Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Reflux, No Restriction, & Very Little Recent Weight Loss = Stretched Pouch

I tried to hold out because I didn't want 2 surgies either, but I couldn't. I had my band removed in an emergency procedure on 7/30/07 and my approval came through on 8/8/07 for the revision to RNY. My surgeon schedualed me for 10/1/07 for my RNY. He wants me to have 2 months for my esophogas to heal so my RNY will be uncomplicated.

Jane

...chili sauce and I have been hoarse ever since.

... I want to go back to restriction land. Speaking of restriction city, how will you know when you will be good for a refill?

Okay, now, no more chili sauce until you're better okay? :omg:

The important thing is to keep eating like you have restriction. Don't let your mind think it's a free-for-all while you're unfilled. The band itself will still provide some restriction. Pay attention for the first sign of fullness, and then stop. I assume your Doc has you on a liquid diet for a while, right?

Also, and I know it's a pain, but keep a running tally of your calories right now. Set a number that's good for you, and don't exceed it. If you don't know how many calories are in something, just pass on it.

Sorry if this sounds preachy. I'm just letting you know what's working for me.

I'm going to back to see my Doc in 2 weeks. If he says I'm ready for a fill then, great. If not, I'll defer to his good judgment and wait a while longer. I can't tell you how nice it's been to sleep normally -- torso not elevated, no coughing, gagging, etc. I have slept on my side for most of my life, and having to sleep propped up has been a real pain in the... back(?).

How are things for you today? How'd last night go?

--Mike

Well, my neither of my docs - the family one or the band doc put me on a liquid diet - and this is because I didn't see my band surgeon who is a tough guy to get ahold of and my family doc knows nothing much about the band. I did see a fill nurse and the idea which I had to get a complete defill came through LBT and through you. Thank you, eh. :P

I have, however, been keeping up with my usual band-style eating habits which is to say that I eat small, healthy, light meals and make a point of avoiding carbs and fats most of the time. I also try to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. I am now at goal and I sure don't want to lose what I have gained....

My big weakness is that I love spicy and even when I was in the Soup stage I had a habit of putting a couple of drops of hot sauce in my soup. I must stay away from spicy until I am okay!!!! :help: My old weaknesses, the giant portions and the breads and Pasta dishes, those I've got under control thanks to the miracle of the band. But yah, I am afraid that the hunger is going to come back. :nervous Have you experienced this since your big defill? :)

And I am slowly beginning to feel better. I slept the whole night through last night and on my side. This was a very good thing. My voice is still hoarse but less so.

Mike: I saw your first post on the thread and could identify with part of it. Now it has me wondering. The only reflux side effect that I have is that I cough and even cough up a little slimey stuff. Is that considered reflux? Or do you know? I don't have that burning back-wash kind of reflux though that I used to have with the hiatal hernia, pre-band.

I am worried that I have stretched my pouch. I have been banded almost a year and I have had quite a number of fills (probably 12 or so) from my very conservative doctor. I have the smaller band and currently have 3 mil of fill.

It seems that I'm either so restricted that I am ravenous and PB'ing often, or I feel like I have practically no restriction and I'm hungry all the time and I can eat anything.

I've heard about the "sweet spot" and I'm wondering if somehow I've missed it when I may have had it. I'm also concerned that I've overextended my pouch and will eventually cause slippage. So many unknowns to this whole affair!

Any more specific description of how you got to the point where you knew you had stretched the pouch and if your symptoms of reflux were like mine or the acidy kind, would sure be appreciated. Thanks! :phanvan

Guest zsflower

I tried to hold out because I didn't want 2 surgies either, but I couldn't. I had my band removed in an emergency procedure on 7/30/07 and my approval came through on 8/8/07 for the revision to RNY. My surgeon schedualed me for 10/1/07 for my RNY. He wants me to have 2 months for my esophogas to heal so my RNY will be uncomplicated.

Jane

This is what I've worried about too. I've been on liquids only and the new meds seem to be helping, but there's still a chance that I may only be able to have band removal and have to wait for the revision.

Still holding out hope!

By the way, has anyone heard how Karen is doing?

one thing that works great on acid refulx, but i dont have lap band yet and dont know if i can take it, is vinegar. One tablespoon of vinegar about an hour before bed mixed in Water or juice stops acid reflux for many people. But besure to check with doctor first.

Never heard of the vinegar cure. Anybody else ever used it?

I asked my doc about this and she felt that it didn't make sense. She said that reflux sufferer is suffering from stomach acids and vinegar is another acid. I haven't tried this remedy myself.

Hi guys, I'm doing fine, thanks.

My daughter was out of the country all last year, and I finally have insurance that covered my revision and her lapband aftercare. (She was being seen before leaving the country, but not since returning in June.)So she had an upper GI series & is having an endoscopy on Wed. just to check the positioning of her band & to make sure all is o.k.

I'm telling you all this because I mentioned to her doc that I've been reading here about a lot people suffering from reflux.

He reiterated what Dr. Ortiz told me when I was first banded:

IF YOU HAVE REFLUX AFTER BEING BANDED, SOMETHING IS WRONG. YOUR FILL COULD BE TOO TIGHT, YOU COULD HAVE A HIATIAL HERNIA, OR A SLIP, AND YOU ARE DEFINATELY RISKING THE HEALTH OF YOUR ESOPHAGUS.

To anyone suffering w/GERD/Reflux, please, please have it checked out, and if your doctor shrugs it off, see another doctor!

hugs to all,

Karen

Hi Mike, Is what you had the same as esophageal spasms ? I got a frantic call from a friend who is on a cruise in Europe. He keeps pb ing and is in pain. The doc on the ship said it was esophageal spasms and told him to leave the ship and fly back to the U.S. I gave him his lapband doc phone number so he will talk to him soon. But I was just curious if it might be what you are dealing with.

I am so glad I found this thread! Green, you could be telling my story! Regurg almost every night, choaking on acid, sore throat, messy sheets, and no feeling of restriction. I called my doc today and made appt for an unfill. I feel better now knowing that it is not anything more drastic! I was afraid I would have to have my band removed. Thanks! Terri

<p>I am really glad I found this site. I have not lost any weight in almost 2 months. I pb all the time. Some days I can eat almost any amount I want and other days I can't eat much at all. I am beginning to wonder if my fill is too much. I never feel satisfied and am concerned that I am stretching either my esophagus or my pouch. It sounds like I need to have an unfill and let things get back to normal. The pb'ing hurts like crazy and I have a hard time eating most of the time.</p>

Mike, I also had my band done by Dr. Ortiz. The last time I was there Dr. Acosta and Dr. Martinez worked to try to get me to a place where I would have enough restriction and still be able to eat. It has really been tough since then. I pb all the time and end up eating smoothies and things that are probably stopping me from losing weight. I have not lost weight in 2 months, and have only lost about 15 lbs. since my banding in March. It is hard to comprehend, but after reading your post I am wondering if I am filled too much. It seems so counter intuitive...you would think the more restriction the more weight loss. I am concerned about stretching my esophagus or my pouch. It sounds like I better go back and have some restriction taken out.

Thanks, Kathy

I share these problems. This may seem weird; but a part of the month I am eating just fine and then there is a week or two where my band is too tight and I am suffering from reflux and can't sleep and have that burning sensation in my throat. I had my surgery in Chicago and have switched insurances and moved 100 miles away....now my doctor acts like he can't even get me in or work around my work schedule. I need to find another doctor in the Indianapolis area to have me unfilled.