Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Killian's Gastric Sleeve Journey

So Day 1 already small bump in the road. A good friend at work went out and bought me my usual bagel and coffee for Breakfast without even asking! Swell guy..means well..I took it, said thank you..and gonna ask around if anyone wants it before I toss it out.

The picture shows the free bagel on the right and the Protein shake in the cup on the left. Decisions decisions....

20160418 073655[1]

I gave the bagel away and drank the Protein Shake.

Edited by Killian

Called my NUT today...day 1 and I have questions already...she gave me her email address for any questions as it is tough for me to talk at work.

Edited by Killian

Good choice with sticking with the shake

~Jenn~

Surgery date 5/18/16

I am 2 weeks into my pre op diet. Doing well until last night...I had fish for dinner which is ok but had waay too much white rice followed by two apples and two Dannon Light and Fit yogurts. I was not even hungry. Need to get this "head hunger" under control.

On the train...the guy in front of me is eating pizza....arrrggh!

Had my 2nd Pre Op appointment. Had blood taken, stood in front of an x ray thing and swallowed sweet chalky Water. Was told I lost 21 pounds since just following the Nut. I have no problen loosing the weight it is keeping it off is the problem. I had to fight every urge not to stop at Taco Bell to "celebrate". Took everything I had to drive past. Even had my turn signal on and changed my mind at the last second.

I have lost 21 pounds and not many people noticed. Lol..that is ok. I have alot NSV's- pants fit better..I am on the last hole in the belt, wedding ring comes off easily now...

@@Killian You should be proud you didn't cave to your Taco Bell celebration! You're going to be a success!

@@KristenLe Thank you!! Taco bell is my arch nemisis.

@@Killian

Woohoo !!! How exciting :)

The journey has begun !

All the best,

Cheers,

from shrinking Margo ...... :D

Hey Killian,

How are you?

How have you been?

Have you had your op yet, or is it due later on this year?

Hope you have been well!

Cheers

Margo

@@OzRoo Doing well thanks for asking! I have not had my op yet and have postponed it until July 2017. Why you ask? Well, I retire in June from my job at the age of 42. I will still have full medical and wont have to take any time off or worry about answering questions. I can just have the surgery and recover at home without having to worry about work.

My surgeon is on board with that and as long as I see him once a month until the surgery, it wont be a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Killian

Awesome @@Killian !

Glad you are doing well, and that your surgery will be at a convenient time for you.

Must be great feeling to look forward to retirement next year :)

This will be so beneficial for your recovery!

So, best of luck for July 2017!

I've had a pretty smooth recovery. I am almost 8 months post op, unbelievable how quickly the time flew!

The only major issues I had were/are my thyroid disease, Graves.

Because I was losing lot of weight, I had to keep having dose adjustments, as I ended up hyper-thyroid few times. Not pleasant .....

Recently my Thyroxine has been halved, 6 weeks ago, and I was told today that my TSH and labs are normal.

Well, I have not been feeling well in the past 6 weeks, and had many hypo issues.

TSH at 3.4 seems too high for me, so this now will be the 4th adjustment, to bring it to 1.0

One day, hopefully it will get stabilised.

Good luck with your thyroid too, Killian.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,

Margo

Awesome @@Killian !

Glad you are doing well, and that your surgery will be at a convenient time for you.

Must be great feeling to look forward to retirement next year :)

This will be so beneficial for your recovery!

So, best of luck for July 2017!

I've had a pretty smooth recovery. I am almost 8 months post op, unbelievable how quickly the time flew!

The only major issues I had were/are my thyroid disease, Graves.

Because I was losing lot of weight, I had to keep having dose adjustments, as I ended up hyper-thyroid few times. Not pleasant .....

Recently my Thyroxine has been halved, 6 weeks ago, and I was told today that my TSH and labs are normal.

Well, I have not been feeling well in the past 6 weeks, and had many hypo issues.

TSH at 3.4 seems too high for me, so this now will be the 4th adjustment, to bring it to 1.0

One day, hopefully it will get stabilised.

Good luck with your thyroid too, Killian.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,

Margo

Oh yeah..forgot about my stupid Graves' disease. Ugh. Guess after the surgery will be seeing my Endo alot! Good problem to have I imagine.

How long after your surgery did you see your Endo?

Yes, stupid Graves ..... :angry:

I saw my Endo 3-4 weeks post op, then blood tests every 6 weeks, next Endo appointment was 3 months later.

Still have 6 weekly blood tests, and still see her every 3 months.

She also communicates with me via phone and email.

I finally sleep better, my blood pressure and heart rate has come down. Prior to that, I had to go back on beta blockers and sleeping tablets, as the hyper state kept me awake at nights for months!

As Thyroxine is so very weight sensitive, each significant drop in weight was bringing hyper thyroid back for me.

Now, even though I sleep much longer and much better, I am still tired, still have awful headaches and really bad allergies. All hypo symptoms.

So, this next med adjustment may finally do the trick ...... I hope so!

Got to keep an eye on the thyroid post op, that's for sure.

Yes, stupid Graves ..... :angry:

I saw my Endo 3-4 weeks post op, then blood tests every 6 weeks, next Endo appointment was 3 months later.

Still have 6 weekly blood tests, and still see her every 3 months.

She also communicates with me via phone and email.

I finally sleep better, my blood pressure and heart rate has come down. Prior to that, I had to go back on beta blockers and sleeping tablets, as the hyper state kept me awake at nights for months!

As Thyroxine is so very weight sensitive, each significant drop in weight was bringing hyper thyroid back for me.

Now, even though I sleep much longer and much better, I am still tired, still have awful headaches and really bad allergies. All hypo symptoms.

So, this next med adjustment may finally do the trick ...... I hope so!

Got to keep an eye on the thyroid post op, that's for sure.

Thanks for the heads up. If sleeping is going to be an issue for me, now I am even happier I waited to do the surgery after I retire. That way, if I have a terrible night's sleep, at least I dont have to go to work the next day. Also, can make appointments easier with the Endo not having to schedule around work. Made the right decision!

Hope you get your levels right soon and can go back to seeing the Endo once every 6 months!