Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what's the deal with fizzy drinks?

So what's the deal, are straws bad to use or not? My diet plan called for me to utilize a straw when consuming the Protein Shake. Also, what's up with diet sodas, bad or not?

Also, would a Michelob Ultra from a cup be bad, when the times right that is?

Edited by jmata146

How do you edit your comment? This phone not doing me justice. Lol

From the app, just tap anywhere in your own post. It should bring up a menu of options, one of which will be 'edit'.

From the app, just tap anywhere in your own post. It should bring up a menu of options, one of which will be 'edit'.
Thanks!

Thanks!
Oh yes it worked. ..

So what's the deal, are straws bad to use it not? My diet plan called me to utilize a straw when consuming the Protein shake. Also, what's up with diet sodas, bad or not.

I use a straw every single day. In fact, I've walked into an appointment with my surgeon drinking a passion fruit iced tea from Starbucks through a straw. He didn't say a single word. In my opinion, if a straw makes things easier for you, drink away

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I use straws quite regularly. Anytime you swallow any food or Water or even saliva you're going to take in some air with it. It's entirely unavoidable. My surgeon's office agrees that the concern over straws is just so silly and unfounded. I too was given straws in my cups of Water at the hospital after surgery.

As for carbonated beverages, my NUT insists that it is merely an issue of tolerance. Some people experience pain from them, and some experience nothing more than an extra burp or two. I was told that if I turn out to be in the latter category, then don't worry about it, provided my choices are sugar and caffeine-free. I have elected to wait until my 3 month mark to find out, which is next week. So on Monday, I very much look forward to learning if my old love Pellegrino and I still have a future together...

I use straws quite regularly. Anytime you swallow any food or Water or even saliva you're going to take in some air with it. It's entirely unavoidable. My surgeon's office agrees that the concern over straws is just so silly and unfounded. I too was given straws in my cups of Water at the hospital after surgery.

As for carbonated beverages, my NUT insists that it is merely an issue of tolerance. Some people experience pain from them, and some experience nothing more than an extra burp or two. I was told that if I turn out to be in the latter category, then don't worry about it, provided my choices are sugar and caffeine-free. I have elected to wait until my 3 month mark to find out, which is next week. So on Monday, I very much look forward to learning if my old love Pellegrino and I still have a future together...

Good luck with the pellegrino...

If gas build up from carbonation could "stretch a sleeve", why aren't Beans, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage and other foods known to cause big gas also frowned upon?

Sorry, it's ludicrous to think air could stretch one's tummy.

Probably because the gas they create (begins in the intestines?)

I think the "frowned upon" is by the people around us after we eat those foods and the digestion process causes big gas.

I was told that the sleeve is created from stomach tissue that does not easily stretch. Carbonation expands in the stomach and can be painful as it has nowhere to go. I have had a few sips of carbonated drink since surgery and did feel some discomfort.

I did find out I could tolerate beer (which we shouldn't) by pouring it into a glass and allowing the carbonation to exit first, but if I try to drink it directly from a bottle it is challenging and even painful.

My surgeon told me the issue of drinking with straws was an urban legend and told me there was no issue doing so.

I met my surgeon and nutrionist today and they said wait at least 3 months before drinking out of a straw. I was also told no more carbonated drinks EVER.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

By the way. You said you only drink diet sodas when you are out to dinner. I'm not supposed to drink anything 1/2 hour before a meal, during a meal or 1/2 hour after a meal. That is a tough one since most of us are used to having something to drink with every meal. Oh well. Not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SassyNanny

We've been told by our doctors what is necessary to cover their side in case something negative happens post-op. (They did "everything" they could....).

With that in mind, sodas or fizzies weren't good for us to begin with. It's empty calories. Yeah it tastes amazing. But it's plain not good for our bodies, before or after surgery.

My friend had her surgery 8 months before I had mine. She started drinking sodas 8 days post op, among other habits most of us should frown upon. I'm 4 lbs away from my goal, she's 50 lbs away. So bad choices lead to bad results. Right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

In a nutshell carbonated drinks are to be avoided because they are unhealthy and make one fat and unhealthy!

Rather than ask why you can't do something the better question is given the decision to have A VGS why would you want to have carbonated drinks? Especially if it is one of your favorite things? I don't know about you but I have the least amount of control over my favorites.

I was a 2-3 liters of Coke Zero a day and trying to break myself was tough. I am treating it like rehab I just choose not to drink it today because I know where it will end.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Not all carbonated drinks are unhealthy and make you fat. There's sparkling Water for example. I believe the assumption (no research has been done to prove it) is that carbonation could stretch the sleeve. It also often causes significant pain and discomfort.

I would not drink carbonated drinks just in case of the possibility of stretching your pouch.

I think that the OP was not referring to carbonated waters (they can correct me if I am wrong).

My point was that VSG is not a solution, it is a tool and without significant life style changes it will become ineffective over time. The vast majority of us did not get to this point in our lives drinking carbonated waters. I am pretty sure that a lot of us here were addicited to the main stream carbonated drinks such as Coke and their diet or zero offerings. Those products were created to be addicitive are a big part of our obesity cycle.

I don't want to fall back in to that trap so I am good with removing them from my life which is really hard but if the idea that it would hurt and that my NUT says they are verbotten, well that just helps.

I am sure carbonated Water could be fine and I am sure there are people who have 1 12oz Coke Zero a month and are fine. But I am going to guess that the folks that can have 1 Coke Zero a month are in the minority here. (It would be interesting to see just how many of us were or are addicted to those drinks and what quantities we consumed pre SVG. I was easily 1 gallon -2 gallons a day of Coke Zero!)

I think that the OP was not referring to carbonated waters (they can correct me if I am wrong).

Not all carbonated drinks are unhealthy and make you fat. There's sparkling Water for example. I believe the assumption (no research has been done to prove it) is that carbonation could stretch the sleeve. It also often causes significant pain and discomfort.

I would not drink carbonated drinks just in case of the possibility of stretching your pouch.

My point was that VSG is not a solution, it is a tool and without significant life style changes it will become ineffective over time. The vast majority of us did not get to this point in our lives drinking carbonated waters. I am pretty sure that a lot of us here were addicited to the main stream carbonated drinks such as Coke and their diet or zero offerings. Those products were created to be addicitive are a big part of our obesity cycle.

Since I am not a soda drinker (diet or regular) - I looked at this from a different perspective. I managed to get morbidly obese without having a soda addiction - or a sugar addiction for that matter. So - they're not a big part of my obesity cycle. I think most of us realize that we can't go back to our old eating habits after surgery - and be successful - but not all of us have the same reasons we are obese. The OP asked why we can't drink fizzy drinks - they weren't suggesting they had a soda addiction and didn't want to make a lifestyle change after surgery. We read things differently depending on our own experiences and history.

In a nutshell carbonated drinks are to be avoided because they are unhealthy and make one fat and unhealthy!

Rather than ask why you can't do something the better question is given the decision to have A VGS why would you want to have carbonated drinks? Especially if it is one of your favorite things? I don't know about you but I have the least amount of control over my favorites.

I was a 2-3 liters of Coke Zero a day and trying to break myself was tough. I am treating it like rehab I just choose not to drink it today because I know where it will end.

I don't want to fall back in to that trap so I am good with removing them from my life which is really hard but if the idea that it would hurt and that my NUT says they are verbotten, well that just helps.

I am sure carbonated Water could be fine and I am sure there are people who have 1 12oz Coke Zero a month and are fine. But I am going to guess that the folks that can have 1 Coke Zero a month are in the minority here. (It would be interesting to see just how many of us were or are addicted to those drinks and what quantities we consumed pre SVG. I was easily 1 gallon -2 gallons a day of Coke Zero!)

I drink a 2 liter or two of Coke Zero a week. I'm fine at three years out and maintaining. My NP is fine with it, too. :)

Hi London! I'm the OP, and I'm about to correct you ;)

As a matter of fact, my question was not referencing soda's specifically. I have never been one to drink my calories. I didn't get fat from soda. I got fat from eating salty/savory things like fast food and popcorn. Sugar is not my wheelhouse. While I of course have had the occasional diet soda in my life, I am by no means addicted to them. I don't even really like them that much.

I have a "sodastream" machine at home that I use to carbonate water. I then add something like Crystal Lite or on occasion a little bit of fruit juice to flavor it. That is was I was referring to when I mentioned that it would be hard to get used to not being able to have fizzie drinks.

"Rather than ask why you can't do something the better question is given the decision to have A VGS why would you want to have carbonated drinks?" - to quote you specifically from an earlier post.

I must admit that I do not appreciate this way of thinking, nor the implication behind it. In my opinion, we are having a major surgery, with major life-changes built in. It is of the UTMOST importance that we understand each of these changes and why they are necessary. Not knowing the consequence only makes you that much more likely to break the rule. And asking questions is the only way to get answers. I'm not sorry I asked, and I wasn't wrong to ask. And asking a question does not make me less committed to my surgery or to the lifestyle changes that are needed.

I am sure you had good intentions, but really hope you know judgmental your post came across. I do hope that we can be friends.