Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to know if you can eat Cereal and milk after you've completed all phases and are eating regular foods? I'm asking because it's a rule not to eat and drink within the same timeframe. I love cereal and I just wanted to know if this is allowed. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my VS990 using the BariatricPal App

I don't make a habit of it, nor have I consulted my nutritionist about it, but I confess to eating a bowl of cereal on occasion I haven't had any issues with the eating/drinking time frame at all.

@@darima77 - I eat cereal occasionally but I barely put enough unsweetened almond milk on it to make it wet.

The worst part about cereal is the carbs, IMO, and its hard to eat JUST a 1/4 of a cup and still get 30 crabs :/

Its like eating almonds (delicious) but can you ONLY eat 15-20? Beyond that you are getting a lot of calories so be careful about what you eat - - - adds up.

1) No, I don't eat cereal and 2) Although my program permits grains in maintenance mode -- not in weight loss mode -- cereal is forbidden (by my program, your program's rules may vary) because of eating & drinking at the same time. So is Soup, other than creamed soup. We are allowed to strain soup and first drink the broth, then eat the chunky parts, but why bother?

Wow! Some programs have strict rules. Mine was very slow to introduce food stages. Everyone on the site at my same surgery date was eating real food way before I could. My paperwork says I can have oatmeal but I haven't.

It seems like too many carbs for not much reward since the Protein isn't very high 1/2 c dry = 5p 150c. Why wouldn't you be able to have Soup when you can have Protein drinks? Weird.

I'm not going to eat box cereal because it is usually too processed with too much sugar. I guess it depends on what kind you want and how much you eat. I personally can't see that eating milk on cereal ( or soup) could be problematic for digestion. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have attempted eating Cereal it just didn't settle well with me.. eating and drinking at the same time. My surgeon said it was okay to take some sips during eating at first but in the long run it should be avoided.

Uh ... cereal is pretty worthless stuff.

Read the labels -- how much Protein? How much sugar? How many carbs? Frankly, cereal is pretty pitiful stuff for a WLS patient who's trying to lose weight.

Yes, the rules vary, but these rules are pretty universal:

1. Eat 70-100 grams of Protein.

2. Eat your protein FIRST.

3. When your capacity increases, add colored, low-glycemic vegetables.

4. When your capacity increases, add a little fruit.

5. When your capacity increases more, add whole grains.

You'll find very little protein, no veggies, no good fruits, and very few whole grains in most cereals.

Oh ... and since you're asking this early, I'm betting you loooooove cereal. ;) And that means it's probably a trigger food for you -- something you could eat a lot of and graze on. If so, it's yet another reason not to eat any of it while you're trying to lose weight.

Later on, in maintenance, you can eat anything you want to as long as it doesn't make you gain weight. But until then ... nope.

I haven't tried cereal because I'm still in the purée stage. However, the literature from my surgeon does allow cereal with milk at the next stage. It recommends 1/2c unsweetened cereal such as Cheerios, Cornflakes or Rice Krispies with 1/4 c skim milk.

I should also add that the plan that I was given does not limit carbs as much as some other plans. I was given guidelines to incorporate 1-2 (1/4 cup) servings each of carbs, fruits and vegetables per day and 4 small servings each of meats and dairy.

I met with my nutritionist to advance to soft foods yesterday and she did clarify a few things about cereal and milk. She said that although it is on the list, it is not preferred because it does break the drinking while eating rule. She said I could try it if I wanted, but I may find that I get hungry sooner because it didn't stay in my stomach very long. If I find I get hungry, I should stay away from the cereal and milk.

I hope this helps!

I eat low sugar/high fiber/whole grain cereals like Cheerios, All-Bran flakes, Post Shredded Wheat and Bran and combine those with hormone-free Hood Simply Smart fat-free milk, which is ultra-filtered to remove some of the Water and thereby has improved Protein and Calcium content. Sometimes sprinkle wild blueberries, banana slices or strawberry slices on top. Has been okay for me.

Edited by Barry W

If you love it that much, you can eat a bowl from time to time, as long as you don't make an habit out of it since it hasn't got a high nutritional value.

@@Wayward Traveler, I was simply told that liquid would take place in your rather small stomach and if you eat at the same time, you will be quickly full and it might feel quite painful plus you would not be getting enough food.< /p>

I think liquids pass through quickly, but still having two at the same time will inevitably fill you more. I was adviced not to drink 30 before and after eating. But a tiny bit of liquid with food shouldn't ruin your whole surgery (if you have reintroduced normal foods) but then again I am not a surgeon or a doctor :P