Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre- Op Insurance Approval Question

Does anyone have BCBS Anthem how long does it take for approval? My paperwork was submitted today.

Following.. I also have BCBS. This Wednesday is my last 6 mo required doctor visit and then they will submit to insurance for approval. I will be so upset if it takes forever or I get denied.

Mine took a few weeks but only because all the paper work was not submitted maybe 3 weeks or 4 but I called everyday just about! The insurance company told me that they have to tell you it takes 30 days to get a answer but it shouldn't she said. Good luck

I have anthem and am wondering the same my self ill submit in a few months so I want to know how long it will take as I'm impatient

So I just spoke with the Rep from Anthem and The Drs Office hasn't sent in my paperwork yet Ughhhhh. Also she mentioned that it only takes up to 5 days for approval once they recieve all the required Clinicals. I'm going to give Medstar until Thursday before I become annoying Nanny lol. I really need to know because of my job Smh! This process is so worrisome >_<

I also have Anthem BCBS. My Dr office submitted but they insurance rep didn't like that she had to actually read the Drs notes etc. It was denied when I called (Anthem) they said it was not yet submitted..... But I got the letter in the mail the same day. Grrr. The Dr office resubmitted & called Anthem. They put it through within a day.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

I have Anthem and while I haven't yet asked for WLS approval, with other things it can be highly variable. It took them nearly 2 months to approve me to get a sleep study. A couple weeks later it took them a couple days to approve a sleep study for my husband. Maddening.

I made sure they covered the wls before I even started. Some policies specifically exclude it! Grr. I think I was lucky, there were no issues. I'm 4 days post op.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Wow that's awesome. Hoping to hear something soon.

Ugh sorry. What reason did they give?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was denied today for revision. :(

I am so sorry. My revision surgery was scheduled for yesterday, but insurance denied me too. I had my surgeon do a peer-to-peer phone call, and now insurance is reconsidering the decision (no answer yet). I had to request the peer-to-peer, it was not something my surgeon's office automatically offered. Just an idea if you are looking for a next step.

I was denied because my psych evaluation was not ideal. I knew from the beginning of my visit with this shirk, this wasn't going to go well. She didn't say I should not have the surgery, but it is up to the doctor and patient. Secondly, I paid to have gastric sleeve in 2013, and they felt I didn't stick with it. I lost 70lbs, but that's where it stopped. I don't know what these people want.

I'm filing an appeal ASAP. Obesity help.org has a form to use. Second, I have a new psychological scheduled for tomorrow.

I asked my doctor about the peer to peer and they said in their experience it's a waste of time. I wish they would at least try.

I found out tonight on my insurance's website that my peer-to-peer resulted in another denial, so maybe they are a waste of time. I don't know. I have contacted Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy group to handle my appeals process. Good luck with your appeal!