clay at 7 weeks or so out. The sleeve is supposed to be better as far as food limitations, but everyone is limited in the beginning. Long term it depends.

I'm 18 months out and can eat the occasional piece of pizza, I have a hard time with beef burgers and so eat turkey burgers. I eat them with flat bread.< /p>

Carbs aren't bad just eat the healthy ones. My nutritionist added potatoes to my diet. I love them. About once a week I will have 3 small red potatoes. 5 grams of Protein in them. Also sweet potatoes. I weigh and measure so I don't go over my calorie count for the day. Once in a blue moon I make pizza. Only 1/6 of a med. pizza is about right for a pouch and you stay within a 1200 a day cal. Count. 1/2 of a turkey sandwich at lunch also stays in the calorie count. I don't do Pasta or rice but only because I don't tolerate well. So I guess my answer to carbs or no carbs is toleration and calorie count. If you aren't keeping a food log you should be, also weigh and measure what you aren't sure about.

I think most people forgo the bun on a burger, or the crust on a pizza, because they are counting their carbs and know that getting your carbs from complex ones is healthier.

During the 'honeymoon' stage especially it's probably best to not eat things like simple carbs just so you can lose as much weight during that time as possible. As you get into the maintenance phase, then adding things like bread, rice, crusts, etc is doable - in Moderation.

You just have to want to do this. It's not unlike any other 'dieting way of life'... you don't eat the crap foods while you are trying to lose. Having WLS only gives you a tool to make it easier and quicker to lose and to keep it off. You can't expect to still eat crap foods and lose weight.

The bottom line is you are trying to get healthier, and part of that is losing weight. The other part is making good choices.

Thanks Pammieanne and all the others that responded, this is what i needed to know. I am ready a little research one im through all the post op diet suggestion phases and i will take all this good advice to heart and apply. Once again thanks to all the great information.