Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit Goal - now how do I stop?

This is the attitude I had when I was 220 and I enjoyed it a lot, but now that I'm under 190 I seem to be freaking out like a little girl, LOL. Maybe it's the drugs I've been on... who knows.

Anyway - I have an appointment with my Nut on Monday and I'll talk it over with her. If other people weren't telling me that I've lost enough and am looking really thin, I'd probably just blame it on the fat guy in my head. It's not like I'm emaciated... I guess it's hard for everyone when I've gone from the biggest guy in the group to one of the skinniest in a matter of months.

Why stop? After surgery you develop a new lifestyle..something permenent unlike a traditional diet...

I continued on with eating better, healthy, and yes, Less!

Add to that daily exercise, and I am a new person.

And yes, my body did level out where it want's to be...a perfect body fat%

I will be this way for the rest of my life...no more diets...no such thing as maintenance..

If anything, I'm learning to eat healthier all the time, exploring better foods

And I do not deprive myself of life's pleasures...again, for me it is not a diet. I'm enjoying myself.

But that is me, I do not expect people to do things because I do them...everyone has their own life and lifestyle.

The concept of trying to NOT loose weight or worrying about loosing too much weight just don't register in my brain

Hey @@axlr8n, By my calculation, you are only 5 lbs into the "normal" BMI range. Don't know how you feel about using BMI as a guide, but if you gain about 6 pounds, you'll be back into the "overweight" BMI range. [i'm probably going to get killed on this because people HATE the BMI calculations, but it's the de facto calculation used by medical and insurance professionals to assess weight-related risks.] My way of thinking is that I went through too much to get here and never want to see "overweight" again. So I try to stay 5-10 pounds into the "normal" range. That way if my weight creeps up a bit, I have time to catch it before going over that magic line. Also, I've done several "ideal weight" calculations, one from a medical website and one using my doctor's rule-of-thumb, and both of those come in below the BMI "normal" line. One is 8 pounds lower and the other is 12 pounds into the "normal" BMI range.

So, IMHO, you're fine where you are. But, by all means consult with your nutritionist and doctor for confirmation and advice. I'll bet they say you're fine too! Let us know....

The concept of trying to NOT loose weight or worrying about loosing too much weight just don't register in my brain

It's definitely messed with my head. Every time I've tracked food in the past, it's because I've been trying to lose weight. It was a real mental challenge for me to be okay with NOT having a calorie deficit once I started tracking for maintenance. I was in like full-on panic a few times.

It's definitely messed with my head. Every time I've tracked food in the past, it's because I've been trying to lose weight. It was a real mental challenge for me to be okay with NOT having a calorie deficit once I started tracking for maintenance. I was in like full-on panic a few times.

Me too, messing with my head. its a total different way of thinking. One thing I realized, kind of an ahhha moment i had. I've always viewed food as the problem, almost evil in a sense, not true. Food isn't the problem, food is the solution.

I do think completely differently about food than I used to. Before if you offered me something that tasted good or something that was huge I would go for the huge item. But now I go for quality over quantity and I appreciate what I eat so much more now.

(not saying I still don't love some really crappy junk food LOL)

Thanks - I think I'm pretty comfortable at this weight... I just don't want to lose 10 more pounds in the next month which I think is pretty likely unless I do something different. I'm just not sure what that "different" is. I'll let you all know what my Nut says after I talk to her on Monday.

Hey @@axlr8n, By my calculation, you are only 5 lbs into the "normal" BMI range. Don't know how you feel about using BMI as a guide, but if you gain about 6 pounds, you'll be back into the "overweight" BMI range. [i'm probably going to get killed on this because people HATE the BMI calculations, but it's the de facto calculation used by medical and insurance professionals to assess weight-related risks.] My way of thinking is that I went through too much to get here and never want to see "overweight" again. So I try to stay 5-10 pounds into the "normal" range. That way if my weight creeps up a bit, I have time to catch it before going over that magic line. Also, I've done several "ideal weight" calculations, one from a medical website and one using my doctor's rule-of-thumb, and both of those come in below the BMI "normal" line. One is 8 pounds lower and the other is 12 pounds into the "normal" BMI range.

So, IMHO, you're fine where you are. But, by all means consult with your nutritionist and doctor for confirmation and advice. I'll bet they say you're fine too! Let us know....

yes, please post what she says.

I had a real challenge in this department as well. Especially once I started half marathon training. I burn a LOT of extra calories through cardio almost every day now. I had to start tracking my food again, but this time to make sure I'm eating ENOUGH. I added more calorie-dense foods. Every day for lunch I have cheese and peanuts, for example. I also added in more Protein bars as "snacks". In order to not lose weight, I need to eat 2300-2400 calories a day which is a challenge. Here's what my day is looking like lately:

Breakfast: coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

Morning Snack: something carby, like a piece of whole grain toast with some Peanut Butter

Lunch: 2 oz. of cheese (I like to experiment with fancy cheeses now) and 1 oz. peanuts

Afternoon Snack: coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

Pre-workout Snack: Clif Bar

Dinner: Meat! (usually 3-5 oz. of whatever meat my husband is having for dinner)

Evening Snack: Halo Top ice cream sundae (half a pint, plus some kind Syrup and crushed cookie on top)

Bedtime Snack: Coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

See, lots of Protein Bars in there and I've had to add back a lot more carbs. But so far so good. I haven't lost anymore weight since about 2-3 weeks into my half marathon training (I'm on week 14 now with the actual race this Sunday!).

Best of luck to you today in your half marathon! I am doing a 5k next weekend, then starting my training for a triathlon in August.

@@Ryan TN I made it and lived to tell the tale. Kind of sore all over, but no serious damage it seems. Even finished over a minute faster than I trained for!

@@Ryan TN I made it and lived to tell the tale. Kind of sore all over, but no serious damage it seems. Even finished over a minute faster than I trained for!

Congrats! What a major accomplishment!

I had a real challenge in this department as well. Especially once I started half marathon training. I burn a LOT of extra calories through cardio almost every day now. I had to start tracking my food again, but this time to make sure I'm eating ENOUGH. I added more calorie-dense foods. Every day for lunch I have cheese and peanuts, for example. I also added in more Protein bars as "snacks". In order to not lose weight, I need to eat 2300-2400 calories a day which is a challenge. Here's what my day is looking like lately:

Breakfast: coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

Morning Snack: something carby, like a piece of whole grain toast with some Peanut Butter

Lunch: 2 oz. of cheese (I like to experiment with fancy cheeses now) and 1 oz. peanuts

Afternoon Snack: coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

Pre-workout Snack: Clif Bar

Dinner: Meat! (usually 3-5 oz. of whatever meat my husband is having for dinner)

Evening Snack: Halo Top ice cream sundae (half a pint, plus some kind Syrup and crushed cookie on top)

Bedtime Snack: Coffee with cream followed by a Combat Crunch bar

See, lots of Protein Bars in there and I've had to add back a lot more carbs. But so far so good. I haven't lost anymore weight since about 2-3 weeks into my half marathon training (I'm on week 14 now with the actual race this Sunday!).

How'd your race go?

I do think completely differently about food than I used to. Before if you offered me something that tasted good or something that was huge I would go for the huge item. But now I go for quality over quantity and I appreciate what I eat so much more now.

Yeah, who knew that 4 large scallops were a delicious meal and not just an appetizer? This life is waaaaay better!