Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to VSG, just starting my journey

14 hours ago, goingtothebeach said:

Hi there. I've just had my initial consult with the Dr. to whom a friend referred me. It went well, as in i was "approved" to start the process. 1st step was me calling my insurance to see if the surgery is covered. IT'S NOT! I'm devastated. I have been considering this for over ten years. I was so excited to start the process.

My options are to:
1. Wait for open enrollment and try to start the process next January.

2. Get a new job, this new insurance.

3. Use a very recent minimal inheritance (that I wanted to save for skin removal later) and potentially have surgery in a month or so. I was told I would only require one nutrition visit and the psych evaluation. I'm sure there are labs and such to be completed. I have recently had labs done and all was normal.

Any thoughts? I only have one friend to talk to about this.

Thank you!

That's a tough one! Honestly if it was ME, I'd probably choose to use the money I had and pay cash. BUT, that's just me. I've been doing this for almost a year and am still on the pre-op side. On the other hand, I truly believe the time I've had to wait has given me enough time to truly prepare for the changes I'm about to endure. I really think that if I only had a month to prepare, I'd be in for some shocking revelations about how bad my eating and exercise habits really were. I do see that you said you've been considering this for a long time, so you may not have the same issue I would have as I had only been seriously considering it for about a year.

This truly is a personal choice - no one can know the best thing for you except YOU. good luck on whatever you decide!

March 1, 2017

===============

Meeting the surgeon today!! I should walk out of there with a date so I'll know if I can get in before March 27th or if I'll have to wait until May. Fingers crossed I get in before, I'm so ready to get on the other side of this. But I'm also fully prepared to wait if necessary. It will just be so nice to know one way or the other :)

Hi there. I've just had my initial consult with the Dr. to whom a friend referred me. It went well, as in i was "approved" to start the process. 1st step was me calling my insurance to see if the surgery is covered. IT'S NOT! I'm devastated. I have been considering this for over ten years. I was so excited to start the process.

My options are to:
1. Wait for open enrollment and try to start the process next January.

2. Get a new job, this new insurance.

3. Use a very recent minimal inheritance (that I wanted to save for skin removal later) and potentially have surgery in a month or so. I was told I would only require one nutrition visit and the psych evaluation. I'm sure there are labs and such to be completed. I have recently had labs done and all was normal.

Any thoughts? I only have one friend to talk to about this.

Thank you!

As difficult as it may be, I think it is worth it to wait . This is a major lifestyle change that you will want to prepare for, not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually. I'm sure you realize, it is only a tool to help us in the long term, it is the habits that we need to break and pretty much rewrite ourselves with our relationship with food and the triggers that we have dealt with by eating.

Rushing to have it done may not give you the time to start making and getting comfortable with the changes post surgery.

March 3, 2017

===============================

Just checked my insurance website and it looks like I got an approval for surgery! I wasn't super concerned since I've done everything required but it's still nice to know that's done and good to go :)

Pre-op diet starts Monday!

So happy to hear you got your date! You are just a few weeks away from the losers' bench now!

Tuesday March 7, 2017

==============================

Day 2 of my pre-op diet. It's 1200 calories of high Protein, low carb.

I can have:

2-3 shakes a day

1 Protein Bar OR a greek yogurt

4oz lean protein

Decaf liquids with no sugar

2 small fruits and as many non-starchy veggies as I want

I'm feeling the hunger, but i'm sure it'll go away after a few days! Had my hospital pre-admissions appt today, they took (another) medical history, told me the details with regards to timing, meds I can and can't take, etc. I'm their first sleeve of the day, so i have to be there at 6am for a 7:30 surgery. I like being first, rather than waiting, so I'm OK with that! I also met one of the anesthesiologists and they took some blood for a few more tests.

Tomorrow is my pre-op NUT appt, then next week I have my 1 week pre-op surgeon meeting (they want to make sure I'm losing weight on the pre-op diet so they know I"m following it!).

2 weeks from today I'll be on the other side!! So exciting :)

March 11, 2017

==================================

Day 7 of my preop liver-shrink diet. Not losing as much as I'd hoped, but all I can figure is that I've been eating similarly for the past several months to reach the surgeon's goal so it's not as much of a shock to my body as it would be otherwise. I really didn't have to cut much - just dropped calories. As long as I lose at least a few pounds I think I'll be OK and so far I'm down about 3lbs from my March 1st surgeon visit. I have my final pre-op visit on Wednesday and TEN DAYS it's surgery day! I am so excited. And scared. I've never had major surgery but this will lead to such great things, the excitement wins :)

March 20, 2017

=====================

Preop diet went well, lost about 6lbs.

I'm on Clear   liquids today in preparation for surgery tomorrow. A little nervous but mostly excited to be on the other side of this! Time to pack my bag and make sure the house is clean before I go [emoji4]

March 23, 2017
===≠===============

2 days post-op. Should be leaving the hospital today. Not in too much pain, mostly just gas bubbles moving around. Haven't used pain meds in about 8 hours. They should be removing the IV soon, too. My belly is sore and swollen but feels a lot like I did a whole lot of sit-ups so nothing horrible.

Having my first non-water meal of broth, apple juice, and SF sorbet .

Here's hoping every day is a little bit better :)

March 23, 2017
===≠===============

2 days post-op. Should be leaving the hospital today. Not in too much pain, mostly just gas bubbles moving around. Haven't used pain meds in about 8 hours. They should be removing the IV soon, too. My belly is sore and swollen but feels a lot like I did a whole lot of sit-ups so nothing horrible.

Having my first non-water meal of broth, apple juice, and SF sorbet .

Here's hoping every day is a little bit better [emoji4]

I just read your entire thread. What an amazing and difficult journey. I look forward to reading all of your continued successes.

Your thread has to be an inspiration to many who are just beginning the process to approval.

Congratulations on being on the right side of good health and future amazing family vacations!

Take care

On 3/24/2017 at 0:58 PM, Pam_2-06-2017 said:

I just read your entire thread. What an amazing and difficult journey. I look forward to reading all of your continued successes.

Your thread has to be an inspiration to many who are just beginning the process to approval.

Congratulations on being on the right side of good health and future amazing family vacations!

Take care

Thank you so much :)