Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Iron Deficiency Anemia Situation - Any Positive Experience?

I've been that route for the last 10 years even before surgery- give yourself 3 weeks you will feel fab

Thank you! 1 week down, 2 to go, then :-) How frequently do you need treatments?

I've been that route for the last 10 years even before surgery- give yourself 3 weeks you will feel fab

How often do you recieve infusions. I was at a manageable point in the past (a blood transfusion here and there and a 4 week series of Iron every few months) however now it's just not working like it used to.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

I did 4 weeks then I was good for a couple of years twice- now I do Iron shots instead- try not to get too low

Hang in there and good luck. May GOD bless!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

What are the symptoms ,we should be on the look out?

My symptoms were easy to dismiss & ignore. If I would have paid attention & gotten treatment sooner it wouldn't been so much better.

My symptoms are the following:

-extreme fatigue (think full body exhaustion)

-lack of motivation; apathy

-craving ice & mints (pica-non food cravings)

-always FREEZING

-irritable

-depression

-heart palpitations

-shortness of breath

-lack of endurance doing my routine work outs

-restless legs

-muscle soreness

-lack of ability to concentrate

Those symptoms are spot on. I have all of them. Sept will be my two year anniversary. I was hospitalized last month for a week with dangerously low Iron levels. I am feeling bad again and going back for more lab work. I was referred to a hematologist. He said I will be coming in weekly. I hope he is able to help me. I love my weight loss but need to get healthy.

Edited by JCP

I am 3 1/2 years post op and went to have gallbladder removed and bloodwork showed anemia. 7.6 was my hemoglobin. I too feel horrible. No energy. Starting on Iron tablets hoping that will help. I am also scheduled for endoscopy and colonoscopy just to make sure its not from blood loss, but i am sure it has to do with the sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

@@livvsmum I dealt with iron-deficiency anemia for about 6 years, I took every form of oral Iron available, ate iron-rich foods, blahblahblah. I finally ended up with a great doctor in the DC area who took my symptoms seriously and really looked at the details of my anemia vs just my hemoglobin and hematocrit. First, she addressed the source of the anemia which was my heavy periods. Once I'd had an endometrial ablation and the bleeding was eliminated, I did 3 rounds of 7 weeks of infusions, with Iron dextran. My body's iron stores were so depleted that I was almost done with the second 7 week round before I started any feeling better at all. It took a few months after the last round for my numbers to stay in the normal range.
I had my sleeve surgery on 6/21 and my hematocrit was great, my RBCs are normal size and shape and my iron binding capacity is finally in normal range again.
I think many times moderate iron-deficiency anemia is dismissed, but I'm living proof that your numbers don't have to be at "OHMYGOD that's so LOW" to do long-term damage to your body. I spent most of my 40s exhausted, out of breath, in a mental fog and just feeling like crap. Good luck to you, I hope you're able to get your numbers back to a reasonable level.

Are you using Iron dextrin? I have just started my infusions,.takes about 3 hours for me but everyone else about an hour ,my hematologist wanted me in twice a week,b it I only go once week, it will continue for 6 weeks then a full blood panel to see if my numbers improve,a and I feel crappy after the infusions

Sent from my LGLK430 using the BariatricPal App