Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of the biggest draws to WLS is better health, whether you have joint pain, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, or any number of other weight-related problems. So…has weight loss surgery delivered on the promise of better health? Have you gotten off some of your meds and had improvements in any of your conditions? How long did it take after surgery? Share your good news here!

@@Alex Brecher - great topic. It took three months, but in that time I quit taking meds for high blood pressure, got rid of my CPAP, no more meds for gout. Pain in knee went away. Back pain ended. Side note, also ended all the ED meds. I feel better than I did when I was 19.

Alex, better results than I could have believed possible. At 11 mos post bypass:

Prior to surgery: Type 2 diabetes getting worse each year, even with good compliance; been on high blood pressure meds for 42 years; edema in legs and feet starting to limit mobility; blood fats not good; diabetes related neuropathy in feet getting worse, future risk of losing feet, certainly all feeling in my feet. sleep apnea, use of CPAP for over a decade.

Results: The diabetes is 90% better -- my A1C (quarterly test of average daily blood glucose) was normal with a tiny amount of meds -- my doctor thinks I might go off all diabetes meds with another 40#. Off all blood pressure meds since day one of surgery, have not had a high reading in 11 months. My edema is completely gone since 90 days out. My blood fats are actually low now -- for over 6 months. My neuropathy is stable (can't be reversed but no more damage since surgery); still have to use CPAP because my apnea is likely related to genetics (slim dad and brother both severe apnea). Mobility -- amazing, riding a bicycle again, walking, hiking, swimming with greater ease. And all of this with a reduction in weight of over a 130#.

I am only 2 months out from surgery - but two days before I had surgery I went off diabetes meds and have never looked back. I now only check blood sugar once a week - and it is *always* normal. I am on half my blood pressure meds.

I have what is probably an inflammatory auto immune disorder and my pain is down by at least 70%.

The diabetes is the reason I chose to have surgery and I am THRILLED. the weight loss is a very nice side effect for me. Happy Happy Happy.

Arthritis pain managed well with Tylenol now. Cortisone shots only in one knee instead of two. sleep apnea gone. Gerd gone. Blood pressure managed better. Normal cholesterol levels. Went from 11 pills a day to 2.

Immediately off of blood pressure medication after surgery. My surgeon even commented that my BP remained normal even during surgery and right after. Resting heat rate is at least 30 beats slower per minute. Stopped Migraine medication immediately. Blood platelet medication reduced by half. Will continue to have everything monitored for awhile just to ensure all is well. Back, leg pain already greatly reduced. 4 weeks out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Off my diabetes med in the hospital day after surgery and now at 10 months post-op, my endocrinologist declared my diabetes in complete remission as of last week. I was also able to stop taking cholesterol med and my blood pressure has been excellent.

I was off my BP meds within a month of surgery. At 3 months I was off my diabetes meds. I am just waiting to do another sleep test to see about my apnea.

I love these! Congratulations to all of you who have gotten off meds, improved your numbers, reduced pain, improved your sleep, and gained mobility. That’s all worth an incalculable amount beyond “just” the amount of weight you lose after WLS.