Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to add to the convo, my surgeon has not done a band in over two years because of the possible complications.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

CrissyCakes, Just shy of 10 years with my band....I lost 132 pounds and then my band slipped. No reason....just slipped and then I developed this left shoulder pain, intermittent at first and then constant. I would like to tell you I am a nurse. Please realize all medical devices have a life of 10 - 20 years. More like about 12....

My original surgeon said that people go along with no problems and then....BOOM....band slips, no reason, they just slip! (He was one of the first trained and doing them here on the West Coast.) They aren't even really doing them anymore. Please listen to us that have gone before you. My band was very little effort I hit my sweet spot on my 1st post op visit and you can count on one hand how many fills I had, and only 1 unfil EVER in 10 years.....

SO BACK TO THE PAIN IN MY SHOULDER(like GAS pains).....My lap band to sleeve turned into a 5 1/2 hour procedure with my precious LAP-BAND adhered to my spleen and liver and my spleen tore while removing my LAP-BAND and LUCKILY there was no permanent damage. I am now 5 weeks post op and my pain in my shoulder is gone(YAY!) it got better everyday until it was gone.

TRUST ME 10 years ago I was sitting where you are...Thinking that will NEVER happen to me, I don't want my guts rearranged, etc, etc.

ANOTHER thing you need to consider, is NO ONE but GOD himself can tell you how your body will respond to the the foreign body the LAP-Band being introduced into your body! I LOVED my BAND and was a PRO BANDER until March 1st, 2016 at 3:32 in the afternoon. Please don't do that to yourself. Pick the Sleeve or RouxNY!

My port doesn't hurt and my shoulder doesn't hurt. Even though my body is still healing. I didn't realize how much pain I was dealing with on a daily basis from my port and my band. Don't choose the band!.

What is wild is the GUILT i had about revising my ELECTIVE BARIATRIC surgery! I am so glad I stuck with my surgery date....who knows when my band would have torn from my spleen, or liver and I would have probably bled to death... GLAD I REVISED.

Oh yeah I had bad GERD! Almost none since my Sleeve.

First off...WOW how utterly scary to have gone through that. Glad it all worked out. Based on the reviews of those that have had it, seems all have had to do revision. My friends all have done sleeve and one bypass. She says skip the band and sleeve and do bypass. I'm just afraid that I'm not big enough for bypass. I'm 5'3 and I'm a little over 100 pounds from what is normal. So I'm thinking sleeve will be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Hello,

It is ultimately up to YOU.. Weigh your pro's and con's.. What i can tell you from experience is the Band was a nightmare when it wanted. It was like it had a mind of its's own .. So much so i called it Willy.. Willy was good for about 3 years and then i started the acid reflux and taking omerprazole and filling and unfilling and filling and unfilling. i still tried to work with it sometimes taking a break and unfilling it completely and start again after a couple of months. All wls is work but dammit Willy had me dong overtime. so ten years later i decided thats it im getting sleeve. i just got my band removed on Tuesday i was supposed to get the sleeve at the same time but when doc went in my band had slipped leaving my stomach swollen and bruised and to close to esophogus so he just removed the band and want to let my stomach heal for a much better outcome. so im scheduled for May 24th... cant wait. like i said it was my experience and your decision is ultimately yours..

good luck

NY NY.

Almost all of the stories are like yours. I don't want these problems at all. Sleeve is sounding more and more appealing. Where in NY did you do yours? I'm doing it Langone

Just wanted to add to the convo, my surgeon has not done a band in over two years because of the possible complications.

Then mines must know something that so many others don't know...lol I'm running in the opposite direction. Sleeve all the way.

Then mines must know something that so many others don't know...lol I'm running in the opposite direction. Sleeve all the way.

I have been banded for 10 long years. Hoping to get a revision to the sleeve. Crissy, do NOT get the band!!! I. HATE. IT! I have gone through so much crap with the band and it has been horrible. Don't do it!!! My surgeon doesn't even do them anymore, so what does that tell you? I will be devastated if my ins doesn't approve me for the sleeve.

Edited by SusanB55

I have been banded for 10 long years. Hoping to get a revision to the sleeve. Crissy, do NOT get the band!!! I. HATE. IT! I have gone through so much crap with the band and it has been horrible. Don't do it!!! My surgeon doesn't even do them anymore, so what does that tell you? I will be devastated if my ins doesn't approve me for the sleeve.
That is crazy!!! I'm so dumbfounded as to why he is still sort of pushing it. I hope they do approve it. That is also another reason why I don't want to do the band...insurance issues if it has to be removed. They already give a hassle to even get approved.

I had the band in 2009 and have regretted it ever since. The problems a lot of us have faced is severe reflux, vomiting and erosion. After awhile the band begins to erode into your stomach (meaning it wears in). I am waiting approval of a revision as we speak. Most Drs say it's a waste of time. ANYTHING HAS GOT TO BE BETTER THAN THE BAND. I am getting a bypass

Edited by kaoson2

I had the band for 10 years same as above reflux heart burning slippage erosion ect just got it removed last tues. sleeve May 24th..

I'm so glad I got my revision! I love my new stomach! She's doing great by me but she doesn't like ice cream or anything too sweet!

...She's doing great by me but she doesn't like ice cream or anything too sweet!

I wish. My stomach needs to have a talk to your stomach.

I know 5 people with the band and every last one of them are still obese - the issue with the band in my mind at least was

the constant upkeep and refilling of it.

I have a sleeve and mild reflux prior to surgery. I love my sleeve but understand it is not for everyone. Banders have many complications (just read the posts on the topic) including reflux. If he won't do sleeve for valid medical reasons I would ask about RNY. I would never ever get the band with the statistics available today. I would have certainly considered. RNY.

Hello,

It is ultimately up to YOU.. Weigh your pro's and con's.. What i can tell you from experience is the Band was a nightmare when it wanted. It was like it had a mind of its's own .. So much so i called it Willy.. Willy was good for about 3 years and then i started the acid reflux and taking omerprazole and filling and unfilling and filling and unfilling. i still tried to work with it sometimes taking a break and unfilling it completely and start again after a couple of months. All wls is work but dammit Willy had me dong overtime. so ten years later i decided thats it im getting sleeve. i just got my band removed on Tuesday i was supposed to get the sleeve at the same time but when doc went in my band had slipped leaving my stomach swollen and bruised and to close to esophogus so he just removed the band and want to let my stomach heal for a much better outcome. so im scheduled for May 24th... cant wait. like i said it was my experience and your decision is ultimately yours..

good luck

NY NY.

Almost all of the stories are like yours. I don't want these problems at all. Sleeve is sounding more and more appealing. Where in NY did you do yours? I'm doing it Langone

Hi

I live in Rockland County, NY but my surgeon and hospital is in Hackensack NJ about 20 minutes from me. He is the same surgeon that did my band. I know the choice is yours but if i had listened to others 10 years ago when i got the band i would've gotten the sleeve .... RNY TO ME is still last last resort im terrified of the symptoms one can get and again its my opinion only and what i have witness my close friends and family who had with the RNY.

Hello,

good luck

NY NY.

Hi

I live in Rockland County, NY but my surgeon and hospital is in Hackensack NJ about 20 minutes from me. He is the same surgeon that did my band. I know the choice is yours but if i had listened to others 10 years ago when i got the band i would've gotten the sleeve .... RNY TO ME is still last last resort im terrified of the symptoms one can get and again its my opinion only and what i have witness my close friends and family who had with the RNY.

where is Langone, NY