Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Easter... What the heck am I gonna do!?

Hey guys! I got my sleeve on Feb 25th.... What the heck can I do for Easter!? I'm gonna be surrounded by triggers and my mom is already concerned about having to change things and I don't want my family to have to suffer because I can't partake in delicious ham, corn, mashed potatoes ugh I can't even go on! Any tips??

Self control...
Perseverance...
Water...
Protein...
You'll struggle...
But you'll get thru it...
And it'll be the last Easter you have to worry about it...
Because by next year, everything will be second nature to you...
And you'll know what to do if you think you can't cope..

Or you can do what I'm doing...
Hermiting...
I've holed up alone in my little flat...
I've got enough food to last me the weekend...
I've got job applications and a new gym regimen to complete...
And I've got the BP site for company...
F**k this long weekend and all the social festivities..
I'm busy!!!!

Good luck to you mate...

I was sleeved Nov 18.

For thanksgiving I had a quarter cup of mashed potatoes thinned out with gravy to a soupy consistency. It was delicious after several days of sweet Protein drinks and juice. Of course it gave me the runs.

For Christmas at 6 weeks out I had some mashed potatoes and a couple of bites of cheesecake. I loved the smells of the prime rib but had absolutely no desire to eat any. I go to restaurants with friends all the time. Last night before the theater we went to an Italian place. I ordered caprese salad. I ate a slice of Tomato and all the slices of fresh mozzarella cheese with balsamic. My friends had full meals and lots of bread. No one even noticed what I ate or didn't eat. I had absolutely no desire to have bread and the only thing I felt jealous about was their ability to drink something while they are eating their meal.

I'm not trying to be strong, I really have no desire. Once you realize how little you can eat you will find that no matter what your triggers are you can't do much about it. During the rare celebration times (3) I have had small amounts of cake. Baby shower I split a small cupcake with another guest. It didn't make me sick. It didn't make me crave sweets. If it did either of those things I would just skip it now. I swear I am not struggling with the desire. Who am I??? I love it.

There is always something on a menu that will work so I can eat out and not feel stressed out. I've split meals with friends and then eaten half of my half.

At 4 months I can eat a little more. Sometimes I can eat a small chicken breast in one sitting.

I'm saving so much money on food it is unreal!!

Good luck with the holiday.

Whatever phase your Dr has you on just pick a food that fits that category. Scalloped potatoes? Eat your serving size of 1/4-1/2 cup and stop. I took my vanilla premier Protein Drink at Christmas and heated it up with a little nutmeg on top and felt like I was having hot eggnog.

Try adding unflavored Protein powder ( I get GENEPRO on Amazon)to your Water with Mio or Crystal Light drops in it. No one knows that you aren't having a cocktail. Eat before you go and again when you get home to finish up your Protein. You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SassyNanny

This is such a great response! Thank you for the amazing tips. I have lots of hope now especially since I've been so frustrated lately (my stomach doesnt agree with much) but I am slowly starting to get used to my sleeve and the restrictions. I haven't had much of a problem with the drinking and eating at the same time. If I take small sips I seem to be fine but I never need much especially since I don't eat much. Again thanks for your response much appreciated :)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

@@bigguy928

I was sleeved in Feb last year...

So I'm 13 months post-op...

I can't really digest Protein too well so I'm STILL on three Protein shakes a day...

I eat fish every now and then or a bit of chicken...

On the odd occasion I'll 'chew and spit' a lamb chop...

I'd love a steak but it's not worth the days of discomfort afterwards...

I had the same issue with thanksgiving. I was sleevee in september and worried about thanksgiving foods. But i still enjoyed myself. The menu was not changed for me and most people there didnt know i was sleeved. I had a little bit of potatoes a small pieces of turkey and then latr a small piece of cake. It was great

Some tips...have gum with you. Eat a little then pop some minty gum in your mouth. When you are done eating put your napkin on your plate.

I feel you, I will be on 48 hour Clear liquids pre-op diet for Easter (Surgery Monday morning). I plan to just stay busy, I bought some crafts and stuff to do with the kids. I figure while everyone is eating I will work on helping with dishes and things. I was a little nervous about it but I figured I am gonna have to find a way to do family holidays with a sleeve now. Oh and I plan to just be sipping my crystal light/ Water constantly, like a chain smoker, be filling my next bottle while drinking the first.

You're a month out so... drink your Protein shake. Small bit of thinned potatoes (you can add some non flavored Protein mix), eat a deviled egg (maybe cut the filling by half). I think you're gonna have to skip the ham and corn just yet.

My goal is to find a way to have fun at parties with out eating bad choices or grazing, I am going to have to become a lot more chatty. *Easier said than done, I know.

We got this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Don't have anyone change the menu.

If you are allowed ham, depending on what was your post-op directions were, you get a small slice and chew it very well and eat a deviled egg and maybe a bite or so of sweet potatoes. You CAN enjoy the big eating holidays. You just have to eat smart (protein) and smaller amounts.

I was sleeved last May and ate at the holidays - just smart/smaller amounts.

Now as far as the pre-op person (above) she has no other options.

YOU "got this" !

Eat what you are allowed to eat and be thankful you are surrounded by friends and family, have your health and will be living a long and healthy life due to your WLS to enjoy many more Easters.

Happy Easter, you will do well and your family will understand and support you.

Don't chew gum. All it does is stimulate your digestive juices and make you hungry.

Have you tried a high quality deli ham like Boars Head? You should be able to eat that easily. Potatoes are some thing I don't touch, they offer no nutrtion, just carbs. Does your mom make green Beans with Easter dinner? You didn't mention any green veggies on the menu. We always have green veggies at holiday meals in my family, and as a kid eating them wasn't optional.

Not one person in this thread suggested eating a vegetable. Ugh.

I had Easter right after my surgery. I ate at home and went and enjoyed my time with my family, concentrated on the conversation rather than the food. Everybody was fine and supportive and glad I was there. Wasn't an issue at all.