Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am at my final weigh in and am still debating which surgery to have, I am leaning towards to the sleeve although my surgeon is encouraging the lap band. What made you decide the sleeve over the other options?

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had my first consultation with the nutritionist today and she seemed to be pushing the sleeve. She mentioned that their office does very few bands now because as a society we are getting larger and the sleeve seems to lead to larger faster weight loss.

The seminar I went to the surgeon said he taking out more bands than putting in... Google to see if their is a relationship between your surgeon and either of the companies that make the band.

@@krr343 I went to the surgeon with Band in mind. He told me the same as @ that more are removed than put in these days. He also said that 50-60% of lapband patients require a secondary surgery due to complications. I'm going with the sleeve. I have alot more weight to lose than the lapband can help with too.

I don't know which to too choose they have said I'd do better with the bypass, but im leaning toward the band help

Have you gone to any of the information seminars at a Bariatric Center? What are your "stats" - how much do you have to lose? It seems less and less surgeons are putting in the band these days.

I don't know If it worked yesterday lol! I've been to meeting about all the proceedures and what might happen after and how much weight I can loose with all different ops this was with the bariatric nurse and dietitian. They told me to attend the support group (which is people who have had both) but no one would talk about. I'm in the uk btw

Hi Everyone,

I am at my final weigh in and am still debating which surgery to have, I am leaning towards to the sleeve although my surgeon is encouraging the lap band. What made you decide the sleeve over the other options?

Thank you so much!

Don't get the band!!!!!!!!!!

i had the band for 6 years... lost weight.. got to goal and maintained for 5

I had complications during the last year and had it removed after 12 months.

Basically, during the 12 months after i got it removed i gained weight.. a lot... i was really eating well.... exercising.. the works.. tried everything .. yet was still gaining weight.

I went to see the doctor and they said i had reset my resting metabolic rate to quite low...from all the complications from the band.

so they suggested i get weight loss surgery as my body doesn't function on the higher calories.

I had the sleeve done... and ive lost 22 pounds this month...

I was considered a success as i lost all my excess weight.. but this was from starvation.. food would get stuck.. id have to get a fill unfill constantly...

Now that i have the sleeve.... the sleeve is so so so much better... you feel restriction but its a comfortable restriction compared to the painful restriction with the band....

Please please please don't get it..... go for the sleeve or bypass

I had lapband in 2011. Did very well with it. Got to goal, but as others have said, had complications and had to have it removed. I revised to bypass at the end of March. My doctor is revising many of his band patients due to complications. It was a great tool when it wasn't causing problems, but it doesn't seem to be a long term surgery without having additional surgeries later on down the road. And this is not to bash the band, because I loved it when it wasn't causing problems, but more of an observation of what I've seen and experienced.

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

I got a sleeve because I needed more permanent restriction to control my eating. My surgeon said I was so young that I'd have to have my lapband replaced at least once or twice over the years and plus there's the fill maintenance. That was enough to convince me. I have struggled with Portion Control my entire life, so I knew the sleeve was right for me.

Wow I didn't realize any surgeons still recommend the band anymore. Please see another surgeon for a second opinion and do a lot of research. Most of the of stories are negative about band.

The decision, and the success with whatever WLS tool you choose, is entirely yours. It's great that you are doing research in this stage. I'd encourage reading about post-surgery and longterm complications from all the different types of WLS tools...you can search through these on this platform. While reading, ask yourself how you'd live with any of the complications should they happen to you. And ask yourself if you are truly ready, physically and mentally, to do what you can to avoid any user-based complications. (The WLS-based complications you really have no control over. But you must inform yourself of what these might be.)

Inform yourself of what the post-op diet is for your choice of WLS. Short term AND long term. Can you live with what is required of you to not only lose the weight, but keep it off? Do not go into this thinking you'll follow the rules only temporarily....many WLS fail because patients slip back into old habits after the "sweet period" (usually about 18 months) has passed. Bands can be eaten around, sleeves can be stretched, bypasses can be overridden by patients who just cannot, for whatever reason, come around to the idea of a lifetime of WLS-compliant eating.

Be ready to change everything about your current life. WLS will not work if you think it's all about the surgery. Success is met with a holistic approach...the surgery, if done correctly, will dim or eliminate your hunger, at least initially. But you also need to line up mechanisms for filling the space you are no longer eating to fill. Are you ready to take that on?

Wishing you all the best, and a successful and happy outcome to whatever you decide to do.

I went to my first consult yesterday thinking the lap band & came out deciding on the sleeve. She recommended the sleeve as i have 100lbs to lose & I didnt like the idea of a foreign object, needing adjustments (i hate needles) & deciding whether i was going to wear this for life. I also read abt people gaining the weight back, not that it cant happen with the sleeve but personally i feel the sleeve will help me longer term.

Good luck& blessings!

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

I am in the middle of the same battle... I always planned a band but after researching I'm thinking sleeve... My issue was that I was afraid of the sleeve being so permanent and once it's done there is no removing it so thought the band was a better option but minuet to see one person who had a band who was ok with it long term...

I am in the middle of the same battle... I always planned a band but after researching I'm thinking sleeve... My issue was that I was afraid of the sleeve being so permanent and once it's done there is no removing it so thought the band was a better option but minuet to see one person who had a band who was ok with it long term...

I was easily talked out of the Band. 50-60% of band patients need a secondary surgery due to complications (erosion, slippage, etc). I'm going with the sleeve.