Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about improvements in foot and knee arthritis pain with weight loss

Hi everyone, I'm 50 with pretty severe mid-foot arthritis and some knee pain as well. I was wondering if anyone in a similar situation before VSG found relief through weight loss? My Ortho strongly suggested that I consider the surgery to help improve these conditions. I need to lose around 120 lbs. I'd love to hear if you found relief from these types of pain after the surgery. I'm hoping that I can find some relief from pain and increase my mobility in the process!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

​I have Osteoarthritis in my feet, knees, hips and right shoulder. I had a hip replacement in 2013, that was my "ah ha" moment. I asked my surgeon and PCP about Bariatric surgery and they were both extremely supportive. I need my knees replaced and surgery on my right foot. Though the VSG won't improve the damage already done, they pain has decreased significantly and I can take long walks now. I am 49 and have 70 more pounds to go. I plan on putting off surgery as long as possible. In my opinion, yes, it has improved the pain. I hope this helps some. This forum is an excellent place to ask a lot of questions!

Thanks Montana Gal!

Your response gives me hope :) All I want to be able to do at this point is get through the day with less pain and walk my dog on the nature trail down the road in the evening! I attended my first support meeting this past week and this site was recommended in the meeting. I'm so glad to have found these forums!

I'm 47 and have lost around 170 with 70 or so more left to go before I feel I'm close to where I want to be.

Severe advanced arthritis in both knees. Bone spur in left foot outer edge, surgically repaired tendons in right ankle, spinal stenosis and a few other ailments that nag me........all of which have been very much improved since losing this weight since last June.

There are days that go by that I take nothing for pains......nothing. This is crazy when one considers how much Advil and other stuff I used to choke down every single day of my life.

I can't wait to get the rest of this weight off and see how it feels then.

By the time I lost the first 30 pounds I could feel a difference in the pressure on my joints.

Imagine wearing a two-month old colt for a belt. That is what 100 extra pounds feels like. Now imagine the relief on your back and your joints from taking that colt off your waist and putting it on the ground where it belongs.

One of the reasons I had to get sleeved was because that 100 extra pounds was collapsing my spine. No regrets. I feel so much better and have much better range of motion.

I've lost 100 pounds -- now maintaining at 135 pounds.

I have severe knee arthritis (especially in the right knee). I took two Aleve every day for decades prior to WLS. I haven't had any NSAIDs for nearly two years now.

And my knees don't hurt! I walk as far as 7-8 miles a day.

I've taken my knee replacement surgeries off the calendar. Don't need 'em now, my PCP says. (That might change in the future, of course.)

My lower back pain is gone.

One thing is odd -- the last 15 pounds I lost had the greatest impact on my pain cessation. So please try to get into the "normal" weight zone to see if that won't help you a lot.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Thank you for sharing your story! I can't wait to get this weight off! The thought of possibly getting off NSAIDs and being able to walk without this level of pain makes me want to cry! A good cry

Thank you for sharing your story! I can't wait to get this weight off! The thought of possibly getting off NSAIDs and being able to walk without this level of pain makes me want to cry! A good cry

No promises......but......but.....it's more than a thought..............it is a REALITY that may be well within your grasp.

And don't think it's going to take forever for it to occur, either. The one thing that I wasn't really ready for were the paces of the bariatric process.

The initial visits, seminars, webinars, insurance requirements, ancillary medical checkoffs, etc.....seemed to take forever to matriculate through. But then......once your ship makes port.......its a fast and wild ride from there. The benefits of your decision to have this surgery will overtake you quickly.

Get ready to feel amazing..........

@@KLat I myself suffer with knee and back pain and I can't wait to do my sleeve. I cry night n day with pain and nothing helps. Hope we will overcome!

I've lost 100 pounds -- now maintaining at 135 pounds.

I have severe knee arthritis (especially in the right knee). I took two Aleve every day for decades prior to WLS. I haven't had any NSAIDs for nearly two years now.

And my knees don't hurt! I walk as far as 7-8 miles a day.

I've taken my knee replacement surgeries off the calendar. Don't need 'em now, my PCP says. (That might change in the future, of course.)

My lower back pain is gone.

One thing is odd -- the last 15 pounds I lost had the greatest impact on my pain cessation. So please try to get into the "normal" weight zone to see if that won't help you a lot.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I so look forward to being in this "place"! My spine is a mess and I constantly " throw out" my back and end up in bed for days. Thank you for sharing your success - it gives me hope!

@@Dub thx for the encouraging words. I'm excited to get my sleeve over with. My sufferings has been too much with knee n back pain

@@Dub thx for the encouraging words. Can't wait to get my sleeve done. Been suffering to long with knee and back pain

I had a knee that ached constantly, it was a soft ball injury to start with, then arthritis. Once I lost like the first 60 the pain almost disappeared. Now I have no knee pain at all. I was so used to it, it still surprises me. It used to creak and crack all the time and it never does now.

I had nearly the exact same problems you described. I am 56 and April 9th was my 1 year "surgiversary"! I have lost 100 lbs and I can walk forever, it seems, now, without ANY foot pain! Before surgery, I couldn't walk to the mailbox without excruciating pain. My life has changed dramatically for the better! I've been so thankful I made this decision!

Just want to add my two pennyworth about bodily aches. I'm 59&1/2, ex ballet dancer, have osteoarthritis in both my knees, have had my right hip replaced and my lower back is knackered. I would post the MRI pic of my back but you'd all probably post that I should be shot like a decrepit old mare. I WAS taking so much medication before having my sleeve done but now I am onto minimal amounts and that is just to maintain the minimal amount of pain that I sometimes have. I walk for miles with my dogs most days and rarely do I get any back pain from doing that although there are days when my left knee really plays up. My (newish) hip is wonderful-I don't even know that I have got a man-made object there. I still get a bit of recurring plantar fasciitis in my left foot but I cope with that. However, before the op, everything hurt for the majority of the time. Now, having shifted 50lbs of unwanted lard in the six months since my surgery I can breeze along with the best of them. In fact, I can out walk most of my dog walking pals easily. Can't wait to get the next 30lbs off to get to my goal to see how that feels! I liken my journey to having managed to throw off a particularly clingy toddler who was clamped to my frame. Either that or three paper sacks of costco Maris Piper spuds!!!!!! I love my weight loss and am so glad that I bit the bullet and just got sleeved. Just wish I had done it years ago.

Edited by jintycb