Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism & Diabetes

This message is for Soli31, I have read your posts and would really like to talk with you, because your circumstances sounds exactly like mine right now. I had the Lapband, had it removed, got the sleeve, very little weight loss, looks like it is too big, the pouch, hoping it can be revised, dr and I are discussing it. Please email me or Facebook me. DonnaRobbinsSmith or Mammysm@aol.com would really like to talk if you don't mind. Had upper GI so far, and the Endoscopy yesterday. Thx. Donna

Hi Mammysm -Donna:

I got my sleeve revision with a new surgeon, finally my sleeve is the correct size. I'm following a high Protein low carb diet. In 3 months have lost 40 lbs. I currently eat 500 - 800 calories, 25 - 50g carbs, 80g+ of Protein, 64 oz of Water and exercise. Bariatriceating.com also on Facebook has taught me a lot has been the icing on the cake. Hope this helps. Thanks SoLiel

When I started I was a type 2 diabetic with an A1C of about 13% and I was taking about 100 units of Lantus insulin a day. My blood work from last September showed my A1C at 3.5% and I've been off of Lantus insulin for about a year now. I was taken off the insulin about 4 months post surgery and I was told that I could stop fully monitoring my blood sugars after my A1C came back at 3.5%.

Diabetes was the primary reason I had the surgery. I felt like time for me to reverse it was running out if I didn't loose all the excessive weight I was carrying around. And now that I no longer have to give myself up to two shots of insulin a day, and countless finger pricks to check blood sugar levels is well beyond worth it. I haven't suffered from diabetic neuropathy in almost two years now.

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

I had my thyroid out, so that makes me as hypothyroid as you can get! :D When you are diagnosed with thyroid problems, your endocrinologist will prescribe Synthroid (or the generic) to replace your thyroid hormones. This actually makes your t hyroid work the way it ought to. I maintain and lose weight far better than I ever did with my wonky thyroid. (Sleeved 02/15/16)

I was borderline diabetic when I started my 6-mos. pre-op. I saw my doctor two weeks after surgery and had complete blood work. My blood sugar was all back in normal range. I was very happy since that meant I didn't need meds (I had begged her to wait to see how I was after surgery). Even better, my primary took me off of my high blood pressure pills around the same time.