Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is the pre-op diet necessary and so hard?

I haven't bought any, I don't like them :( Don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Yeah I'm proud of myself and thank to you guys I didn't give in! Im trying to move around n dance now :-) trying to escape the reality of my dreadful assignment!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

And w'ere proud of you too. Well done.

As stated, it shrinks your liver which lowers the risk of it being cut during the procedure since it is in the way of the surgical site.

It gives the surgeon more room to work in the abdominal cavity.

Your reduced weight lowers your risk of a complication.

It shows the surgeon that you are capable of adhering to a pre-op diet so you should be able to adhere to the post WLS stages and have a better chance of a long term success post WLS.

Count your blessings, millions of people in the world can't even get enough food to eat or Water to drink just to survive.

Day 4 or 5 is pretty much the worst of it, then it gets easier, then the weight starts dropping quickly and provides a great motivation. Hang in there, it sucks but you are about over the hurdle now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Count your blessings, millions of people in the world can't even get enough food to eat or Water to drink just to survive.

Is this necessary, why try guilt-tripping people when it's neither their fault nor something they can fix. Some have, some have not, that's the way of the world.

Edited by RosieCheeks

Is this necessary, why try guilt-tripping people when it's neither their fault nor something they can fix. Some have, some have not, that's the way of the world.

It's not guilt tripping.

Instead of people being miserable for what they do not have, they should be thankful for what they have.

"That's the way of the world"? Wow, too bad you think that way. Be careful of how you feel about less fortunate people, Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

You don't know how I feel about less fortunate people, my statement is mere fact.

I'm worried now, my company didn't put any emphasis on the pre-op diet, they just said to me 'try to eat healthily until you go away' . I have been strict with myself; porridge for Breakfast, and a lean cold meat salad for tea, the odd cup-a-soup here and there, no Snacks, some fruit and lots of Water. Have I done enough?

Normally the pre-op diet is carb free and/or all liquid. So porridge would be out. Mostly broth, Protein shakes and sugar free drinks, Jello, and popsicles.

Thanks. They didn't give me any info so I guess I'll just have to take my chances but I'll be very cross if my op doesn't go ahead because of it.

I was just told to follow a healthy diet two weeks before surgery and everything was fine. I get my Protein Powder online (belgian choc PhD brand...mix it with Peanut Butter and ice and milk....delicious...tastes like a reeces peanutbutter cup....mmmm

I've been liquid all day today so I'll carry that on until Monday.

I'm on Day 5 of a 14 day pre-op diet and it alternates between being really easy and really hard. I make sure to always have sugar free Jello cups at work & home in case I need anything sweet. I also have sugar free tropical popsicles at home for when I feel like I need "dessert" or something cold, as ice cream/gelato are major downfalls of mine. Jello & Popsicles are considered "free" foods on my 14 day pre-op diet from my program so even if I went bingey and ate 4 in a row it would be ok. Although so far i've only needed one and been ok. I also have requirements for Protein Shakes (less than 10 grams of fat per serving, at least 18 grams of Protein, low sugars) and I have one called "SDC About Time chocolate Peanut Butter" that is AMAZING, plus I add PB2 to it and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It tastes like a Peanut Butter cup. I already know that I have a fatty liver and i'm only 30 so i'm taking it very seriously. I think there are definitely ways to do the pre-op diet without feeling like going absolutely crazy like the popsicles, chocolate protein powder and really good lean meals like grilled shrimp or something. I'm trying to be as creative as possible. That doesn't mean I don't have periods of cravings that are REALLY strong. But I'm allowed to have sugar free diet iced tea so i'll drink one of them and even though they have artificial sweeteners which I hate putting in my body, it gets me through and that's all that matters right now. I hope that helps, and feel free to message me anytime!

Edited by byebyebmi

I am on day 5 and also a chocoholic! :) The chocolate Premier Protein shakes are helping me I have 2 a day lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App