Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird s**t your body does (or "I know I ate too much, I need to sneeze.."

If I eat one bite too much I will get flushed and feel like , "I'm melting! I'm melting!" --just like the wicked witch of the North. I keep expecting a house to fall on me.

It's quite intense. When I'm at home I can handle it, but if I'm in a restaurant, I have to leave the table and seek fresh cool air.

I used to get hiccoughs, but now it's "the heat". I'd gladly take the hiccoughs back.

I am glad I am retired and not in a workplace. Either I get loud and fierce hiccups or I will sneeze exactly six times.

That has always happened to me since I was a little kid. The joke is everyone knows I'm full because I sneeze exactly six times. So weird!

Now that I'm just a couple days post-op, I'm curious to see if I continue sneezing or if it's something else.

Btw- I asked an ear, nose throat dr about it and she said its called gustatory rhinitis and people sneeze in multiples of three usually.

For me it's definitely the runny nose that is a sign to stop. It's quite funny that it tends to be 3 or 4 triggers for everyone, yet we are all slightly different... The human body is an amazing thing.

Yes, the vagus nerve is the sneeze / nose run / hiccup button. It gets more easily irritated by the smaller stomach capacity, I have suffered all of the above symptoms.

2 years 5 months latter and I still get the hiccups or runny nose. It's been the same since the beginning.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hmmm.... runny nose, huh? I have had that happening a lot lately but thought it was allergies. I did the hiccupping thing early on but only occasionally now. I am going to watch out for that runny nose thing next time I eat!

I like a lot of others get the hiccups! I know once those start it's time to stop. Even one more bite and I have gone overboard :)

I will also sweat or my nose will start to run, it's sort of a weird feeling but when I am full I will start to get sweaty. Gross when you are out in public!!

Those are the weird eating related things I will also say that I get really cold now. I live in MN and when it's 50 degrees here in the spring time people are out in shorts and t-shirts because it feels so warm. Not me this year. I was outside when it was 57 the other day and I was freezing! I was the only one in my neighborhood to have on jeans and a sweatshirt and still feel cold :)

OOOhhhh... I also get leg cramps a lot more. Almost like charlie horses in my calves. I believe that I need to take in more potassium but that never happened before surgery.

I am also ALWAYS cold and I get a ton of leg cramps. I never got them before surgery. I am almost 3 years post op. I just try to make sure I get enough potassium and magnesium.

I know I can be a bit of a broken record by saying this, but know that cold and/or leg cramps can also be symptoms of hypothyroidism. Especially if you were on thyroid meds prior to surgery, it is worth getting tested to see if you need a thyroid med adjustment. Mine has had to adjust several times since surgery due to different absorption and change in weight. Just a thought...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

My nose runs when I get full. It just dawned on me about 3 months ago. I kept getting a runny nose and wondered why, lol

@@4MRB4PHOTO

Good call out! I get my potassium from adding a half a banana to my meal plan when the leg cramps get too much. I don't take any extra supplements. I like to get the additions in the natural way vs. taking more pills.

I am pretty good at taking my Vitamins but looking at:

AM:

B12

Multi-Vitamin

Biotin

Vitamin D

Lexapro

Welbutrin

10:00am:

Calcium

5pm:

Calcium

Bedtime:

Multi-Vitamin

Now add in the extras for the ulcers and Pnemonia( Which are temporary):

Carafate - 4 times a day

Omeprazol - 2 times a day

Another antacid (can't remember the name) at bedtime

Zithromax - AM

Steroid - 2 in the AM

Norco - As needed for pain

Xanax - As needed for anxiety

I am sick to death of taking pills and supplements. UGH!! LOL

For me, I actually feel like I have a burp stuck and it hurts. As soon as that happens I have to be done or I will be sorry. That also happens if I don't chew properly or if I eat too fast.

It doesn't happen often but when it does I know to stop right there and spit out anything I may have in my mouth.

Same here. I get a sharp pain beneath my sternum. It only lasts for a few minutes, but it's not very pleasant.

My insides make crazy whale sounds when I eat a meal that is higher in starches and fat than normal--like Thanksgiving dinner.

I had a lot of issues with orthostatic hypotension (getting dizzy/feeling like I might black out when I stand up, especially from a crouched or bent over position) for a few months. My NUT suggested upping my sodium intake a bit, and drinking something with electrolytes when I exercise. That helped, and as my weight loss has slowed down, and I'm taking in more calories, it doesn't happen nearly as often.

It's kind of good that we can recognise a physical indicator to help us stop eating. Especially when something tastes so good, and our old habits would have us continue to eat...

I occasionally get the runny nose and sneezing, but I'd have to say the absolute worst thing for me is how hot I get if I eat too much. Just terrible sweating in the most uncomfortable areas (other women probably know what I'm talking about) and behind my knees... hate it.

I know I can be a bit of a broken record by saying this, but know that cold and/or leg cramps can also be symptoms of hypothyroidism. Especially if you were on thyroid meds prior to surgery, it is worth getting tested to see if you need a thyroid med adjustment. Mine has had to adjust several times since surgery due to different absorption and change in weight. Just a thought...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the tip. I am on hypothyroid meds and have been since before surgery but on a pretty low dose. I will talk to my doc about it.

As the title suggests, when I get over-full, I have the urge to sneeze...

Now, I'm pretty certain that it's NOT because the food has backed right up and is pressing against my sneeze button...

(All you non-doctors won't understand 'sneeze button' but trust me, it's an organ..)

I don't actually sneeze tho...

It's just that weird bit just like you're gonna sneeze...

Your eyes start to Water and get squinty and stuff...

Anyway, I'm not looking for advice or anything on how to fix it...

It doesn't happen very often and when it does, I'm fine with the feeling...

But it leads me to this question...

What kinda weird stuff does your body do now that it didn't do before??

Not necessarily food/eating related, but weird s**t nonetheless...

(Please, no graphic poo stories.. That's for another thread in another realm of the universe..)

Right, I'm out...

See ya!!!

Kinda (Jason)

I thought it was my allergies kicking back up and then I read about a year after my surgery that others do that too. I'll go into sneezing fits and deal with a runny nose. Irritating to say the least