Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How in the world have I gained 18 pounds in 5 days?!?!?!?

Long story short: I went to the ER just 5 days ago due to a large kidney stone. I had emergency surgery to break up the kidney stone and I ended up having to stay in the hospital for 1 night. My urologist also put in a stent that I'll have for 4 weeks. I get all of that.

But how in the world have I gained 18 pounds in 5 days (from kidney stone surgery)?!?!?!?!?! EIGHTEEN POUNDS!!!!!

And if that wasn't bad enough, I'm in a local Biggest Loser weight loss challenge that's been going on for 7 weeks where you can win $1,000 if you lose the most weight. I walked nearly 70 miles each week and closely monitored my food intake. I don't know if I would have won, but I was so happy with my progress. Unfortunately, the last weigh in is this week...and did I mention I'm up 18 pounds?!?!

I'm so disappointed.

Inflammation and all the IV fluids. I wonder how much kidney function reduces. That may also be why you're holding Fluid. Then there's the Constipation and slowwwwwww motility from anesthesia and narcotics. Our colons can hold 8-12 pounds of waste [emoji12]

I just posted on a vets thread about some of this.

Don't panic. It will come off when you start moving.

It's not fat. Promise!

Inflammation and all the IV fluids. I wonder how much kidney function reduces. That may also be why you're holding Fluid. Then there's the Constipation and slowwwwwww motility from anesthesia and narcotics. Our colons can hold 8-12 pounds of waste [emoji12]

I just posted on a vets thread about some of this.

Don't panic. It will come off when you start moving.

It's not fat. Promise!

Thank you so much for the response and explanation. I really appreciate it. Just hate that all of this had to happen right before my final weigh-in.

when I came home from my second stay in the hospital, I was 12 lbs heavier than preop. All fluids & swelling, of course, as I was only in the hospital cause I couldn't keep anything down.

Overnight, nearly half of it disappeared. Truth.

Edited by 2goldengirl

Oh wow I feel so bad for you. I agree that it is the Fluid from the hospital IV's but the timing really sucks. My Doc took me off my thyroid pills for a short time at 6 weeks out because the blood test came back high. I gained 7 pounds in 4 days. It is so frustrating when you do everything right, but you still pay the price. Hang in there! Long term this is just a speed bump.

Try not to panic. I'm betting most of it will be gone in a few days. Leave the scale alone for a couple days. For me, when the scale isn't moving I get super stressed out. So I just keep

Doing what I'm supposed to do and forget about the numbers. When I weigh again a few days later, all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have an urgent appointment with my Urologist tomorrow. They're concerned that I've gained 18 pounds in 5 days. So they're going to do an X-ray and run some tests.

I have an urgent appointment with my Urologist tomorrow. They're concerned that I've gained 18 pounds in 5 days. So they're going to do an X-ray and run some tests.

I'm so sorry to hear this - they may be worried about hydronephrosis. I'm so sorry about your competition, but your kidneys are more important. Hoping everything is OK!

I hope questions are all cleared up for you tomorrow. Sounds like you have a proactive, decisive and responsive Doc!!

I'm so sorry to hear this - they may be worried about hydronephrosis. I'm so sorry about your competition, but your kidneys are more important. Hoping everything is OK!

Thank you. I appreciate it. I think you are right. Hopefully I know something by tomorrow afternoon.

I hope questions are all cleared up for you tomorrow. Sounds like you have a proactive, decisive and responsive Doc!!

Yeah, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll know what's going on. And I really like my Urologist!!

Haven't been able to sleep all night due to the pain.

I'm now up 22 pounds in 6 days, so I'm close to averaging a 4-pound gain. EACH DAY!! I know it's Water weight and all that jazz, but it is still unreal how fast the body can put on weight.

Wow! Have you heard from the Doc yet?

Wow! Have you heard from the Doc yet?

Just got back from the Urologist and they addressed most of my concerns (i.e. pain, difficulty urinating, etc) except for the rapid weight gain. They said there is no way I gained all of that weight from kidney stone surgery or by having a stent.

They are concerned I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia which is causing Fluid buildup around my heart. So they set me up for an appointment to see a cardiologist tomorrow morning.

I also have to start self-cathetering 3x a day. Yay! Fun, fun! LOL.

we will all be looking for an update tomorrow after you see that doctor.