Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one ride horses?

I've been involved with horses all of my life. I have also been varying degrees of overweight/obese all my live. I have ridden when not SMO but look forward to riding again. I have a horse now and do ground work with him but haven't ridden in some time.

Any one else out there that can tell me the difference they experience in their riding?

involved with horses all of my life.

@@WantToBe

@@CowgirlJane

i think this question is right up your "trail" :rolleyes:

throwing hat in the air!!

ride 'em cowboy!!

kathy

I'm headed out on my horse right now to look for shed antlers.

The best part....I got to buy a new saddle!

I can hop up onto the saddle without having to find a rock or log to climb on.

I have closer contact with my horse and can feel her subtle movements.

I have much better balance.

And as you know, riding is a great Pilates-like and leg workout.

To tell you the truth, I had WLS for her as much as for me. Her name is Kindle and I'm sure no one is happier about my weight loss than her. It's 100 pounds less she has to lug up and down the mountain trails.

headed out on horse now to look for shed antlers.

@@Kindle

oh no bud !!!!

did i mean to say your name

not @@CowgirlJane

see what happens when you get older!!!

you don't always remember things

what, what did i just say? :wacko::D

woo hoo

i just saw CowgirlJane pic

she is another horse person

(sounds funny!!)

guess i'm not as old as i thought!!

wait, what were we talking about again :wacko: ;)

Thanks, proudgranny. Kindle, these are all the things I am looking forward to doing. My boy is 16.2 so not sure I'll be mounting without an aid but looking forward to trying. Thanks for responding and hope you have a good time on your hunt.

My horse is 15.3 and while I can mount from tbe the ground, I don't...hard on the back even if you are normal weight.

Losing weight transformed me in many ways. In my riding I went from quite cautious (I was 250-300# range!) to being a bold strong rider. I surpassed my riding pals in skill and confidence. It was losing weight and really getting strong- that core strength makes such a difference.

The day I put one boot on the wheel of a tire and swung my leg up and over to hop in the bed of my Dodge 3500 4x4 without even thinking (it used to be an ordeal getting in and out of there), was the day I realized it was a whole new ballgame!

@@proudgrammy there are a couple of us horseback riders on here. Kindle and I are the only regular posters I think.

I have had horses for 35 or 40 years. I had gotten to the point of not riding because I was too heavy and too tired. My horse is 15.1 and I am only 5'0 so I have always used a mounting block, a tree stump or whatever is available to mount. we used to ride up in Ga. and he actually would stop half way up a long steep trail and look around at me like "Really?". so since losing my weight he is happier and so am I. I also love to go to different parts of the Country and ride at the dude ranches. My BFF and I have gone to Wyoming, Colorado and now we have a trip planned to Canada to the Canadian rockies. I feel like a kid again and love my horses. It is truly a joy to be small enough to enjoy riding again. that was a true benefit of all of the work.

I hope I am able to ride for many more years.

Oh my. Thank you all for responding. Once horses are in your blood they are in your blood. My horse and companion pony live with me. I would LUV to hop on and just ride on the trails. I live in an area that allows me that luxury. I am so excited to see the difference that another 100 pound loss will mean to my riding.

Edited by WantToBe

I know that I've gained a lot of confidence in the saddle since losing weight. I'm not as worried I'm going to fall off as easily, I can mount her better, and I've even gotten on her bareback (which I never would have been able to do 130+ lbs ago)

Ok, so I really know nothing about horses, but I'm curious... how much should you weigh to ride a horse? I know it probably depends on the horse, but what is a ballpark range? Thx!

i was riding my horse at 240. I'm now 140. There are guys i ride with that probably weigh 250. But they have bigger horses...Tennessee walkers, Peruvian draft crosses, andalusians, etc. so it's not an issue. A couple clients of ours are outfitters and they have a few draft horses to accommodate their larger clients, but they still cut it off at 300 pounds. They also stay to fairly level trails, they aren't bushwacking up a mountain side, through thick brush, over deadfall and crossing deep creeks like we often do. And like you said it depends on the breed and build of the horse. A 14 hand Arabian, for example, certainly wouldn't do well carrying a 300 pound rider.

I'm just learning about the sleeve....pretty excited!

I'm 250 and not riding my horse right now......except for bareback in the arena for 5-10 minutes every once in awhile :) He's only 14.2 hands and even though he can carry me, I'm not going to make him. I do take him for 3-5 mile walks with me and my BFF, tho! He loves it!

One of the reasons (besides my health and apnea) I want to lose this 110# is because I'm planning on entering the Clinton Anderson Academy to become a clinician.....and I can't do that at 250# :)

Someone else mentioned her balance on horseback is much better since her weight loss. I used to do a LOT of riding....mine and exercising others' horses. And I can definitely tell a huge difference in my balance and whole riding posture, etc.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you here! I'm going to my first meeting with the doctors tonight.....woo hooo!!!! :)

Edited by HorseChik

I'm just learning about the sleeve....pretty excited!

I'm 250 and not riding my horse right now......except for bareback in the arena for 5-10 minutes every once in awhile :) He's only 14.2 hands and even though he can carry me, I'm not going to make him. I do take him for 3-5 mile walks with me and my BFF, tho! He loves it!

One of the reasons (besides my health and apnea) I want to lose this 110# is because I'm planning on entering the Clinton Anderson Academy to become a clinician.....and I can't do that at 250# :)

Someone else mentioned her balance on horseback is much better since her weight loss. I used to do a LOT of riding....mine and exercising others' horses. And I can definitely tell a huge difference in my balance and whole riding posture, etc.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you here! I'm going to my first meeting with the doctors tonight.....woo hooo!!!! :)

I'm getting sleeved in one week and just had this conversation with my horse last night. I can't wait to see the difference losing my weight and developing my core muscles will make. My boy is draftx and I made sure he was able to handle my weight. I want more confidence and think that weight loss will definitely benefit.

I can honestly say that right behind health this is the main reason I am pursuing the sleeve. I want to see what riding would be like if I were lighter and more balanced. Someone mentioned energy level. No can't wait to see how my energy level changes. I am so excited for my new journey to begin.

Edited by WantToBe