Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone's goal weight higher than the BMI chart weight?

My doctor set my goal weight at 230 pounds. Any more than that is gravy. Frankly, I'm ok with that as a goal weight, but I've noticed that many people's goals are those on the BMI chart for their height. Would you be ok if you don't get to that weight?

Just curious.

Goal weight is an artificial number. I think during the initial consultation, my surgeon mentioned a goal weight of 190 pounds. But in the end my body determined my end weight and I dropped to almost 140 pounds. After studying research, I decided that I wanted to be on the high side of Normal BMI, so I set my goal weight to 150 pounds. I wanted to have a little extra fat on my body because it is important when you sustain an accident or sickness according to morbidity data.

I set my own goal to have a normal BMI. My thought is I didn't spend all this time, effort, and money to not get to my ideal size. I've been very successful in my weight loss (almost 4 months post-op and down 77 pounds, 70 or so since surgery). thus far and my surgeon sees no reason why I won't lose all my excess weight. I'm realistic and know that life happens and our bodies don't always cooperate, but I've totally shifted my thinking to becoming a normal, thin person and intend to get there. I'm not selling myself short anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@tappingmom Interesting. I wonder if I am "comfortable" with the 230 because I don't want to be disappointed if I don't get any lower than that.

I was like 230 pounds in 8th grade :blush: , so I don't really know what it's like to be normal weight.

I wonder if I'll change my mind the closer I get to "goal".

I think his goal weight was set based on the percentage of weight loss you are expected to lose say 75-80% of excess weight. If you are okay with it great, if not set your own realistic goal and go for it!!

My weight has actually settled at 5 pounds below the goal I set for myself, woohoo!

My husband asked me if I was shooting for "onderland". I told him no, cuz I'm really not, but who knows how I'll feel as I get closer?

I set my goal weight for 140 because that is a normal BMI for me - right in the middle of normal actually.

My surgeon said 150 so we decided to meet in the middle. Right now I am at 165 pounds and wear a size 5/6 pants and am 100% comfortable. If I lose some more great if I don't I am totally happy where I am.

Just saying :)

When they asked me at my first appointment what I thought my goal weight should be I said 199 because I have NO IDEA what less than 200 feels like. I remember being 140 in junior high and being told I was fat at that point. Right now I would be happy with 299 if that meant I never had to see the 300's again.

@@spdmonkeymama That's where I am. Having been 435 a year ago, the fact that I'm currently under 300 is a dream. I am 294 right now and I remember graduating from high school at 292. I've never been under 300 as an adult, so this was my first goal. Now that I'm here, I'm struggling to figure out what my next goal needs to be.

@@her1981 so have you had the surgery? Do you mind me asking what was your BMI before surgery? My dad is looking into the surgery as well and he is worried he will be required to lose a lot before surgery. But his BMI isn't that much higher than mine is.

My surgeons office set my original goal at 185, I discussed it with my nutritionist and she said it would be ok to get down to 175 because I want to do triathlons. Now that I'm still 176, I may try to get down to 170. I think it just depends on what you are comfortable with and what activities you want to do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

My BMI indicates I should be at 135, I lost down to 135 and was playing softball 5 nights a week and could only maintain it by not eating. That was 20 years ago, I really didn't want to choose a number but decided on 150 because I want something I can maintain. It still puts me in the overweight column of the BMI but I am going to count it as a win if I get there.

My Nut told me Monday that I may find 160 is better, she said it's about how I feel and where I am comfortable.

My BMI indicates I should be at 135, I lost down to 135 and was playing softball 5 nights a week and could only maintain it by not eating. That was 20 years ago, I really didn't want to choose a number but decided on 150 because I want something I can maintain. It still puts me in the overweight column of the BMI but I am going to count it as a win if I get there.

My Nut told me Monday that I may find 160 is better, she said it's about how I feel and where I am comfortable.

@@spdmonkeymama My BMI was 70 on surgery day. My doctor didn't require me to lose anything, but pre op I lost 33 pounds. I had my surgery in June at 402. I am currently 294... It's crazy.

Repeat sorry

Edited by GibbsGirl

her1981 my doctor never gave me a goal. I asked at my second visit and he turned the tables on me and asked what I wanted to weigh - I said 165-170. he said to shoot for 150-155 and that would give me a buffer because some people tend to put on about 15-20 about 2yrs out. My ticker reflects down to a normal BMI range for my height (163)...not sure if I am going to make that.

I am 53, and I don't have the elasticity in my skin like I did 20 years ago and if I got to far below about 160 I think the west coast would know how windy it is here on the east coast...