Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys who started over 400 lbs.

I started at 397 and have been maintaining between 170-175 for seven months as of yesterday. I got to goal about one year post-op.

Omg I could never imagined being that size but just wowwed at how far your guys are going

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

I started at 489 and was 475 on the day of my surgery in February of 2016. I’m currently 284 and steady at this point. So I’m down a total of 205. I lost most of the weight during the first year. The health issues I had before are gone and I feel great and I’m fairly active now with bike riding, walking and swimming.

Good luck to everyone on this journey. This thread was very motivating when I started over 2 years ago.

22 hours ago, DaAlchemist said:

Hello All I was just looking over and cant believe how far I've come I'm down to 320 in a little over 7 months coming from 435 Im still in shock but feeling great

Impressive effort, @DaAlchemist ... in Australia your achievement would be 197.3 kg (435 lbs) down to 145.1 kg (320 lbs) ... So your loss of 52.2 kg (115 pounds) is wonderful.

In my case, my (nearly) seven months (12th Oct 2017 to 4th May 2018) has netted 44.3 kg (about 98 lbs) from 174.6 kg (about 385 lbs) to 130.3 kg (287 lbs).

I am currently recovering from five weeks of trickle losses. Three days ago my dietitian suggested I make a couple of changes to the timing of my eating. In a short period of about 70 hours, things seem to be getting better.

Best wishes for your continuing positive progress.

Coming up on 11 months post op. Down about 150 lbs. been struggling for months to actually lose weight. However body still changing.

Odd thing. I’m am loosing energy. Tired a lot. Md says all labs look good. Vitamins levels good. Any thoughts?

I am in my mid 30's and 6'-1".

September 2017 - 429 lbs

February 2018 - 365 lbs (Surgery date)

Currently 290 lbs.

The doctor asked me to do a pre-pre-op diet and wanted me to lose 10% (42 obs) of my weight prior the surgery. It's hard work, but a good life or crappy life.

Everything has been fine except for an increase occurrence of gout.

sent from a samsung s7 edge...

Two years ago today I had the surgery. I weighed in at the hospital at 389 pounds. I started the two week diet at 420 pounds so I lost 31 pounds on the two week diet. I now weigh 189 so I lost exactly 200 pounds. I had gotten into the 160's. My doctor actually told me to gain weight. Been sitting in the upper 180's or lower 190's for a while now.

2 hours ago, sgc said:

I lost exactly 200 pounds.

Power to you.

I am 48 weeks since meeting my surgeon at 174.6 kg. In the weeks before surgery, I dropped about 15 kg (33 pounds).

My surgery was 12th Oct 2017.

Thanks to my gastric sleeve, my 1200-1400 calories per day, my 77 hours per month swimming and my 30 hours per month in the gym, I am easily going to realise 52 kg (114.5 pounds) off in 52 weeks since meeting the surgeon to discuss a gastric sleeve.

- - -

I hope you are reaping the benefits of improved lifestyle and comfortable clothes!

For the first time since about middle school (~20 years), I'm NOT obese!

1st pic - May 30th, 2017; 406lbs

2nd pic - June 22nd, 2018; 235.7lbs

Screenshot_20180611-121713.png

Screenshot_20180622-072246.png

I was 6’7” and 489 lbs when I had surgery on May 10, 2018.

Currently I am 416 at a little over a month out.

I’ve had zero complications. I have followed the program to a “T” because I figured this was my last shot to live a long life. If this doesn’t work I will die a young man.

So I eat about 1000-1200 calories a day. The main focus is 120g of Protein or more.

I wake up at 5 am every morning instead of 6:30 so I can workout. I do that five times a week.

I walk 4.5 miles a day (started at half a mile three days after surgery and have progressively increased it.)

I take the stairs at work (I’m on the 5th floor). Originally I started taking the elevator to the 4th floor and taking one flight and now I do them all.

Little changes that have made a huge difference. I feel better than I have felt in over a decade. I have a long way to go but man, you’ll never regret this surgery if you have it. But it is like anything else. You’ll get out what you put in. Start small and go big on the exercise and watch your diet very carefully.

9 hours ago, jasehoward said:

Little changes that have made a huge difference.

So true.

I started with minimal (safe) exercise after surgery (on Oct 12th 2017). By the end of November, my daily swim had progressed from ten laps of a 25m heated indoor pool to swimming 125 minutes and chest-deep wading about 45 to 75 minutes (dependent on time available, work, etc.)

I also do gym for 90 minutes three days per week (after starting out with just three or four stations for a total of 15 minutes).

Little things: I park the car on the far side of the supermarket car-park so that I get an extra slab of incidental walking. I park at least one block from the cafe/diner (unless it's raining).

I try to eat under 1000 calories on at least four days per week (but I don't stress if the exercise makes me hungrier). I still try to eat 45% to 65% of my calories in Protein rich foods.

Hello all
I'm new here I'm 53 years old and 315lbs Hispanic from San Antonio I'm having the sleeve done I will get my date on Monday

I officially hit my goal weight last week. 225. Never thought I could get here 18 months ago!

13 hours ago, BlueCrush said:

I officially hit my goal weight last week. 225. Never thought I could get here 18 months ago!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you sir!!!!!! In less than a year at that. It must feel amazing to be there, both physically and emotionally. I can't wait for the day I can say the same. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

13 hours ago, BlueCrush said:

Congratulations, BlueCrush! That is terrific news and a great achievement!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches