Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded for 8 years and getting sleeved tomorrow

I had my band for eight years with many problems along the way. Had a terrible slip six months in that required a second surgery. After that it was full/unfill for years to follow. I was either in pain every time I ate or could eat just about anything. I finally settled for not much fill so I wouldn't have pain but still threw up almost daily. Finally had to have it removed last May due to severe acid reflux. I had to wait until the new year to change insurance before getting sleeved. Finally was approved January 29th and set a surgery date of Feb 23rd but Doctor didn't like my EKG results at pre surgery physical so surgery was cancelled until seeing a Cardiologist. Went through that and received his approval and will finally be sleeved tomorrow. I'm anxious yet concerned at the same time. After all the issues with the band my wife is very much against the revision.

Before I got banded I felt like I had researched it thoroughly but really only looked for the benefits. After having all the problems I researched to see if anyone was having similar issues. I was shocked to see how many people had the same problems and regretted getting banded. So this time I researched all the problems with the sleeve and found very little issues. Nearly every person who revised wished they had gotten sleeved to begin with.

I'm feeling pretty good about this procedure but at the same time worried because there is no going back once done. A last word on encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

You won't regret this! After 8 years you will appreciate a normal life. This revision for me was all accidental, because my employer changed insurance company and the bariatric program was different. The new bariatric program required a barium swallow before they would accept me or not. To my surprise my esophagus was in real trouble and things happened really quickly. With all the complications I had with the band my wife was also against me going into another potential mess. We decided that I would get my band removed and continue my gym life and watch my diet. Once my band was unfilled I started gaining weight and quickly decided to get revision. Insurance approved, but, wife was still convinced that I was getting into another mess, but, supported me anyhow with reservation. I proceeded and am extremely pleased with the sleeved life style. My wife has also come around and tells me that I am very different without all the stuck, unstuck drama. We can go on dates and don't worry if the band will act up or not. We are both extremely pleased with the outcome. The recovery diet is tough, but, once you get through it, it's awesome! No regrets here whatsoever! jake

I revised in 2011 after 10 tough years banded. The sleeve has been wonderful for me - am maintaining 150#loss!!!

However, there are possible issues with the sleeve. I assume you know about the surgical risks, but what you may not realize is that a significant minority of sleevers develop reflux. Most can control it with meds, but some can't and need to revise to bypass. Also, you can regain after ANY WLS. Plenty of " vets" find we have to remain diligent as your hunger will return and old habits can slide back in.

I am so happy with my sleeve results - it saved my life and changed my whole world. I realize that not everyone experiences that and some have unrealistic expectations.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I was banded for 8 years also and then it failed. I had a good experience with the band until it failed. I have other medical issues with Barretts esophagus and too much stomach acid so insurance approval was pretty easy for me. I was sleeved 2 years ago. My weight is wonderful again. I'm 6 ft 2 in and weigh 210 lbs. I feel great. I love not having that port in my side anymore. The only thing that I don't like is food. I can only eat a very small amount and nothing really tastes good. I can taste it but I guess what I'm saying is that nothing really appeals to me. I used to love sitting with friends and eating and drinking alot. They are used to me not eating much at all and have stopped trying to get me to eat something. I think you will like the sleeve much more. I can tell you that with my complications , the surgery took 4 hours and the pain for me afterwards was incredible. For about a week I drank liquid morphine and stayed as drugged as possible. The pain eventually left and I survived it. Most people had a much easier time with the pain than I did. Once you get to the 6 month post op date you will be used to it and pretty happy. Take care.

Edited by 1959JimmyJames

You'll be fine. Hang in there. A prayer your way. jake

I had my band for eight years with many problems along the way. Had a terrible slip six months in that required a second surgery. After that it was full/unfill for years to follow. I was either in pain every time I ate or could eat just about anything. I finally settled for not much fill so I wouldn't have pain but still threw up almost daily. Finally had to have it removed last May due to severe acid reflux. I had to wait until the new year to change insurance before getting sleeved. Finally was approved January 29th and set a surgery date of Feb 23rd but Doctor didn't like my EKG results at pre surgery physical so surgery was cancelled until seeing a Cardiologist. Went through that and received his approval and will finally be sleeved tomorrow. I'm anxious yet concerned at the same time. After all the issues with the band my wife is very much against the revision.

Before I got banded I felt like I had researched it thoroughly but really only looked for the benefits. After having all the problems I researched to see if anyone was having similar issues. I was shocked to see how many people had the same problems and regretted getting banded. So this time I researched all the problems with the sleeve and found very little issues. Nearly every person who revised wished they had gotten sleeved to begin with.

I'm feeling pretty good about this procedure but at the same time worried because there is no going back once done. A last word on encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm curious as to what insurance you have that approved the revision? I have BCBS Fed and I'm terrified they will deny me. I have heard that the insurance companies come back saying that the removal/revision is not medically necessary. Altho I do not have a slipped band or a hiatal hernia at this time, I wish I did. Then perhaps my insurance will approve it. Ugh.

How are you doing now? You are almost a week out and I hope you are doing well. Let us know :)

I had Highmark Blue when I got banded. When I had it removed I had Geisinger Health Plan. They had a "Once in a lifetime" policy, would cover the removal of the band because it was medically necessary, but would not cover the sleeve afterwards. I then changed to Capital Blue the first of the year and they covered it. I still needed to qualify as if I hadn't had the band to begin with but my BMI was such that I did.

I'm doing well six days out. The night of the surgery was painful but they kept me well drugged. Each day has been much easier. Really no pain at this point, just sore at the incision point. I can feel pain/pressure behind the sternum if I take too big a swallow of Water or don't allow time between spoonfuls of Soup but it only lasts about 10 seconds.

I did have a little Buyers Remorse the first day but that has now passed and I'm looking forward to a better me now.

How are you doing now? Update please.

I had Highmark Blue when I got banded. When I had it removed I had Geisinger Health Plan. They had a "Once in a lifetime" policy, would cover the removal of the band because it was medically necessary, but would not cover the sleeve afterwards. I then changed to Capital Blue the first of the year and they covered it. I still needed to qualify as if I hadn't had the band to begin with but my BMI was such that I did.
I'm doing well six days out. The night of the surgery was painful but they kept me well drugged. Each day has been much easier. Really no pain at this point, just sore at the incision point. I can feel pain/pressure behind the sternum if I take too big a swallow of Water or don't allow time between spoonfuls of Soup but it only lasts about 10 seconds.
I did have a little Buyers Remorse the first day but that has now passed and I'm looking forward to a better me now.

I'm doing great, it's been two months now. I was a lower bmi to start, 36, so the loss has been slower than others but I'm ok with that. I'm down 36 lbs so far and still losing. I can't believe how different this is compared to the band, it's what I'd hoped the band would be like. Definately the best decision I ever made. I haven't had any problems so far. I do at times have trouble getting in as much Protein as I'm supposed to have. I don't know if I ever got this much protein before. I think the best part is the loss of hunger. I know it will come back eventually but for now it is great. I do have a craving every now and then, especially if I smell something I like, but just a couple bites and I'm satisfied.

Thanks for the update! Glad you're doing well.

I had my band removed recently and the plan is to have vsg August/September.

I'm nervous about having vsg. Can't imagine having a portion of my stomach removed.

But I'm morbidly obese and don't want to live this way anymore.

@@DGM no need to be nervous... the sleeve is soooooooo much easier than the band... no food getting stuck, no painful pressure when eating, its just like having a normal tummy.. except smaller... well thats what it is like for me compared to when i was banded ☺

@,

Thank you. Your comment is helpful. I guess I'm just nervous about the unknown. There are risks involved and will those risks affect me. I'm also concerned about how I will feel when I'm only able to take sips of Fluid rather than normal size drink. Does it make you feel anxious? It seems one is at a higher risk for dehydration. After a couple months, does drinking feel normal or are you always still very conscience of having to get that Water in? How often do you have to drink in order to be ok? Say I'm only able to take a couple sips every hour when I'm at work. Is it enough?

I read over and over again how most people wish they had done the surgery sooner. I wish I were already on the other side! :-)

@@DGM no need to be nervous... the sleeve is soooooooo much easier than the band... no food getting stuck, no painful pressure when eating, its just like having a normal tummy.. except smaller... well thats what it is like for me compared to when i was banded ☺

I had the same concerns before surgery. When I was banded I always knew I could end the pain/pressure caused by the band by having it removed. But once a large portion of my stomach was removed there was no going back. I have had no issues since the surgery, even with Water. The only time I had to sip the water was the first week post surgery due to the internal swelling. Since then drinking water has been the same as before surgery. Granted, I can't chug a 24 oz bottle of water but no issue with regular drinking or getting my required amounts down. I can't stress enough how happy I am now, wish I'd have done this years ago instead of dealing with constant issues with the band.