Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burger commercials piss me off

Awesome comment crazygoose and some very good replies too. I think you will find as you get farther along with this is, is that the food will not appeal to you like before. I loved home made burgers on the grill with all the fixings and mayo and ketchup and fries and cold beer also, but not really. It doesn't taste the same and I could never even eat like that now, the pain would kill me. When we barbeque now, I still make me a big deluxe cheese burger but I cut a small section from it and eat it and throw the rest away. It's just not the same. I don't have any favorite food anymore. I don't even care for pizza now but I will still eat a small slice with the family because the kids love it. I'm over 2 years post op now. I still love food but in a different way. I think a healthy way.

I'm kinda the same. I do get excited about eating, but I seem to get full before I even get going.

I do love going to a restaurant and ordering a burger and fries. I eat about a third of the burger and 5-10 fries. Probably not as fulfilling as the old days for the first few minutes, but it's nice walking away from the table and knowing "I did no harm".

There was one time in the past 2 years that I started eating and I was so completely hungry and it tasted so freaking good and I was starting to lose myself, and in an instant my stomach gave me a huge wake up call, like a slap to the face. This sleeve is a real miracle worker.

@@crazygoose, No need to apologize for this rant…you are so right! There are the fatty burgers – and not just regular burgers, but burgers with extra trans and saturated fat and calories from things like bacon, cheese, and onion rings piled on – that skinny supermodels promote. There are the Coke commercials showing sexy skinny people. There are Snickers commercials promising energy for an active lifestyle. And on and on.

I love how they (the powers that be, I guess) discovered that people who cook the recipes shown on TV are much more likely to gain weight.

A few days ago at the gym where every machine has an individual monitor so people are all watching different shows while they work out, there was a moment that I found rather disgusting. Every single screen had food on it. It wasn’t vegetables, either. :) It was high-calorie food. At one moment, there were two cooking channels (I think it’s the Cooking Channel and Food Network) demonstrating recipes, and the other channels I saw were showing a commercial for a burger, a commercial for Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, a commercial for an all-you-can-eat buffet (and they weren’t showing the lettuce and grilled chicken breast, either), and a commercial for…Nutrisystem.

And I thought, “I wonder how I managed to only get 100 lbs. overweight.”

Anything for a little more on the bottom line. Teenage girl sees jawdropper eating a Thickburger -> runs out after school and buys it -> extra $6 for the franchise -> extra money for the corporation in licensing fees. Maybe one day a clever enough regulator or lawyer or somebody will find a way to require a "bad" image for every "good" image seen on TV. I was pleasantly surprised enough when NYC and Philadelphia began requiring calorie counts in the same font size as the price on the menu above the counter. The only better thing would've been calorie counts posted in font as big as the inflated image of the burger.

I remember the first 2 weeks after my surgery ... I quit watching TV

Because there were SO many food commercials on ... I never noticed it before ... probably because during the commercials I was so busy stuffing my face ... I didn't look up till the show was back on !

But now .... eh .. take it or leave it ...

food really does nothing for me now ... and coming from someone who LIVED to eat ... That is a huge thing ... Never ever thought I'd be "here" ...

Told my NUT the other day at my 9 month check up that I completely have changed my way of thinking and acting about/around food ... she was pleased ... but said I still needed to eat to LIVE .... and was proud I wasn't doing it the other way around anymore :)

Anything for a little more on the bottom line. Teenage girl sees jawdropper eating a Thickburger -> runs out after school and buys it -> extra $6 for the franchise -> extra money for the corporation in licensing fees. Maybe one day a clever enough regulator or lawyer or somebody will find a way to require a "bad" image for every "good" image seen on TV. I was pleasantly surprised enough when NYC and Philadelphia began requiring calorie counts in the same font size as the price on the menu above the counter. The only better thing would've been calorie counts posted in font as big as the inflated image of the burger.

I agree/disagree! I am SO glad that calorie counts and nutrition facts are being made more available and I love when they are posted right on the menu. As far as making them even more "in your face"? MMmmmm...I can't agree with that. People do need to take accountability for their choices. I know that personally, when I was a Fatty McFatster, no image or nutritional information signage would have kept me from ordering (and upsizing) whatever I wanted.

I still love food. Even more, I love how little I eat before stopping. Both outcomes can exist in a healthy person.