Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird s**t your body does (or "I know I ate too much, I need to sneeze.."

As the title suggests, when I get over-full, I have the urge to sneeze...

Now, I'm pretty certain that it's NOT because the food has backed right up and is pressing against my sneeze button...

(All you non-doctors won't understand 'sneeze button' but trust me, it's an organ..)

I don't actually sneeze tho...

It's just that weird bit just like you're gonna sneeze...

Your eyes start to Water and get squinty and stuff...

Anyway, I'm not looking for advice or anything on how to fix it...

It doesn't happen very often and when it does, I'm fine with the feeling...

But it leads me to this question...

What kinda weird stuff does your body do now that it didn't do before??

Not necessarily food/eating related, but weird s**t nonetheless...

(Please, no graphic poo stories.. That's for another thread in another realm of the universe..)

Right, I'm out...

See ya!!!

Kinda (Jason)

@@KindaFamiliar - in the beginning I would hiccup.

Then the hiccupping has decreased and now its a very soft {{{burp}}} if I am reaching the point of "full".

I rarely get there anymore because I also get a sensation (mental type of - AHA moment) that lets me know S_T_O_P! I politely spit out whatever is in my mouth and quit. I have swallowed twice past that point and don't ever want to go there again...no thanks!

I hiccup. Although now that I know to eat slowly, I know when to stop before I reach that point. However on those meals where I forget and scarf down my food, the hiccups are my stop now or you will pay sign.

pam

Right after surgery it was usually a burp. The worst has been hiccups. Now, if I eat too much I sneeze.

It doesn't happen very often because I am careful about my portions and try to take small bites, chew thoroughly, and eat slowly.

If I don't take small bites, chew thoroughly, and eat slowly, then I am more likely to sneeze.

I am glad I am retired and not in a workplace. Either I get loud and fierce hiccups or I will sneeze exactly six times.

For me, I actually feel like I have a burp stuck and it hurts. As soon as that happens I have to be done or I will be sorry. That also happens if I don't chew properly or if I eat too fast.

It doesn't happen often but when it does I know to stop right there and spit out anything I may have in my mouth.

I like a lot of others get the hiccups! I know once those start it's time to stop. Even one more bite and I have gone overboard :)

I will also sweat or my nose will start to run, it's sort of a weird feeling but when I am full I will start to get sweaty. Gross when you are out in public!!

Those are the weird eating related things I will also say that I get really cold now. I live in MN and when it's 50 degrees here in the spring time people are out in shorts and t-shirts because it feels so warm. Not me this year. I was outside when it was 57 the other day and I was freezing! I was the only one in my neighborhood to have on jeans and a sweatshirt and still feel cold :)

OOOhhhh... I also get leg cramps a lot more. Almost like charlie horses in my calves. I believe that I need to take in more potassium but that never happened before surgery.

that sneezing thing is fairly common, from what I can tell.

I just start feeling uncomfortable and I know if I don't stop, whatever I ate is going to come up....

...Those are the weird eating related things I will also say that I get really cold now. I live in MN and when it's 50 degrees here in the spring time people are out in shorts and t-shirts because it feels so warm. Not me this year. I was outside when it was 57 the other day and I was freezing! I was the only one in my neighborhood to have on jeans and a sweatshirt and still feel cold :)

OOOhhhh... I also get leg cramps a lot more. Almost like charlie horses in my calves. I believe that I need to take in more potassium but that never happened before surgery.

I definitely feel the cold a lot more too without the extra fat insulation.

I haven't had "Charlie Horses" in my calves, but I was getting occasionally severe muscle cramps, that lasted a few minutes, in my inner thigh at night after laying down for a long period of time. I kept myself well hydrated, eat a balanced diet and take multi-Vitamins.

I read online that magnesium or potassium supplements can help (I took a regular dosage of each on alternate days), it did help.

I mentioned this to my PCP, she wasn't concerned about the cramps, but was a little more concerned about taking the potassium supplement, in case I ever developed a kidney issue, so she recommended I stop taking that supplement.

Maybe ask your PCP before you start taking potassium supplements (above and beyond what is in your multivitamin).

I used to get the hiccups if I ate too fast a and a runny nose if i ate too much. I would also start salivating non stop if I ate too much. That was the worst. I quickly learned my limits and have managed to avoid this problem the last few months. Now my tummy just makes weird noises while I eat. It sounds like my stomach is rumbling and it is loud enough that anyone near me can also hear it. My wife, bless her heart, laughs it off, but it is a bit embarrassing when it happens outside of the house.

As mentioned above, I am absolutely freezing all of the time. And I was ALWAYS hot before. But it's not the lost weight, I believe it's the reduced calories. Sort of a byproduct of not putting as much fuel on the fire so it burns lower. I say it's not the reduced fat because it started immediately when I started my pre-op diet. Now, I'm sure losing the fat is only exacerbating the situation!

I am looking forward to the day it started warming up here in Michigan. It's been freezing and snowing of and on the last week or two. I can't wait for summer. I'm tired of wearing around thick hoodies and constantly covering up with blankets.

Aha! Now I know why I have been having jet propelled, nose evacuating sneezes. I could pebble-dash a wall (depending on the consistency of what is in my mouth at time of sneeze) at a hundred yards once I hit the 'choo' bit of atchoo! I know-too much information but c'mon guys, what are these forums for but to share our experiences?