Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have had the balloon... any advice for someone getting it this week? things you wish you did/asked?

I'm curious if anyone has a specific medicine they wished they requested from their dr from the beginning. Do you wish you stocked up on any specific foods, gatorade, pillows, trash bins lol anything specific? Did your DR offer IV fluids if you can't get anything down for a few days?

I'm really trying to plan the best I can before getting this done :) Thank you for any help!

Just curious, and please don't be offended, by why was the balloon recommended to you when you are only 208 lbs to start? It's usually used a short term procedure for the very morbidly obese before regular bariatric surgery.

The balloon is not used as a short-term/pre-surgery procedure in the US. In fact, it is only approved for people with BMIs of 30-40 here, so it is basically targeted to people who are not heavy enough to qualify for surgery ... or who would prefer a less invasive option.

Edited by Wayward Traveler

My doctor did see the hernia when the balloon went in. He did not think it was bad enough to stop the procedure. He was very surprised I was having so much heartburn while it was in. BUT I also had a problem with delayed gastric emptying, (I have a test scheduled to address this concern before the hernia repair in May) I did not mention this earlier. We mutually agreed to remove the balloon. You are correct, if you have a hernia or have had a hernia repair you can't get the balloon.

Like without the balloon now is better but my appetite has returned with a vengeance !! But I am working on sticking to a high Protein diet, with few carbs and fats. And hopefully will get to my goal weight this summer. OF course I am exercising at least 3 times a week.

After 3 days I felt a little better. I was good for a few days then I'd get really sick. It went on like that for a month. At 6 weeks I thought I was in the clear. Then I got sick again. Just when I think o have everything figured out, i get sick. :) but it's more manageable now.

I'm about 10 weeks out now.

I had the balloon put in on March 2nd and have lost 25 pounds! I must admit that I am still sick and feel like crap most of the time. I am never hungry and have to force myself to eat. Make sure you take your nausea medicine and do NOT miss a dose or you will want to vomit constantly. Good luck to you!

I wish REGLAN had been given to take home postop. I had to get it called in after the fact when I couldn't take the constant vomiting anymore.

I would definitely stock up on the popsicles and Fiber rich or Fiber supplement. The popsicles have been my go to treat. I was really constipated the first week and wish I would have started a fiber supplement (benefiber) before and after the balloon placement.

I would definitely stock up on the popsicles and Fiber rich or Fiber supplement. The popsicles have been my go to treat. I was really constipated the first week and wish I would have started a fiber supplement (benefiber) before and after the balloon placement.

It's funny ... I seriously don't think I had had a popsicle in decades, but I lived on them for the first three days post-procedure, and they're now my go-to treat - lol! I don't remember them being so refreshing and satisfying, but I've really grown to appreciate them. And when I'm really feeling crazy, I splurge with a 45 calorie / 1 g Protein creamsicle - woo hoo! ;-)

Oh and I second you on the fiber supplements - I wish someone had told me to take them just before/after the procedure. From what I've heard, a lot of people echo that sentiment.

Popsicles a great idea. I would imagine every persons experience is a bit different. I am at day 19, have lost 15 pounds so the nausea, vomiting are worth it! Its so trial and error. You will figure out over time what you can keep down and what you cant.

Bottom line, keep your eye on the prize, don't overdo until your body adjusts to much lower intake and enjoy the results.

Popsicles a great idea. I would imagine every persons experience is a bit different. I am at day 19, have lost 15 pounds so the nausea, vomiting are worth it! Its so trial and error. You will figure out over time what you can keep down and what you cant.

Bottom line, keep your eye on the prize, don't overdo until your body adjusts to much lower intake and enjoy the results.

Oh well I guess you can disregard my previous post since you answered it here. :-) Glad to hear it's going well - best wishes with the rest of your journey!