Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you mean pre-surgery related depression or just depression in general?

I guess you could say I had a bit of both. I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 15 and have been on medication for it for almost 15 years. I did start to get a little more depressed prior to my surgery though because even though I was excited I was also fearful of giving up my best friend. food was my comfort, strength, my entire world so knowing that I am going to have to give that up was really hard on me for a while. I became a little more depressed and fought a little harder with it.

So what's it like after surgery... I obviously can't speak for everyone but I feel a LOT better about myself being 70 pounds down. I have more self confidence and I generally feel better. No sore back or neck, knees feel good, etc...

I still suffer from depression though. I will suffer from it until the day that I die. Losing weight isn't an instant cure for depression. I had to modify the drugs I was taking (I take Lexapro) We had to increase the Lexapro and add in Welbutrin. I honestly believes it helps.

I will also say that there are some times I will get a little more sad than other times. For example I brought my kids to Culvers on Sunday. We all got our meals (to go of course) and we all ate in the car (bad idea - just so you know) I ate half of my burger and was full. No fries, no drink, nothing else just my burger (yes the toppings and bun too - I was really bad that day :) ) Anyway, I felt a twinge of depression/sadness. I was a little frustrated that I coudn't even eat one whole fricking burger!!! I was angry for about 5 minutes. I mean really angry......

But then... I realized that first of all what I was feeling was acceptable. I still mourn food sometimes. It's normal and it's an OK feeling. It's ok to feel what ever it is that you are going to feel, they are your feelings and you have a right to them. Secondly, it's not like I couldn't eat it at all. My body was full and I didn't want to over stuff myself and feel miserable. I was just having an internal temper tantrum because I couldn't get "what I want". And Lastly... that is the reason that I had this surgery. To give me a cue to stop eating, to help me with Portion Control, to lose weight, to get healthy, to feel better about myself.

Then I remember that I don't take any obesity related medications, I am down 70 pounds, I fit into a size 5/6 jeans and I feel good about myself. It was totally worth it. Oh, and screw that other half of the burger and fries... didn't want em anyway :)

Yup, I've struggled with depression since I was a teenager and have a strong family history of it on my dad's side.

I've tried a variety of antidepressants and have settled into a decent place with a low dose of Effexor (BTW, if you take meds, you may have to adjust them post-op. I have to split my dosage and take it twice a day instead of once after being sleeved, or it makes me nauseated.).

I had been in therapy off and on over the years, but when I had my psych eval before surgery, they recommended that I find a therapist that I could work with through the whole process. So I started seeing someone a few months pre-op, and I am still doing biweekly sessions at 9.5 months out from surgery.

While I am much happier since surgery in a lot of ways, there is a lot of emotional baggage that comes along with massive weight loss. I knew from the start that having surgery and losing the weight wasn't going to magically "cure" my depression, but it's one step in getting to a happier place.

Best of luck!

I've had depression and generalized anxiety disorder most of my life. For the first six months after surgery, both were up and down and I had pretty quick and severe swings. Now I'm 7.5 months out and I feel great. I'm not even taking my anxiety meds anymore, and while that's a little shaky sometimes, I'm a firm believer that my general improvement in overall health has had a great impact on my psychological health. :)

edit: my previous post doubled for some reason. Ignore. XD

Edited by Cervidae

Weight loss success is just one of many factors influencing the progress in addressing your depression/GAD. It is easily muddled by the much bigger picture around it. My intuition is that with everything else being equal, a healthier body improves mood and depression symptoms, but not further than your body thinks is willing to consider a healthy weight. The problem with set point creeping up over time is that your body will not be happy in response to any weight loss. The happiness is in your head and in a healthier overall physical picture. I have not been able to come off of any of my meds.

Do you mean pre-surgery related depression or just depression in general?

I guess you could say I had a bit of both. I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 15 and have been on medication for it for almost 15 years. I did start to get a little more depressed prior to my surgery though because even though I was excited I was also fearful of giving up my best friend. food was my comfort, strength, my entire world so knowing that I am going to have to give that up was really hard on me for a while. I became a little more depressed and fought a little harder with it.

So what's it like after surgery... I obviously can't speak for everyone but I feel a LOT better about myself being 70 pounds down. I have more self confidence and I generally feel better. No sore back or neck, knees feel good, etc...

I still suffer from depression though. I will suffer from it until the day that I die. Losing weight isn't an instant cure for depression. I had to modify the drugs I was taking (I take Lexapro) We had to increase the Lexapro and add in Welbutrin. I honestly believes it helps.

I will also say that there are some times I will get a little more sad than other times. For example I brought my kids to Culvers on Sunday. We all got our meals (to go of course) and we all ate in the car (bad idea - just so you know) I ate half of my burger and was full. No fries, no drink, nothing else just my burger (yes the toppings and bun too - I was really bad that day :) ) Anyway, I felt a twinge of depression/sadness. I was a little frustrated that I coudn't even eat one whole fricking burger!!! I was angry for about 5 minutes. I mean really angry......

But then... I realized that first of all what I was feeling was acceptable. I still mourn food sometimes. It's normal and it's an OK feeling. It's ok to feel what ever it is that you are going to feel, they are your feelings and you have a right to them. Secondly, it's not like I couldn't eat it at all. My body was full and I didn't want to over stuff myself and feel miserable. I was just having an internal temper tantrum because I couldn't get "what I want". And Lastly... that is the reason that I had this surgery. To give me a cue to stop eating, to help me with Portion Control, to lose weight, to get healthy, to feel better about myself.

Then I remember that I don't take any obesity related medications, I am down 70 pounds, I fit into a size 5/6 jeans and I feel good about myself. It was totally worth it. Oh, and screw that other half of the burger and fries... didn't want em anyway :)

Yeah I struggle with depression before surgery due to an assault and I've been working on that for a while now. I can't say things were great to begin with but they have gotten so much worse. After surgery my back pain escalated and my stomach is cramping so over all I feel miserable. The medication I was taking required a certain amount of calories that I can't get in one setting so now I have to find something different. I hoped it was just a food change that I had to deal with but I see it's my whole life.

Sent from my Z987 using the BariatricPal App

Yup, I've struggled with depression since I was a teenager and have a strong family history of it on my dad's side.

I've tried a variety of antidepressants and have settled into a decent place with a low dose of Effexor (BTW, if you take meds, you may have to adjust them post-op. I have to split my dosage and take it twice a day instead of once after being sleeved, or it makes me nauseated.).

I had been in therapy off and on over the years, but when I had my psych eval before surgery, they recommended that I find a therapist that I could work with through the whole process. So I started seeing someone a few months pre-op, and I am still doing biweekly sessions at 9.5 months out from surgery.

While I am much happier since surgery in a lot of ways, there is a lot of emotional baggage that comes along with massive weight loss. I knew from the start that having surgery and losing the weight wasn't going to magically "cure" my depression, but it's one step in getting to a happier place.

Best of luck!

Thanks

Yeah I struggle with depression before surgery due to an assault and I've been working on that for a while now. I can't say things were great to begin with but they have gotten so much worse. After surgery my back pain escalated and my stomach is cramping so over all I feel miserable. The medication I was taking required a certain amount of calories that I can't get in one setting so now I have to find something different. I hoped it was just a food change that I had to deal with but I see it's my whole life.

How long ago was your surgery? It sounds like maybe you're not very far out. Most people feel pretty crappy for the first couple weeks (or more), but it does get better, I promise!

The first time I tried to take my Effexor post-op, it made me puke because it should be taken with food, and I didn't have enough in my sleeve to make it tolerable. I also found that I metabolized it differently and would get to feeling really weird (Effexor users call it "brain zaps") when it got too long in between doses. So what I did (with my psychiatrist's OK) was to cut my pills in half and take one in the morning and one in the evening. Later I was able to get a smaller dosage pill so that I can take one in the AM and one in the PM. My surgeon said that it was OK to take them right after I eat with a little sip of Water, so there is something in my stomach when I take it. I don't know what medication you were taking and if it can be cut, but that may be something to bring up to your doc if you were otherwise happy with the meds.

How long ago was your surgery? It sounds like maybe you're not very far out. Most people feel pretty crappy for the first couple weeks (or more), but it does get better, I promise!

The first time I tried to take my Effexor post-op, it made me puke because it should be taken with food, and I didn't have enough in my sleeve to make it tolerable. I also found that I metabolized it differently and would get to feeling really weird (Effexor users call it "brain zaps") when it got too long in between doses. So what I did (with my psychiatrist's OK) was to cut my pills in half and take one in the morning and one in the evening. Later I was able to get a smaller dosage pill so that I can take one in the AM and one in the PM. My surgeon said that it was OK to take them right after I eat with a little sip of Water, so there is something in my stomach when I take it. I don't know what medication you were taking and if it can be cut, but that may be something to bring up to your doc if you were otherwise happy with the meds.

Yes I'm new I had it on the 21 and yes I have lined up a doctors appointment to see what I can do to change my medication.

I also take Effexor XR and thought I would have an issue with it as well but thankfully did not. And argh I know all about the brain zaps. So far it seems to be doing okay with me, I am 7 days post-op. Do you feel the drug works better for you than before overall since WLS or the same?

I have struggled with serious depression in the past.

However, as I go through the hormone surges of this weight loss (which are WORSE than pregnancy) I have a persistent low level sadness. I am normally pretty optimistic and upbeat - this is *most* unlike me. I am aware that my emotions are not normal and not to be trusted so I have a very good friend, and my husband who I will go over any real decision I have to make for the time being with me. I just know I need that kind of help right now.

Hoping it will pass as things level out once the weight loss gets closer to goal - but man is this a wild ride.

Hello all. I'm new to this site and am in love with it already. 2 years ago I was turned down for surgery because my depression was out of control when in reality the psychologist was upset because I told her I didn't wanna see her again and that I was gonna look elsewhere. That was in 2014 But here I am today with a new psychologist (January 2016) to treat my depression and anxiety. And my pre op appointment is April 27th (finally). It has been a long journey but I finally made it. I have been looking for a site with supportive ppl and I think I have finally found it! U all r so helpful and sweet. We r a military family (plus I'm a veteran) and finding ppl to talk to seems impossible. I will be visiting this site often. Heaven sent!! Thanks to all and Good luck.

If u fail to plan, u plan to fail.

I also take Effexor XR and thought I would have an issue with it as well but thankfully did not. And argh I know all about the brain zaps. So far it seems to be doing okay with me, I am 7 days post-op. Do you feel the drug works better for you than before overall since WLS or the same?

I feel like it's about the same, except that if I miss a dose I feel it much more quickly than before--and not just brain zaps, but I start to get anxiety/mood swings. I take the regular version, though, not the extended release.

I'm 2 weeks out having trouble getting the Effexor in. Tearful all the time. Can't keep Water or food in me. Miserable and as time goes on without it makes it worse. I'm exhausted and miserable. Stay in your meds if you can. Don't wish this feeling on anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App