Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys who started over 400 lbs.

@@BigTink2LilTink Incredible. You deserve the rewards of your hard work.

Thank you. However the work isn't completed yet. I still have some ways to go before I conclude my surgical journey a complete success. So fair I would say that its successfully moving in the right direction.

@@BigTink2LilTink Incredible. You deserve the rewards of your hard work.

I just had bypass 23 Mar 16. HW was 440 sw 399. Almost at 3 weeks post op down to 374. That is diet only as my left most incision was sewn into a nerve with disintegrating sutures that take 6ish weeks to disintegrate. The pain from my stomach apron tugging on that nerve makes walking, bending over, or standing for more then a minute or 2 unbearable. Surgeon says it happens sometimes, I was unlucky there is guess. Everything else going smooth however. Can't wait to start walking.

hw 440 sw 399 cw 378 rny on 3/23/16

@@Roalmc77 Sorry to read about your complication. Hope it all works out.

Tried to go back to work today... currently there but doubt I'm staying. The left most incision site is being pulled way to much. Regular Xtra strength Tylenol liquid is doing nothing. I swear it feels like I was sewn up to tight on that side(best way I can explain it) tender to the touch from incision straight down towards waist. Shooting pain from that site towards waist as well. Only slight improvement by me holding my belly fat apron on that side. Can't sit straight up or lean forward at all. Slightly leaned back is OK, the least painful.

hw 440 sw 399 cw 378 rny on 3/23/16

Edited by Roalmc77

First post here on bariatric pal, but have been reading for a while now and this topic is great to read.

About my self I am 37 I started down this road in January weighing 525 lbs. I had my Surgery in March and am 4 weeks post op and down 425 lbs. The only co morbidity that i had was sleep apnea. So far everything is going great stating to feel good agian and regain my energy levels and plan on starting back up the gym routine next week. I like reading about the post from us big guys and how well you guys are doing it keeps me going and knowing that it isnt just a pipe dream. Thanks everybody and keep the stories coming.

Congrats I started in January as well with diet weighed 440 then. Surgery was 399 and was Mar 23rd. 4 weeks out as well, current weight 364.2 so close to 75 lbs lost. We seem to be on the same path :) oh and I'm 38 and sleep apnea only.

hw 440 sw 399 cw 370 rny on 3/23/16

Edited by Roalmc77

@@Gibby679 Welcome, and congrats on your progress. The affirmation that it's not a pipe dream has been so helpful to me, too.

@@Roalmc77 Have your complications subsided? Hope you're not experiencing the pain anymore.

Edited by Ignatius

It's more sore then painful now. Thanks.

hw 440 sw 399 cw 363 rny on 3/23/16

Good time for my first post since I saw this topic and it's nice to see the responses from guys in similar situations. I was supposed to have the surgery back in 2012 and didn't go through with it at the time because I was living overseas. The doctors were not sure it was safe to fly 16 hrs a couple of weeks after the surgery. I finally decided this year to have the surgery, but gave myself 45 days post surgery before flying half way around the world. I had the surgery in early February and had no complications with the long haul travel.

I'm 49 years old and I'm about 10 weeks post surgery and haven't had too many complications. The hardest part about the actual recovery for me was the pain for sleeping the first two weeks. I was always a side/stomach sleeper and the pain was too much to get anywhere near to my side or stomach. After about two weeks, the pain went away and I was able to sleep well again. I'm able to tolerate any food and liquids now with no problem and feel good. I'm already noticing alot of health changes and my blood work is now normal for the first time since college. I'm off most of my medication, but still take BP meds for now but I'm no longer taking medicine for diabetes which I'm very happy about. I'm able to move around more easily and don't get out of breath on steps, etc. I'm down 85 lbs now and I'm close to being under 400 for the first time in many years. I've still got a long way to go, but it's a good start and hopefully will keep going in the right direction.

I have a very supportive family and I only wish I did this earlier, but here's to looking forward and being healthy again.

Good luck to all of you guys.

Edited by aggietop

Congratulations and welcome, aggietop. It sounds like you are making great progress. It really is remarkable how quickly things get easier over time and how much of a lifestyle improvement this is.

@@aggietop Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear your story. I'm glad you mentioned looking forward to getting under 400. I completely relate, but to so many people that's such an alien concept for an achievement. Good to find a community where others can truly empathize. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started at 515, sleeved july 15 (laparoscopically by a robot!). I too had 4 weeks of liquid pre op, worst...time...ever... I felt like an addict going through withdrawl, oh wait, I was! Very fast recovery. I have only felt weak twice, too long a period of time in between eating, and not enough Protein. I started Water aerobics 3 months post op. At 6 months, Dr. said "out of the pool!" I do aerobics/Zumba 3x per week, Weights, jogging a lap in between sets 2x-3x per week. Am jogging/walking a 5 k May 1. Rode my bike for the first time in 20 years last sunday. FEEL GREAT, don't LOOK too bad either! In 8 lbs I will break into the 200's. Ye-F-ing-Ha. I still have 100 to go, but the task doesn't seem so daunting now. Good luck, and keep us posted as to your successes and challenges.

Wow David - so you lost over 200 lbs in just 9 months ? That's incredible - congratulations on your success and way to work hard !!!!

Not sure if anyone can relate to this but I'm (pre-op) having a hard time mentally thinking I will experience these kinds of successes. I don't know how to explain it to my wife but it kind of seems like watching a movie, a story of something happening to other people. At 460 lbs, the thought of some day (relatively soon) being "out of" the 400's or even close to 300 just seems unreal !!!

I'm sounding crazy huh ???

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@JoeVegas You're sounding perfectly sane to me. Suspension of disbelief is quite hard for me too. But I'm just focusing on the fact that so many who started like me have done so well. It's our best shot.