Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@darima77 I'm about 11 weeks out. Eating out at restaurants is a little tricky. I tend to stay with shrimp, chicken or beef. I can't eat a lot so most of the time I take a lot home. No Pasta, Soups or salads. Always stick with a Protein. I check the appetizers and kids meals first. If there isn't anything that fits my plan I order from the regular menu. Some restaurants let you share a plate either for free or a small charge.

I have had some popcorn with no issues. It was only 20 cal for 1 cup so I didn't feel like I was cheating. (No added butter)

I have had cashews and peanuts with no issues. Almonds didn't settle to well the time I tried them. I will try again. Be sure to chew like crazy ;)

Edited by cindyw41

I am 8 mos out and I eat everything. popcorn and nuts. I eat Beans, Pasta and bread sparingly. It fills me up too quickly. I've posted before and I've received negative comments about my eating habits. But it works for me. I started at 200 and I now weigh 133...and I don't fluctuate much. I eat many times a day, but 4 or 5 bites. I don't log my food or count anything. Maybe I'm being naive or getting cocky...but I've done that my whole life and I feel free now. I can definitely eat more now. I don't think I've stretched out my stomach. I can eat very little in the morning, but as the day goes on I can eat more. I never drink alcohol, carbonated drinks, or juice. I eat chips, tacos, English muffins and Peanut Butter. Turkey Jerky, nuts, cheese, pizza, Sweets aren't my thing, and if I do eat them, it's a few bites. Don't eat ice cream. I love cheeseburgers (half with one bun). A taquito. Half a piece of chicken and four bites of salad with ranch. A few fries. Sweet potato. No fruit really. I eat what I want when I want...just four or five bites. I would really have to work at it all day and make myself uncomfortable to gain weight. I don't know if this is bad advice, but it works for me. Good luck.

I was allowed popcorn and nuts at 3 months post-op.

At 19 months post-op I can eat 3-4 oz. of dense Protein or about 6 oz. of liquidy things like chili. When eating out I often just ask for a to-go box at the beginning and transfer the food I know I can't eat into it right away. I order Entrees with no sides, or high Protein apps, or a la carte. I'll do grilled chicken sandwich with no roll and eat half for example.

I want to know what do most people eat after they return to regular food?

I try to stick to non-processed meat, green veggies, small amounts of fruit, dairy, and nuts.

How much do you eat (especially at restaurants)?

I eat about 3 oz meat + 1-2 oz green veggies, same at a restaurant as at home. At restaurants, I order leanly prepared meats and tell them to hold the high-carb items (potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread, etc.). Some sample orders for me might be grilled shrimp appetizer with a side of asparagus, or a fish entree with no high carb side. If I order a full entree, I usually take home at least half for tomorrow's lunch or supper. I can usually eat most of an appetizer, depending on the restaurant.

Can you eventually eat popcorn and nuts again?

I can eat popcorn but I choose not to: nutritionally worthless, slider food -- I only eat these on rare occasions as an indulgence, and I don't like popcorn enough for me to make it a special treat on a rare occasion. I eat nuts with no problem -- which means they can be a problem! They are also a slider food for me and are super high calorie. However, I think they are really healthy and they fit well into my plan, so I eat them regularly -- but only when I can weigh them and make sure I get the exact number of grams that will fit into my daily calorie allowance (usually 20 - 25 grams, which is about half a handful).

THANK YOU ALL!!! Your responses have helped a lot. I can at least have an idea of how most people eat after they are allowed to. I'm just one week post-op so of course I'm gonna have several questions until I get the hang of it.

Sent from my VS990 using the BariatricPal App

I eat A LOT of chicken.. And surprisingly not tired of it. So many different ways to make it.

I go out to eat sometimes..I usually order the 6ounce sirloin. I ask for a box at the start of my meal and cut it in half for later. I also order asparagus or broccoli as the side, and take half of that home as well. It's probably about a 4ounce meal in total. It tastes great and is high protein/low calorie! I haven't tried popcorn or nuts yet, but I'm sure I will. Usually when I snack I grab a string cheese or a few slices of ham, so I haven't attempted anything like that yet..

I don't feel like eating anything especially this dumb Protein shakes. I loved Water before surgery now I hate it i'm one week out.

It will get better. At one week, getting Protein and Water in can still be very challenging if your new stomach is still swollen. I really turned a corner with water around 2 weeks post-op. I also found that drinking it VERY cold was easier for me. Some people have an easier time with warm water. So maybe experiment with different temperatures.

I am just 4 weeks out and there are things I definitely crave even if its HEAD HUNGER, one of those things is pizza, but I have decided I am not eating anything like that until at least 12 weeks out and the truth is even when I decide to do it I won't be able to eat but 1 slice if that. My thought is that I will eat the right foods 99 percent of the time and save those no no's for the occasional birthday or celebration. We can't stop being human but we do have to take responsibility for our decisions.

Edited by MIMISAN

@@MIMISAN - I had pizza about a month out, maybe six weeks. I ate two bites. I wasn't really that impressed with how it would taste. I eat a square from the really thin crust meatlovers one from Dominos when we order. For leftovers I eat the toppings the next day at work. The crust doesn't have the appeal it use to have, a bite or two and I am done. I have always been a deep dish fan too :/

I don't feel like eating anything especially this dumb Protein Shakes. I loved Water before surgery now I hate it i'm one week out.

I love water and hated it after surgery (it was sweet) 2-3 weeks out it returned to normal and I was able to drink it again. I hope the same goes for you too.