Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating with post op diet

Hi I am 12 days post op from surgery and I have already cheated with some fries with ranch yesterday and today the toppings of a pizza slice I know this is horrible and a definate no no but I could not resist when everyone is eating this in front of me, I don't know what to do now after I already ate it but I am so tempted to eat other than. Water because the shakes do not go down they are to thick and my Dr told me to get Isopure but I have not gone to go get it yet to try them. This is not a good thing to do but now what is there to do, I need help.

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

The following is simply my opinion...

At 12 days out, you can't cheat with the post op 'diet'..

At 12 days out, you're not on a weight loss diet...

At 12 days out, you're on a post-surgery, what's best for your healing innards 'diet'..

At 12 days out, what you're doing is going against a medically 'prescribed' eating plan that is given to you to assist with the quicker healing and recovery from what is major surgery, and should see you thru until you're able to start eating regular food again...

So (again, in my opinion), at 12 days out, what you're doing is CHOOSING to ignore the doctor's orders and eat something that, while calorically won't make a scrap of difference long term, could (repeat, COULD, not will) have a massive effect on the time it takes to heal properly...

Of course, I'm no doctor...

I'm just some guy who has an opinion on stuff...

And yes, I know EXACTLY how difficult this stuff is...

But believe me, the rewards are so worth the inconvenience...

Good luck with your choices in the next few weeks...

Ask people to stop eating that stuff around you or move to another room. It sucks so much but you have to look after your new tummy. Im on a 5 week pre op diet and climbing the walls craving wise but i keep telling myself this is to protect myself during surgery

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ask people to stop eating that stuff around you or move to another room. It sucks so much but you have to look after your new tummy. Im on a 5 week pre op diet and climbing the walls craving wise but i keep telling myself this is to protect myself during surgery

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I will thanks

Thanks but as you know its a very hard battle for those of us that have to cook for the little ones at home.

If you are the cook then maybe focus on cooking them foods that are less likely to tempt you and would also improve their diets for the long term. It is a hard battle but one you can be in control of

I used to go in the other room and eat a sugar free ice pop. You really need to follow that diet. You may have complications if you don't.

I know it is tough, but the post op diet restrictions are there to help with the healing of your new stomach. It's like feeding an infant pizza toppings- just not a good idea.

Try to start looking for alternatives during each of your food phases that can help you with the cravings.- because it will only get harder if you don't establish some habits and control early on. Alternatives can be anything from a tasty yogurt, specialty cheese to a non food alternative. When my cravings hit I give myself a fresh manicure- it's hard to eat when your nails are drying. Usually by the time my nails are dry the craving has passed. Also, I will do a facial and have splurged on some really good facial treatments.

My motto is that I was the one who choose to have surgery- not those around me. I can't expect everyone to change their lifestyle because of me. I had to learn to deal with it. There will always be food around, try to begin now making food just fuel for life not enjoyment.

Start researching new hobbies or make a list of all the things you want to do when you lose weight. These things helped me stay focused.

I cheat to! About the same time as you. I also cook for my children and because I felt no pain, I diside to try a peace of fried fish. Ive had so much discomfort, that my guilt disappeared, and then pain. Even though portion was tiny and I chew hell out if eat, it was not worth it. So, I stopped! I need two more weeks to the next level of soft food(from blended) I can wait. I wish you the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

food is always going to be around you and no one around you should have to change what they eat or avoid eating in front of you. It's a huge part of our lives and always will be. You need to be able to control your emotional eating if you want to be successful. Not only is "cheating" going to interfere with your weight loss but this early out, it could cause serious complications. It's just not worth the 2 seconds of satisfaction. Put it behind you and move forward. Good luck.

Why did you have the surgery if you have no will power ? Surely you knew people would eat good stuff in front of you. My fiance decided to cook my kids and him ribs , and some awesome sides last night , it smelled so good through the house , I'm only 3 days out and they even ate where I was but I wasn't tempted because I knew it would happen. They don't have to change their eating habits because of me.was I a little upset he chose such a good tempting meal knowing I'm only three days out , yes. I was a little. But this is why they had you go to a therapist to make sure you can handle it. I'm not going to sugar coat my answer , you won't benefit from your sugery doing what your doing !

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using the BariatricPal App

Edited by future Mrs

I understand the temptation, believe me. I was at a super bowl party one week post-op and had major temptations to eat what everyone else was eating instead of sipping on Soup. I even cried over it. But you have to resist these temptations for your own health. This isn't like any diet plan you've tried before where you slip up and think, well tomorrow will be a better day. You could seriously damage your insides if you don't stick to the doctor's plan. Please do everything in your power to prevent this from happening again. If you need to leave the room while others are eating, do it. If you need to ask that others not eat in front of you, do that too. You need to think about the damage that you could do to yourself. Find a support person who will tell you NO when your mind says yes. My mom was that person for me...without her, I probably would have cheated a couple of weeks in!

I don't want to wag my finger at you, obviously you know this isn't good... hmm... if you can't keep a Protein shake down, drink half a shake, and then an hour later, drink the other half - 11oz of shake can be a lot in the early going.

You can't put your whole family on a bariatric diet, obviously, but you could maybe shift what they are eating a little bit so as to be less tempting for you, and less bad if you strayed a little.

Lastly, you can try to look for things that might be a little outside the prescribed diet, but won't be too - hard, fatty, starchy or sugary.. things like a little bit of soft scrambled eggs, some low sugar oatmeal with a little soft fruit....