Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys who started over 400 lbs.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:31 PM, BlueCrush said:

I officially hit my goal weight last week. 225. Never thought I could get here 18 months ago!

Congrats!!

Started at 422 lbs, managed to get down to about 365 with diet. Had my surgery one month ago and just hit 332 lbs.

I don't get much exercised because I have a severely arthritic hip. I'm starting PT up again next week to help with that, i can get the hip replaced once I hit 295 lbs, so that's my first goal.

Originally I was thinking it would be amazing to get down to 250-260, but now i'm setting my sights higher (lower?) to 225 lbs. I enjoy exercising, so I'm hoping that hip comes in and helps significantly.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys!

Great work so far with your loss. Will you be able to get the replacement as soon as you hit 295? Hopefully so, you'll be there in no time.

That's my plan! i'm already nagging the surgeons to get me scheduled. These plateaus are killing me though!

Man its great to see other big dudes succeeding.

I got sleeved 10 weeks ago. Starting weight was 440lbs yesterday was 344lbs. 96 lbs down.

People ask if I feel better. I really didn't feel that bad before. My knees do feel better, but as far as overall I don't feel much different. I think I have little more energy, but not a ton. I can still sit in chair and watch TV. I gotta force myself to get my butt up and go do something.

I see all you guys hitting the gym or getting up at 530 to exercise and I still have not found the motivation to do it. How do you guys get the motivation

Congrats on the loss, that's a huge accomplishment!

As far as gym motivation, a few things work for me.

- Just go, even if you only do one exercise there, or just use the sauna. Just physically get yourself there

- Figure out what time of day you like to go, I happen to like when it is crowded as the people watching distracts me.

- Chat with the front desk people. If I feel like they will notice I'm not there, I feel more motivated.

- Don't push yourself too hard right away. Hurting yourself on day 1 is not a good path to success.

I Just finished my PRE-OP medical visit...Finished all the educational classes and jumped though all the medical clearance hoops. NOVEMBER 15 is the day! Surgery...Trying to get it for 15 years. Lost over 180 lbs on my own and was doing great. NOW I feel like I won't EVER be able to eat again! So...I have a large pizza and sub setting in front of me. WHAT AM I DOING! IT'S NOT LOGICAL! I'm a very LOGICAL thinking person. Got to get a grip!

7 minutes ago, NEXT YEAR IN JERUSALEM said:

So...I have a large pizza and sub setting in front of me. WHAT AM I DOING! IT'S NOT LOGICAL! I'm a very LOGICAL thinking person. Got to get a grip!

Have one slice and and a quarter of the sub and save the rest for another meal.

Just got thru pre-op tests and checks! I’m go for surgery 11/8 for stage 2. Was sleeved in March 2017 getting duodenal switch coming soon! Back to Protein diet for 2weeks pre-surgery.
Went from 446 to 360 with sleeve. Looking for suggestions for exercises. I’m on a walker b/c of knees, or a wheelchair if “out on the town” can’t do long distances. All this plus plastics to remove excess skin THEN heading for knee replacement! Chime in folks! Thx for your help!

@Porthous I'm right there with you on motivation to work out. I have equipment here at home and I still don't touch it. I'm just over 3 months out from sleeve.

@NEXT YEAR IN JERUSALEM Getting WLS is a huge mind "game". You have to mentally prepare yourself for a lifestyle change. Pre op I knew what I was doing and what would be expected, I knew what the changes would be but couldn't imagine it. Post op, you get it. The hardest part for me was having patience. Things go slow and you have to allow yourself to learn and let your body heal. Just make sure your head is right. I think that's the hardest part of all of it.

@ScottH611 I wish I had the motivation to follow my own advice but Google seated or chair exercises. You'll find upper body movements that will help you out.

For me, getting into the gym was kind of like weight loss when I first start at the pre-op diet. It sucked at first, and I had to force myself to do it, but after just a few weeks when I started to see rapid results, it motivated me to push harder to see even more results. Once you start gaining some muscle mass and seeing muscles pop where you never have before, trust me, you will be plenty motivated to keep going back. I very much compare this to when you first start Weight Loss and you are seeing 5 plus pounds per week falling off, keeps you motivated to stay on track.

For those with bad knees (i have a bad hip) check out your local pools and their Water fitness courses. I do a deep water fitness which takes all the pain off my hip and gives me a good cardio workout, and the water resistance helps build muscles. It's me and a bunch of little old ladies :) Been doing it since my high weight, and always feel better after a class.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:47 AM, PopsFury said:

For those with bad knees (i have a bad hip) check out your local pools

Perfect advice.

Swimming (even slow breaststroke) brings back a muscular upper torso in reasonable time and the pool allows one to operate oblivious to the knee and ankle pain of other cardio exercise.

I have been doing 2.5 to 3.5 hours per day at the pool for over 11 months now. (Have only missed two days since I started.)