Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein Diet vs. Counting Calories?

I really, really, really hate counting calories! I've tried it before and it's just not for me. I don't like documenting what I eat or using My Fitness Pal because it gets to overwhelming and stressful at times. The one diet that worked for me in the past was a high Protein diet (kinda like the Atkins) and very low carbs. NO CALORIE COUNTING! I got sleeved 11 days ago and I'm trying to plan accordingly for when I'm ready to eat solids.

My question is... Has anyone tried something different, other than calorie counting and writing everything you eat, that works? I'm also planning to work out 5 days a week once I heal 100%.

I don't like counting calories, either. I'm not overfond of logging my intake, but what I learned preop is that it's a necessity for me. I found that when I was preoccupied, or busy, or tired, I wasn't eating enough.

Now that I'm postop, my surgeon has given me Protein, Fluid, and calorie goals to meet. I'm only just barely meeting the calorie goal. If I weren't tracking, I wouldn't have any way of knowing how close I was getting to those targets.

I like high Protein low carb, life style, i hate calorie counting!!! i have to date lost 126 pounds. Twelve pounds to go

Sent from my SCH-I535 using the BariatricPal App

I don't count calories daily...

Not really anyway...

I do it once a week...

I load a day's worth of data into MFP, check all the appropriate info, then eat the same each day for five days (M-F)..

The reality of my 'diet' may vary by 100cal or so a day on occasion but the system works for me...

The idea of logging every day does my head in...

Of course, it can be tricky if there's a morning tea on at work or something...

But everyone there situation so it's rarely a problem...

My thought is that you've gotta do what works for you...

But do so in conjunction with your doctor...

I don't count calories daily...

Not really anyway...

I do it once a week...

I load a day's worth of data into MFP, check all the appropriate info, then eat the same each day for five days (M-F)..

The reality of my 'diet' may vary by 100cal or so a day on occasion but the system works for me...

The idea of logging every day does my head in...

Of course, it can be tricky if there's a morning tea on at work or something...

But everyone there situation so it's rarely a problem...

My thought is that you've gotta do what works for you...

But do so in conjunction with your doctor...

My doctor and the majority of the doctors that I've talked to are calorie focus. Which is fine and I understand that is what works for most of their patients. For me, calorie counting and writing everything I eat is a nightmare! It stresses me out so I was curious to see if anyone had a different diet focus that worked for them and gave them the same results or better results. A high Protein diet (Atkins) worked for me in the past, but I wasn't sure if anyone one had tried his approach after having the sleeve done.

I'm not a fan of sugar-free products either. I like to eat real foods with no chemicals or ingredients that I can't pronounce I'm opting for an organic, free range, grass fed meats and stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

I'm with you. I hate counting calories. I count carbs. I'll be 7 years out soon.

I've gained back 10 lbs since my 3 back surgeries but recently got the go ahead to work out and diet.

I'm with you. I hate counting calories. I count carbs. I'll be 7 years out soon.

I've gained back 10 lbs since my 3 back surgeries but recently got the go ahead to work out and diet.

If you don't mind me asking, how much weight have you lost with counting carbs and how much carbs do you eat a day?

I lost 107 lbs. During the losing phase, I kept my carbs as low as possible, under 30 sometimes way less. I was on Clear liquids for 3 weeks and full liquids for 4 weeks so I lost a lot on the post op diet.

In maintenance I kept them under 60.

I lost 107 lbs. During the losing phase, I kept my carbs as low as possible, under 30 sometimes way less. I was on Clear Liquids for 3 weeks and full liquids for 4 weeks so I lost a lot on the post op diet.

In maintenance I kept them under 60.

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing

Whether you count calories or not, they do matter.

But I guess you know that.

My doctor and nutritionist wouldn't give calorie goals at all. They said not to get consumed but them but to make healthy choices and be sure to get around 80g of Protein daily. I use MFP to log, force of habit at this point....but concentrate mainly on the protein goals and keeping the carbs on the lower end. It makes it less stressful!

I don't think you really need to count calories every day, but, I think it's a good idea, maybe one week a month, to count calories over 3-4 days to get an idea of what you are doing, and to keep up with any gradual shifts that could be occurring in your diet. To me it's not the only figure you need to care about, but since this is primarily about weight loss, if I had to pick only one this is it...

Edited by Barry W

I really, really, really hate counting calories! I've tried it before and it's just not for me. I don't like documenting what I eat or using My Fitness Pal because it gets to overwhelming and stressful at times. The one diet that worked for me in the past was a high Protein diet (kinda like the Atkins) and very low carbs. NO CALORIE COUNTING! I got sleeved 11 days ago and I'm trying to plan accordingly for when I'm ready to eat solids.

My question is... Has anyone tried something different, other than calorie counting and writing everything you eat, that works? I'm also planning to work out 5 days a week once I heal 100%.

I have NEVER measured food or counted calories since having WLS. I've never even seen a food tracking app like MFP. I felt the same way as you. If I wanted to do all that tracking I would have saved my money and just stayed on weight watchers or some other fad diet.

The only numbers I ever bothered with was getting 60-80g of Protein and at least 64oz of Water. I can keep a running tally of those in my head. I've basically just been a mindful eater. Protein and veggies first. Moderate fruit and whole grains. "white carbs" in low, infrequent doses, and only after I reached goal. I read labels to help make good choices. I don't count carbs and calories but I am aware of them.

I counted calories for a couple days when I was 3 months, 6 months and a year out just out of curiosity. But since passing goal and maintaining for over a year and a half I haven't bothered. I've never had a single clue what my carb or fat intake has been.

So yes, it is possible to do it without all the tracking.

I too have found that a high Protein, low carb diet works best for me. However I also found that I absolutely need to log and track my food intake. First, it helps me achieve my Protein goal (90+ grams per day). But more importantly drives accountability as it forces me to confront everything that I consume with the filter of "do I really want to eat this and have to log it". I can't tell you how many times I thought about eating something I shouldn't and that simple question stopped me.

Each of us have our own drivers and needs. For me, the practice of food logging and calorie tracking helps drive personal accountability and I would not be successful in this journey without it. I believe when I reach my goal weight I will be able to loosen up a bit, but always know that if I slip that going back to a high protein, low carb diet with tracking will get me back on track.