Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going to scream....

If another person tells me I don't need to lose anymore weight... How can I still be almost 300 pounds and NOT look like I need to lose more weight?????????????? People and their perceptions.

"How much more weight are you going to lose???"

"You're going to disappear" (FAT chance of that happening)

"I don't think you need to lose anymore weight. You look great!"

Thanks for your concern. It's nice and all, but I'm not done.

RANT OVER....

Hey at least they are noticing! I've lost 26lbs and only my husband kids and one sister has said they see the difference. Lol enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just say-" Bless you" and change the subject. People that do not have a weight problem do not know what to say. Expect that, and you will not get frustrated. Best of luck to you

@@madeline121 If you think that's bad, no one (except my immediate family) said ANYTHING to me until I lost 100!!!!

Edited by her1981

@@her1981 it took almost 50lbs before someone said anything to me. I thought maybe they noticed but we're afraid to say something but one of them followed up with the "wow you've lost a lot of weight" with "you better stop". Um no..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know exactly how you feel. It happened to me within the first 75lb loss.

Then you try to educate them and finally you just say something like: I am working closely with my physician and a nutritionist, you are just not used to seeing me at a lower weight. My body will decide when I have lost what I need to but rest assured I meet regularly with the experts.

Now that I am at a ideal BMI for my height and age I am still losing very slowly but people that haven't seen me are really truly shocked. Many do not recognize me at all until either they see my husband or I tell them it's me. Then of course come all the questions and people literally staring at your face trying to see the old me.

You just have to keep in mind they have no concept of the thinner you and depending on how much you have to lose, it can be very shocking.

People that I have just met in the last year (we moved states last spring), they have no idea I was ever 310lbs. Last week I shared a fat picture with my current physical therapist and I swear her jaw literally hit the floor. She said you don't even look the same! Your facial features have changed so much!

I think sometimes it's people fearing that if you continue losing you will weigh less then them.

@@dhrguru I thought about that. How ridiculous! Especially after being over 300 pounds for my ENTIRE adult life!

Edited by her1981

Just had the same problem two days ago. My coworker told me I only need to lose a little more weight in my stomach. That would be fine if "a little more weight" is over 100 lbs! She told me if I lost over 100 lbs, I would not look good. I told her me losing the weight was about not having to deal with diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea any longer. It's funny how you can have comments like this but at the same time people discriminate against you and treat you different becasue you are obese.

Yeah, people are stupid. I weigh exactly the same now as I did in October 2014. I STILL have people coming up to me telling me to "stop losing weight" and "You're so skinny, when are you going to stop?". I wear a size 6 for shits sake I'm not THAT skinny and I haven't changed in over a year and a half. Get a clue people!

BTW, @@her1981 congrats on your amazing progress.

I had a girl who weighs 130lbs tell me that my face looks great but "don't lose too much" I'm started at 256 I'm 229 as of today. Surgery date 3/16/16. I jokingly said "but isn't that the point?"

It's just a weird way of paying you a complement. Say thanks and move on.

One thing about this massive weight loss experience - I learned to have a thick skin. A couple of family members staged an intervention...they thought I was becoming way too thin. I am 5'5", robust build, but 140s/150s is NOT too thin. I knew they were genuinely concerned so I decided to respect their concerns, told them my weight and said that doctors, blood work etc all say I am healthy. They were like.."wow...we thought you were more like 125# and still losing." We talked it out and the problem went away - they love me and were scared my eating issues had gone the other way. I carry weight well, and I did get thinner than I prefer but far from anorexic.

The beautiful thing is that when you get a few years out...nobody remembers the "bigger you" and the trimer new becomes your new normal. So maybe you don't have a good enough relationship to talk it through...so smile and nod....in a year they won't remember..ha!

One thing about this massive weight loss experience - I learned to have a thick skin. A couple of family members staged an intervention...they thought I was becoming way too thin. I am 5'5", robust build, but 140s/150s is NOT too thin. I knew they were genuinely concerned so I decided to respect their concerns, told them my weight and said that doctors, blood work etc all say I am healthy. They were like.."wow...we thought you were more like 125# and still losing." We talked it out and the problem went away - they love me and were scared my eating issues had gone the other way. I carry weight well, and I did get thinner than I prefer but far from anorexic.

The beautiful thing is that when you get a few years out...nobody remembers the "bigger you" and the trimer new becomes your new normal. So maybe you don't have a good enough relationship to talk it through...so smile and nod....in a year they won't remember..ha!

The beautiful thing is that when you get a few years out...nobody remembers the "bigger you" and the trimmer new becomes your new normal. So maybe you don't have a good enough relationship to talk it through...so smile and nod....in a year they won't remember..ha!

The beautiful thing is that when you get a few years out...nobody remembers the "bigger you" and the trimmer new you becomes your new normal. So maybe you don't have a good enough relationship to talk it through...so smile and nod....in a year they won't remember..ha!