Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how important are teeth after surgery?

Goofy question, I know, but I don't have any, and I'd like to know how soon I should worry about getting some. I have a semi-well-fitting upper denture that I only wear in public, for cosmetic purposes, and I have no lower denture. I literally gum all of my food and there's some stuff I just can't do (most nuts, tough meats, thick crusts on bread, etc). My VSG will be in late May/early June and I know I'll be fine for the first 6 weeks at least, while I'm on liquids and soft stuff, but sooner or later I'm going to need to actually chew my food, to break it down completely for my new tummy. I have a plan worked up with my prosthodontist to have implants put in my lower jaw, just haven't been able to afford it yet, and I'll have to be on soft foods while I'm healing from that as well. So I'm trying to work out a timeline and would just like some idea as to how long after surgery I should plan for this procedure. Thanks so much.

wow I have no advice! but your life is going to change a LOT in the next year from the sounds of it!

You can continue to eat soft foods and avoid stuff like steak. Just make sure to supplement with Protein shakes so you get all your Protein.

Teeth are not that important. You will be find through the point of the liquids stage, and as long as you are gumming soft food to a point of a mushy consistency, you will be fine until you hit the 6 week mark when your stomach is largely healed. I'm sure as things are now you aren't swallowing sharp chunks of things or huge chunks of things because it would hurt your throat or choke you- that doesn't change just because you have a smaller stomach. As long as you are eating soft-ish foods, which you likely already are doing because without teeth sharp foods probably hurt, then you're going to be ok. Teeth are expensive and with or without them, in this particular instance it won't matter much, although I would of course vote for getting the implants if this is something you can afford because it improves upon your overall quality of life.

I am a year out and still eat a lot of soft foods. If you are comfortable eating soft foods and liquids you should be able to go a while without chewing tough things like chicken or steak. You will need to make sure you take small bites and eat slowly. Chewing slowly and thoroughly is not only important for making sure food is small enough it is also important so you feel satisfied. You might want to talk to your NUT about strategies for slowing down and savoring your food.

My surgeon said in his intro lecture that he won't do WLS surgery on anyone without teeth or well fitting dentures that patients wear every day all day.

Yeah, my surgeon didn't mention anything about teeth in the introductory session, but in the last class I attended the dietitian said "think of your teeth as your new stomach" since your stomach will be so small, you need to chew up your food to a liquid consistency in order for it to be digested. That worried me, because right now all I do is basically mash it up until I can swallow it. Soft foods shouldn't present a problem, but I can't even do raw veggies for the most part :(

I think things like eggs, chicken salad, tuna salad, Tilipia or other fish would be easy options for Protein even after the puree stage. You will limited to 2-4 oz per meal/snack.... you should be able to make workable meals until you get implants. Even cooked broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc... shouldn't pose a problem.