Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't I know how bad it's gotten?

So I'm currently on a business trip.....(first one in quite a long time). First, I was so nervous that the plane seat belt may not fit and I'd have to ask for an extension....but thankfully it fit, barely, but it fit. Both flights were completely full, I changed planes in Atlanta.... ...During both flights I kept thinking....dang! They keep putting the seats closer and closer together, and making them smaller and smaller!....I think that is true to some extent, but I've kept getting bigger also!!!.....both flights were absolutely miserable!

But worse than that, was getting to my next gate .....I checked my main bag, but I did have a lap top bag I carried on......OMG I thought I was going to die walking from one gate to the next carrying my lap top bag....then I had to sit and wait...3.5 hours for my next flight! Again very very uncomfortable......Dear lord I barely fit in the chairs!!!

To top this all off.....when I finally landed at my final destination....(Minneapolis MN)......All I can say, is this is either the biggest airport in the world......or I am just pitiful! By the time I got from my gate where my plane landed to the baggage claim area I literally had tears in my eyes! I really thought I was about to have a heart attack.....or at the very least pass out from exhaustion...now I'm sure it being after midnight had something to do with this............but the biggest contributor to all the issues I was having was my weight!!!

If I had any doubt whatsoever about having this surgery.....this experience has made it very clear that I've made the right decision to get this done! I honestly didn't know how out of shape I am.....I am dreading the returns flights!!!

Sorry this was so long but I wanted to write about this experience while it was fresh on my mind.......

I truly believe that flying is an ordeal for "normal"-sized people. It is torture for those of us who are larger than the average person. I am looking forward to being able to fly in relative comfort.

So I'm currently on a business trip.....(first one in quite a long time). First, I was so nervous that the plane seat belt may not fit and I'd have to ask for an extension....but thankfully it fit, barely, but it fit. Both flights were completely full, I changed planes in Atlanta.... ...During both flights I kept thinking....dang! They keep putting the seats closer and closer together, and making them smaller and smaller!....I think that is true to some extent, but I've kept getting bigger also!!!.....both flights were absolutely miserable!

But worse than that, was getting to my next gate .....I checked my main bag, but I did have a lap top bag I carried on......OMG I thought I was going to die walking from one gate to the next carrying my lap top bag....then I had to sit and wait...3.5 hours for my next flight! Again very very uncomfortable......Dear lord I barely fit in the chairs!!!

To top this all off.....when I finally landed at my final destination....(Minneapolis MN)......All I can say, is this is either the biggest airport in the world......or I am just pitiful! By the time I got from my gate where my plane landed to the baggage claim area I literally had tears in my eyes! I really thought I was about to have a heart attack.....or at the very least pass out from exhaustion...now I'm sure it being after midnight had something to do with this............but the biggest contributor to all the issues I was having was my weight!!!

If I had any doubt whatsoever about having this surgery.....this experience has made it very clear that I've made the right decision to get this done! I honestly didn't know how out of shape I am.....I am dreading the returns flights!!!

Sorry this was so long but I wanted to write about this experience while it was fresh on my mind.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

I hear you! I just had to travel for business in March and I had to ask for an extension.. I have gotten use to it so when I first walk on the plane I just ask for one.. Yes it's a awful feeling. But the best think about it and that we have decided to do something about it.. My surgery is in 2 days and I'm super excited about my new life....

Sent from my LG-D850 using the BariatricPal App

@@Monie45 Good luck! I don't have a date for mine yet.....so far they just say "some time in May"..... I have to finish this trip and go home Friday......and then I'll be doing another one the week of 4/25.....and that'll be it for quite a while. I wish you the best for your surgery.....I guess now, it's tomorrow!!! wow!

Take Care,

Kathy

I'm facing the same thing in a couple weeks - taking my kids on vacation. It's been a while since I flew, about 10 years. I was around this size last time I flew, but never flown this airline and the seats looks small :D. I'm more concerned about embarrassing my kids by having to ask for an extension or something. The stress I faced while planning this trip is actually what prompted me to finally start the surgery process after years of researching it. I don't want to focus on not fitting in the plane seats or running out of breath just walking around next time I plan a vacation. I have better things to think about!!

So I totally get what you're saying :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using the BariatricPal App

Don't tell anyone but when I used to travel alot for work... I "borrowed" an extender and take it with me every time I fly. ;-). The anxiety of asking for one every time was awful (and humiliating depending on who was near you). I hope the next time I fly I won't need it.

Bookmark this post so you can look back on it a year from now. It will seem like it was a lifetime ago.

You're going to be so thankful for this surgery!

@KristenLe.....wow! I think that's a great idea! Hopefully I'll never need one but I know now that if I ever did I would only ever have to ask for one ONCE...hahaha :D

@@Babbs Great idea. I will do that. That was really the main reason I wrote the post in the first place. I don't want to ever forget how terrible this experience has been.

@KristenLe.....wow! I think that's a great idea! Hopefully I'll never need one but I know now that if I ever did I would only ever have to ask for one ONCE...hahaha :D

I wouldn't. Then the next person who needs one may not have one available.

I have never been embarrassed when I asked for one. They either slipped it to me right there (when you first pass the galley on the plane), or they'll bring it to my seat and slip it to me, very casually and surreptitiously.

You can also buy them on Amazon or eBay if you prefer to play it straight...

@@kmorri I completely agree. This sneaks up on you and it's easy to avoid the truth. My moment of truth was when I had this great job interview and realized none of my nice suits fit. Nor did any in the stores! I drove 50 miles to pick up a jacket that a kind salesperson found that barely fit--and there was no time for alterations. Needless to say I looked awful and it totally undermined my confidence and that showed during the interview. No dream job for me!

So I'm making changes so I can project the image I need to in order to move forward in my career--but mostly I just want my health back.

Good luck on your journey. It will be hard at times--but not as bad as your recent trip!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hang in there, you'll be so happy when you fly 6 months or so from now and can sit comfortably in your seat even with your legs crossed. [emoji4]

So true about flying or going out and doing anything. I think the world shames overweight people so much, and I confess I have done the same in my mind, it's a whole culture that shames us which does nothing but make us feel worse about ourselves and in my case, eat even more. Looking forward to the new me starting in June and I pledge not to be judge mental

Edited by Tommy Joe

Last New Years, I flew out from Philly to Indianapolis to visit my parents. My dad's younger sister had died two months prior due to complications of diabetes. I was at my heaviest, was depressed, and having back and other health problems. My mom brought up the idea of WLS to me while I was there, and I reacted poorly and defensively. My flight back to Philly was on a slightly smaller plane than the one I flew in on, and I couldn't lower my tray table because of my stomach, and I spent the flight home trying to keep my fat from spilling over into my neighbor's seat and thinking about what my mom had said. I started researching WLS the moment I got home.