Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginners Guide to Running for the Obese

Stranger things have happened! Maybe I will try running inside on the treadmill first before I venture outside!

I do almost all of my running on the treadmill. :)

I can attest to the wonderfulness that is C25k. Last night I ran week 5 day 3 of the plan. It is warm up 5 minutes run 20 minutes, cool down 5 minutes. It is a big psychological hurdle that I have never been able to pass in previous attempts. (previous longest run segment is 8 minutes!) I planned carefully. I didn't want to get bored so instead of doing my usual run on the treadmill, I took it outside and ran on the streets and local trail along the Mississippi River - lots more to see and keep me from being bored. Although I was incredibly thankful that the one stoplight I had on my run turned right before I got to it so I stopped for a short breather, I could have kept running and still would have made it.

I evidently run faster outside too, as on the treadmill I never have any problems with my exercise induced asthma, but running outside causes me problems. Gotta remember the inhaler before a run now. :) As it was I made it better than 1.5 miles during that 20 minutes. That distance alone is a new personal record! I have never gone that far or that "fast".

I RUN my first 5k on April 9th. I intend to run a minimum of 80% of the race. I am slow and the 30 minutes of running at the end of the plan will not carry me the full 3.1 miles, but I will be on week 8 day 2 of the plan on race day and plan to kill it! And when I cross the 50 yard line at the football stadium/finish line, I will probably cry! (I almost did last night when I finished my 20 minutes!)

The only other thing that I would add to the wonderful information that JamieLogical posted is to take it slow. keep your eye on becoming a runner. You can add speed later. One of the fastest way to get injured and give up is to go out too fast before your body is ready for the pounding. This is a big reason why I have never gotten this far before. That and an extra 62+ pounds.

Because I won't be able to run the full 5k on April 9th, I will start the C210K (run for 1 hour) training plan as soon as I finish the C25K (run for 30 minutes). I have another 5k in June that should be no trouble to run the whole thing, although it is a killer hilly course so I will need to work on hills at some point.

I have always been active, but never LIKED exercising, but I have found that there is something amazing about putting your body through a challenge and it doing what you never believed possible. I know people who hate to run. I was always a little jealous of those who could. I may never be fast and at 44, I am past my "peak" for ever being as fast as I might have been, but I only have to keep improving.

I like having a race to train for as it gives me a goal and motivation not to slack off. I used to run with a friend, which was great fun, but we haven't been able to get our schedules to sync since my surgery. We were both similar sizes and kept having issues with our legs so we never got as far as I am in the plan now.

Another suggestion/hint I would like to share is schedule your workouts. I currently have my workouts, including where I am in my plan, on my calendar so if I skip a workout, I have to find a way to get it in somewhere else so I don't' get behind. It also means that I have blocked off time for me each day. I am not good at getting up in the morning so I go after work. Its becoming a habit, but I have learned that Fridays are hard to convince myself to work out so that is my one day off each week. Otherwise, I alternate swimming and running with a little bit of weight lifting.

Find something you like to do. don't worry if you don't think you can because of your size. Do it. It will get easier and you will get smaller because of the exercise. Walk, run, swim, Water aerobics, yoga, bike, whatever, just move. You'll be glad you did. Maybe not the first day or week, but it will get better and you will be glad you kept it up.

Whoops that got really long. I guess I am a little excited!

pam

Don't be embarrassed to cry. The first time I ran a mile straight without stopping, not only did I cry, but I called my husband down to the basement where my treadmill is to tell him and THEN, once I was off the treadmill, I called my parents to tell them. This was when I was like 31 years old... And I am sure I have cried at the end of more than one 5k race. I will DEFINITELY cry at the end of my half marathon... though that might be more out of pain and pride...

I RUN my first 5k on April 9th. I intend to run a minimum of 80% of the race. I am slow and the 30 minutes of running at the end of the plan will not carry me the full 3.1 miles, but I will be on week 8 day 2 of the plan on race day and plan to kill it! And when I cross the 50 yard line at the football stadium/finish line, I will probably cry! (I almost did last night when I finished my 20 minutes!)

Don't be embarrassed to cry. The first time I ran a mile straight without stopping, not only did I cry, but I called my husband down to the basement where my treadmill is to tell him and THEN, once I was off the treadmill, I called my parents to tell them. This was when I was like 31 years old... And I am sure I have cried at the end of more than one 5k race. I will DEFINITELY cry at the end of my half marathon... though that might be more out of pain and pride...

Not embarrassed to cry. Just haven't done it yet, although last night was a close thing. If I had had my sunglasses on I might have let the tears flow, but there were too many people around who might have called the cops on the sobbing woman on the trail! :P :rolleyes: I got home last night after my run and texted my sister-in-law who I worked out with over the weekend to let her know that I made it. (She called me at work yesterday to help her sign up for the triathlon that I am doing in August, but she is afraid to swim so she is going to work on getting past that by August!) When we worked out this weekend she commented that I walked faster than she does. I am at least 3" shorter and have really short legs. She has really long legs. She still runs faster, but I walk faster!

pam

Edited by mngreeneyes

This is such excellent information! I really got into running last fall. However I seem to have the worst luck. I tend to overdo it and hurt myself and have to stop. I kept getting shin splints. Now that I've got those under control I seem to have developed runner's knee. I got a little strap that helps with that and I'm doing strengthening exercises to help as well. I haven't been able to run at all for three weeks because after recovering from an upper respiratory infection I've seen to developed some sort of exercise induced asthma - I cough a lot if I do anything faster than a stroll! It's been incredibly frustrating. I feel like a border collie who hasn't been allowed to herd anything in months.

Great, comprehensive post. I found it very educational.

Running is not something that appeals to me but maybe when I'm closer to goal (and get a new knew) I might surprise myself and give it a try.

At what weight did you guys start? I used to be a runner and then stopped and gained a bunch of weight. When I started again, I developed plantar fasciitis. I'm pre-op at this point, but running is my favourite exercise. I just didn't think I could because of the PF....

any good sites for caring for walking/running shoes or when to replace?

At what weight did you guys start? I used to be a runner and then stopped and gained a bunch of weight. When I started again, I developed plantar fasciitis. I'm pre-op at this point, but running is my favourite exercise. I just didn't think I could because of the PF....

The first time I started running I was probably around 250? But that was starting out just running 1 minute at a time. And I use the term "running" very loosely. More like a very slow jog....

Thanks so much for the information!

I'm doing the Couch to 5K app right now (very poorly but trying, and it's making me laugh every time it says at least I'm doing better than those people still on the couch... it's like they know me!)

I won't ever be a runner unless I duct tape my ginormous boobs down (they defy every sports bra/combo I've tried so far), but I think I might make it to a slow jogger. :)

@@FrankiesGirl I was like that too. Even with my industrial strength Enell sports bra I was pretty bouncy. Losing the weight helped because I've gone from a size 8 Enell sports bra to a size 1. I'm much less likely to smack myself in the face with a flying boob now.

@@Indieflickers

I also have battled shin splints in the past. It helps to go slower to let your body adjust to running. Also make sure you aren't overstriding. If you take steps that are too long, it can cause shin splints and all kinds of other issues. I know the feeling about being frustrated. You will get there. Start slow and perhaps do the C25k at a very slow pace to allow your lungs and legs to get back into shape. Another thing would be to make absolutely sure that you have the right shoes for you. I had issues with the running store people putting me in the completely wrong shoes because they looked at me and saw fat girl so put me in motion control shoes. I have high arches and am a neutral runner. The wrong shoes will also mess you up good. It took going to a different store and getting refitted after I had healed to realize what had happened.

EIA-albuterol is your friend. My PCP keeps me up on my prescription. I only use it when I must.

pam

@@mngreeneyes thanks for the advice! I seem to have the shin splints under control now. I was fitted for good shoes, got custom orthotics from my doctor, and wear compression sleeves on my calves. That seems to keep them at bay. They only show up when I ramp up distance too quickly.

What's so frustrating about the lung issues is that, before my chest infection in February, I was able to run a 5k with no breathing issues at all. Now I can't do more than about 90 seconds at a time and the steroid inhaler and albuterol don't seem to help in the slightest!

@@JamieLogical how long did it take for you to overcome the runner's knee? Did you wear any kind of sleeve or strap to help?

@@Indieflickers

hmmm. That's frustrating about the breathing. Sounds like the infection isn't all gone yet. I've had lung infections that hung on a long time which is frustrating.

I am glad your shin splints are doing better. Hopefully your knee and lungs will improve soon.

Good luck!

pam