Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hear exactly what you are saying. I had that same pain and felt I was really prepared for everything except for that pain. Not being able to pick up my keys off the floor when I dropped them or my water bottle I had to leave behind in the grocery store parking lot because I dropped it and couldn't pick it up was embarrassing to say the least. Having to have my husband put socks on for me because I couldn't take the cold feet any longer and struggling to wipe myself after going to the bathroom were not really things I was prepared for. Then I saw my surgeon who told me about the extra stitch (not everyone gets) to assure I didn't get a hernia and that it could take 4-6 weeks before the pain went away, almost put me over the edge.

On day 16 I realized I was feeling better and was able to pick something up for the first time. On day 17 I put my socks on cleaned my living room and took a 3.5 mile walk. Day 18 I took a 3.5 mile walk (that's today). I'm feeling almost back to "normal". I felt at one point like I was never going to get here but it feels great to be here now. I still feel soreness lingering in the same spot but I can function. There is an end, you will get there. It might not be tomorrow, it might not be for a couple weeks but it will get better. It won't last forever.

Best of luck to you, I feel your pain and know how badly you want it to go away!

Ps a compression tank really helped me too. Held everything a little tighter.

@ Thank you, it's good to know I'm not alone in this!

I'm having similar problems. I've learned to adapt to a lot of them, though. Pivoting my right foot across the floor to move into pants or to move my foot behind me so I can stand from a chair.. "scooping" my foot up with my pants, or learning how to lift my leg as a dead weight so I'm not actually straining myself. Yes, even problems with the wiping has been difficult. Hence why I feel like an invalid.

Edited by Ruth1ess

@@Ruth1ess Pain is different for everyone. It is really important that immediately after surgery you take your prescribed pain medication - regardless if you think you need it. Once the effects wear off - and you experience pain - it is nearly impossible to get caught up and meet your pain needs again. Take the Tramadol as prescribed and take it easy. Take walks - but be sure not to lift anything or overexert yourself. If you're not better in the next day or so - get an appointment with your surgeon or ask them to try a different pain med. Many people sleep upright in a recliner for the first few days post-op from abdominal surgery - it's easier to get up. Hope you feel better soon!

@@Ruth1ess Pain is different for everyone. It is really important that immediately after surgery you take your prescribed pain medication - regardless if you think you need it. Once the effects wear off - and you experience pain - it is nearly impossible to get caught up and meet your pain needs again. Take the Tramadol as prescribed and take it easy. Take walks - but be sure not to lift anything or overexert yourself. If you're not better in the next day or so - get an appointment with your surgeon or ask them to try a different pain med. Many people sleep upright in a recliner for the first few days post-op from abdominal surgery - it's easier to get up. Hope you feel better soon!

Indeed, pain is different for everyone. I was looking for support on this post from people who had experienced the same type of pain that I had, since it isn't discussed here or on other forums. Thank you though for the education lesson!

I was sleeved a month ago... and took my pain meds as prescribed by my doc for a week, until it was finished. We all don't have the same pain tolerance. Take your meds. Give it time. If you truly find the pain beyond unbearable, call your bariatric center. They are always there to help. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by AJKMMC15

I can SOOOO relate to everything you've said. The 4th day was the absolute worst for me. The incision your speaking of was incredibly painful for me as well. Getting out of bed was excruciating. That 4th day I felt that perhaps I had made a huge mistake with this surgery. I too wanted to be off pain meds. However, day 5 was a lot better. By day 6 I felt good enough to return to work. Believe me, you're not alone. It gets better, I promise. Just hang in there.

It sounds like this might also be from your drain site, which is the other bigger incision. Mine hurt for about a week. Give it 72 hours. The other sites didn't really hurt that badly. Call the doctor on Monday if there is still no improvement. Good luck!

1) stop using those muscles 2) try liquid Tylenol 3) use a pillow to push in your tummy where it hurts when you absolutely do have to (getting up and down), but mostly try to rely on your arms rather than your abs. You should search you tube for some videos for moms recovering from cesarean section. And how they need to get in and out of bed but let their abdominal incision heal. Also do not lift ANYTHING heavier than your Water bottle or single serving Protein Shake.