Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have had the balloon... any advice for someone getting it this week? things you wish you did/asked?

I'm curious if anyone has a specific medicine they wished they requested from their dr from the beginning. Do you wish you stocked up on any specific foods, gatorade, pillows, trash bins lol anything specific? Did your DR offer IV fluids if you can't get anything down for a few days?

I'm really trying to plan the best I can before getting this done :) Thank you for any help!

Hello! I had the balloon inserted on 3/22. It had not been an easy 3 weeks but I'm still surviving and down 13 pounds.

The one thing I wish I would have done is start a stool softener before or right at balloon insertion. Constipation is very common and I wasn't prepared. An over the counter pill is fine.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I hope you do well !

Edited by dedegold

Make sure you get all the prescriptions the dr. gives you filled. Use the anti-nausea medicine right away, as soon as the nausea starts. I did stock up on Propel (zero calories) and greek yogurt. eggs, and string cheese. I start my day with a Pure Protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk. I went on solid food about 36 hrs after the balloon was put in. Some people don't start solid foods for a week, But my dr. said to eat when I was ready. I also got chicken salad and tuna salad to eat but that was week 2.
Good luck !!

Oh, yes. Constipation can be a problem. I was told to put Benefiber in my shake or coffee. Do it !! It helps and you do need Fiber to be regular. I got a big container at costco, their brand.

I'm curious if anyone has a specific medicine they wished they requested from their dr from the beginning. Do you wish you stocked up on any specific foods, gatorade, pillows, trash bins lol anything specific? Did your DR offer IV fluids if you can't get anything down for a few days?

I'm really trying to plan the best I can before getting this done :) Thank you for any help!

Just curious, and please don't be offended, by why was the balloon recommended to you when you are only 208 lbs to start? It's usually used a short term procedure for the very morbidly obese before regular bariatric surgery.

Yes I had the balloon for 2 months. I had it removed. I lost a total of 16 pounds. I had complications with food digestion. I have a hiatial hernia that needs to be repaired. That is being done next month.

I had heartburn while the balloon was in that was uncontrollable. Even with the 40 mgs omeprazole every morning. The hernia was found when the balloon was put into place. He told me about it, of course. No refund coming as the agreement I signed stated no refunds.

. .

That is really too bad dedegold. I thought it was standard practice for the balloon to not be inserted if a hernia was found. My agreement required a refund of $6500 of the 8000 if hernia was found (essentially covering the cost of the endoscopy) and the balloon was not inserted. Bad practice on the part of your doc! So sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@michelleg46 - here are some things that I previously posted on the subject:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/349876-gastric-balloon-procedure-booked/page-6#entry4120318 (post #56)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/353935-orbera-success-strategies/page-13 (post #124)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/365226-orbera-or-reshape-balloon-why-did-you-pick-one-over-the-other/ (Since you started this one, I'm guessing that you already read my responses ... :-))

Be sure to get anti-nausea meds (even ask for the patch just before the procedure) and take them for the first couple of days, even if you feel OK ... it's best to stay ahead of it. Have pain meds in case you need them. It sounds like most people need PPIs until the balloon is removed. My doctor (and most others) seem to give anti-anxiety meds, too. I didn't need mine but apparently it's pretty common to need them until your body adjusts.

I didn't need IV fluids. I had Isopure Zero Carb RTD but could not stomach it at first. Water, ice, popsicles and Jello made up my diet for the first 2-3 days. Then I focused on getting Protein in, and made sure that I had Protein drinks on hand that I liked (as well as yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.). I also used a wedge pillow the first few days, and ordered barf bags from Amazon - lol! I did use a couple but, more importantly, just appreciated the peace of mind that they provided.

Hope that helps - please feel free to reach out with any other questions. :-)

Edited by Wayward Traveler

@@ophelia150 and @@dedegold - yes - my doc would not have inserted it if I had a significant hiatal hernia (I knew I had a mild one; he checked it first to make sure I was OK before inserting the balloon). If he did not complete the procedure, the fee would have been substantially reduced. But apparently everything looked fine, and I've been doing OK. Also, someone else had her balloon removed early after no weight loss (I don't recall her name); she apparently received a partial refund. @@dedegold - sorry your experience was problematic. :-(