Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone ever thought:"I can do this on my own, I don't need the sugery"

Let me be a bit clearer about my opinion on this topic:

When I finally chose WLS, I was done with the "one more courageous attempt at conquering my obesity via a diet / exercise plan." That's why at age 68 I finally admitted to myself it really wasn't ever going to happen that way. And why I finally found the courage to try the "drastic" solution -- weight loss surgery.

The reason I suggested you try a six-month diet/exercise program is that no one should go into WLS imagining that it's the easy way out and that they could actually have achieved good health and a normal weight by one more time doing it "the hard way."

I think you have to be committed to the WLS path and convinced it's the last chance you have to conquer your obesity.

As you probably have read here over and over again, it takes a lot of commitment to succeed with WLS long-term. Ultimately, you have to do what the the diet/exercise program would have taken you to the point of having to do to maintain a weight loss: Permanently change your lifestyle.

There are many similarities between what WLS patients do and those who are able to succeed via diet/exercise do. But WLS gives many patients the edge they need and can't succeed without (depending on the specific WLS they choose) -- to feel less hungry, to feel full faster, to metabolize food differently, to cure some deadly diseases, e.g., diabetes, hypertension, etc.

However, WLS alone doesn't solve obesity for anyone. You have to change what you're eating. You have to change how much you're eating. You have to change when you're eating. You have to change how much Water you drink, how much and how you exercise, which supplements you take and how consistently you take them. And more.

Some of us have to commit to long-term psychological counseling, support groups or twelve-step programs.

Some of us have to change significant relationships with our families of origin, spouses and significant others, friends, employers, jobs, etc.

And all of us have to confront the fact that we are for **** at self-care and putting ourselves first, before all others. Without a serious come-to-Jesus conversion on those two fronts, I don't know that any of us can succeed long-term. But that's the topic of a long, long conversation.

In any event, the above ^^^ are my own core values about and my experience with weight loss surgery. I'm 20 months post-op. I've lost 100 pounds and maintained my weight loss at or below goal for a year now. I have NEVER EVER done that before in my 70 years. And I've fought obesity since I was seven years old.

This is the first time I have a fighting chance to remain slim and healthy. I think weight loss surgery is a freakin' miracle!

Between the ages of 40 and 50, after decades of yo-yo dieting, I went from "healthy" fat to disabled.

If you are not ready, by all means wait until you are sure. But, based on my experience I wish I was more willing to consider surgery a de side ago. Fortunately, improvements in the surgery options were one benefit of me waiting until I was ready.

I don't think the idea of dieting should be quickly discounted, some people do succeed. But for people that are 100+ pounds overweight, the percentage of people who succeed is small, I have read. I do know that in my own experience, I am very knowledgeable about nutrition, and I tried multiple times and was successful for awhile, but each time I later fell back into bad habits in time (usually due to stress, being a stress eater), and overall, I was getting heavier, not lighter. Now at 56, with my 60s looming ahead, I felt like I couldn't afford to fail any more and had to acknowledge that I wasn't getting it done on my own. I needed to step things up to succeed, and I *needed* to succeed.

well, I read a lot and know that almost everyone puts weight back on - but for me the weight was cosmetic so I just kept trying. never really lost more than 25 lbs.

when I developed diabetes I viewed the obesity as a medical issue that could have serious consequences down the road. so, went within a month to the surgery consult and although I hit some roadblocks, I never looked back. I feel like this surgery has saved my life.

Last year, instead of going to the WLS seminar I thought "I don't want anything that drastic..I can do this without surgery"! Well I was as wrong - I'm heavier and heading towards 300lbs. I have hypertension, hypothyroidism, PCOS, Mild sleep apnea, interstitial cystitis, joint pain, degenerative disc disease, aches and pains all the time (back, hip, ankles). I can not do this myself and I don't want to be dead or riding around in a hoveround (?sp) when I'm 50 (48 now!). I figure at the rate I'm going I'll be diabetic before long! In addition to my health issues - I can't stand the sight of myself. My weight is impacting my social life.

WLS isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't an easy decision but it's a decision I wish I made 10 or more years ago! :-)

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by KristenLe

I think most of us have thought this - over, and over, and over again. There comes a point where you look inside yourself and confront that indeed, you can't . At least, I did.

I wore a pair of jeans today that I hadn't been able to wear for about eight years. They've barely gotten any wear. I lost some weight back then, enough that I needed new jeans. It all came back (with interest) fast enough that these look like new jeans. I know I'm not alone having had experiences like this.

I've been overweight my whole adult life. I tried every stupid fad diet (cabbage Soup sucks), supplements, exercise regiment, etc. One day my husband told me about the wife of a friend of his that had the lapland and showed me a picture. I had thought about WLS a few times previous, but this time was different.

I did some superficial research and decided that I had to do something and do something now. I had checked out of my life. I really didn't care about much any more. I was becoming more and more disconnected from my family and friends. I was miserable.

When I went into this, I hoped my only regret was that I didn't do this sooner (I was 43 when I had surgery). I can say, that is my only regret. It's hard and it's emotional, but looking back at the last 2.5 years, I am amazed - I found out I am stronger emotionally and physically that I knew. I reconnected with friends and I have a better and stronger relationship with my husband and son. I'm more outgoing. I love to exercise. I love to do hot yoga. I go hiking. I have energy to get me thru the day.

I think of the surgery as more of tool to maintain the lost weight over time. How many of us here have lost a tom of pounds to only gain it back? Mixed with the emotional aspect of eating that many of us have and do deal with, this tool can be a God send.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Yep, right up to 267 lbs. That covers both questions.

When I looked back at 20 years of effort and constantly dieting. Fighting the same 50-75 pounds every few years was too much and I could see it would not get better as I age. I want to do something know and enjoy healthy eating without killing myself.

I've done just about everything and even like working out, but could never get past 180...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for your response. I am very much afraid of "buyers remorse". I am 42 now and wonder if at age 50 I will be thinking I should've just had more self control...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

My mother asked her doctor his opinion... Mind you he isn't mine but I've talked and met with him a few times for my mom... He said at 40, I'm perfect to get it done so that it will change my quality of life and still have the skin elasticity to not be so worried about the skin. That was what my mom needed to hear.

I'm in a support group with a number of people who are 55+ and recently had VSG or bypass and they regret not having it years earlier.

Take care of now so that later will be more enjoyable...

I have the same thoughts that go through my head too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I dieted, lost weight, sometimes up to 72 pounds, and then regained it and then some within 5 years...managed to keep it off for 3.5 years, so thought I was one of the lucky 5%. Turned out I wasn't. Then couldn't lose more than 10-15 pounds on any diet since, and for the past ~5 years or so, have been putting on 10-12 pounds a year. At this rate, I will be 300 pounds by my late 40s...my mother got that high, and she is completely bedbound from inoperable arthritis. I have to do everything for her - bring her food, bathe her, give her a bedpan.

Basically, seeing how I could never keep weight off coupled with what excess weight has done to my mother (immobilization) made me realize I had a limited time left, relatively speaking, during which I can be mobile. Realized I needed to do something that has more than a 5% success rate. So here I am preparing for the sleeve.

Edited by katanne

I wonder that just about every day. I am almost done the preop process, just one nutrition appointment away, this Tuesday. And I am still not 100% sure. About 10 years ago I lost 160 lbs on weight watchers. I kept it off a couple of years and then it crept back, well at least 100 lbs did. I know I could probably lose weight. Not too sure on keeping it off. And it scares me to death going through a surgery if all that happens is I gain back. I hear conflicting reports of people a few years out from surgery. Are you able to eat as much as prior to surgery when you are 2,3,4 or more years out? That is what scares me. Not the surgery itself. But going through all of this and going right back.

I thought that too during pre op.. then I read on here of someone who changed their mind after doing so well on their pre op. as soon as they made their decision, they drove straight to TGI Fridays... I knew that I also would be doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I lost large amounts of weight numerous times over the past 20 years, usually I would get down to a BMI of around 30-35.

I would lose for six months, maintain that weight for less than a day, gain it all back (plus a few extra pounds) over three months, maintain that high weight for a year or two, get fed up, start losing again.

When I started this roundabout I was 160lbs, in the end I was 256.

Last time, I didn't get fed up, I gave up. I felt beaten. I knew there was no point losing again as I would end up heavier, but I also knew I couldn't live with a BMI of 50.

If I am being honest with myself, I can loose the weight but I dont think I can keep it off.

Ay, there's the rub. Comparing them side by side, losing weight is [far] easier than maintaining the weight loss for the long term. Surgery makes maintenance easier, certainly, but only if the individual follows the 'rules' that apply. It's imperative that you know that it's possible to regain even with surgery if one begins to eat all the wrong things. Weight-loss for life means some work. People do succeed when they are determined and fully aware and appreciative of how much better off they are in all ways.